Motorweek retro. Silverado is a trim level :)

Moend

9 hours ago, TODD DUALLY said:

I recently bought 1989 454 extended cab dually 4x4 4spds. Love the 454! A project truck. I have been considering to change the transmission and upgrade to a 5 speed or six speeds, would love a corvette manual transmission. 

You need a NV4500 trans if you want to retain 4x4 and have a easy manual swap. A T56 or TR6060 would not be a good choice for that truck. Be noted, a NV4500 is by no means a high performance manual trans. My 99 dually has 4.10's and I am shifting into 5th (overdrive) at 80kph or 50mph at hits the 6.5L Diesel's redline at 120kph, but it is very tough and forgiving to new drivers. I only had one employee destroy the clutch in her, she keeps on going otherwise. 

13 hours ago, L86 All Terrain said:

100%. most of today's problems stem from the overcomplicated computer controlled era. My 98 didn't need constant updates, or spend a week in the garage for "software" issues or problems with "lane departure assist". 

You still see a lot of GMT700's up here. Most of the 800's and many 900's have hit the scrap yard from rotten bodies and frames, and computer issues already. They built those $20,000 trucks to last for 15+ years. Now automakers figure out their profit margins are better if they sell you one for $60,000 that only lasts 8 years. You will be back much sooner to spend $80,000 on the next era's, then $100,000 on the following era etc-etc.

Amen brother. I work in the industry and I am one of those who write the software but I am considered a dinosaur. Now a days we get them fresh out of college and they write the software. Its all game for them and back in the day we had a controller that did one thing and one thing good. Now a days the controllers do a lot of things but almost non good. And it seems like it is expected that software is not perfect as long as we release new iteration every other week... I was in a meeting and a kid was like so what its not perfect we will fix it next release. Almost punched him right in the guts. I was like are you crazy this is not your F'ing iPhone if it crash on you while playing angry bird it's no the end of the world. Puting safety aside,  We are controlling expensive stuff here do you really want to distroy an engine over software. Good grief.

i feel sorry for the new generation their future is not so promising. A lot of things have not advanced in the past few years if nothing else we went backward. Honestly I haven't heard of any thing that wow me in the last 10 years as far as technology advancement.  

15 hours ago, TODD DUALLY said:

Thank you for your inputs and expertise. Why would a  T56 or TR6060 wouldn’t be a good choice manual transmission? Upon reading about them, they sounded what I need. 

Those are 2wd car transmissions. Not the correct gear ratios, gear spacings and probably strength for a 4x4 dually truck doing truck things. Also, since they are 2wd transmissions they won’t be setup to have a transfer case hanging off the back of them. 

On 9/5/2019 at 9:24 PM, AJMBLAZER said:

They did, that’s what the 8.1 was. 

The 8.1 was a 496. I love my '02 8.1, plan to keep it forever. 

The first new truck I bought was a '97  RCSB with the 350. I think '96 was the first year for the Vortec, power went from 235hp to 255hp. I order the truck with the Silverado package, Z71, trailer package, cassette AND CD lol, the only option I didn't add was leather seats. I even paid extra for two tone paint. Even with the top of the line Silverado package, steel wheels were standard, I had to pay extra for aluminum.  I'll have to fine a picture.....

Edited by 383
  • Like 1