Motorweek retro. Silverado is a trim level :)

Moend

Love watching these remind me of an era I lived in when I was a small boy. used to see these trucks in magazine cut them out and put them on my wall and drool over them.

My favorite part 10mpg and folks here complain about 17mpg lol

Cheers ?

• Like 5

Some people even have the nerve to call the 5.3 a dog when it’s over a second faster to 60 than that sad TBI big block could manage in a relatively lightweight 2WD RCSB. 

I love the look of the 454SS but by every other measure it’s pretty terrible in today’s standards. What a great time to be a truck buyer!

Edited by OnTheReel
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I hear ya.

Actually, I would love a 99 5 speed 5.3 rcsb for a Sunday ride

Big 5.3 fan here. Between me and my dad we owned 6 of them 99 07 07 08 16 and now my 19 and the 8 speed has helped this engine be even more peppy 

I loved how those trucks looked back in the day, but even back then 454 SS was    not so quick at best.  Super traction limited.  But cool.  In 91 they went from a turbo 400 3 speed and 3.73 gears to a 4l80 4 speed auto and 4.11 gears, and horsepower went to I think 255ish.  

Edited by SILVER SLED

If they rebooted it in 1996 with the Vortec 454, it could have been something somewhat more exciting.

Otherwise I would have went right for the Syclone in that era. Couldn’t tow or haul squat, but it famously smoked a Ferrari in a Car & Driver test. That’s good enough for me. Wish they would make something like that today...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I don't know. But does anybody think that materials quality was much better back then. I have a feeling my 19 Silverado cloth seat going to be torn in 3 to 4 years just from getting in and out. Technology was basic back then but worked unlike now my display freeze up or glitch at least once a week..

Edited by Moend

1 hour ago, MacLaren said:

Did I hear that right when they said 230 horse power?

I know and cylinder size of a garbage can lol. That size engine should be putting 500horses at least

My first new truck was a '94 K1500 with the Silverado trim package.  Back then that was the top-of-the-line (like the High Country today).  It included tons of "luxury features" like a/c, power windows, manual sliding rear window, tilt steering, cassette deck with equalizer, and fabric on the door panels instead of vinyl!  :cheers:

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, sk said:

My first new truck was a '94 K1500 with the Silverado trim package.  Back then that was the top-of-the-line (like the High Country today).  It included tons of "luxury features" like a/c, power windows, manual sliding rear window, tilt steering, cassette deck with equalizer, and fabric on the door panels instead of vinyl!  :cheers:

Yeah, my grandfather definitely didn't spring for that on his 1993 K1500 ECLB farm truck. 

• 3 weeks later...

I recently bought 1989 454 extended cab dually 4x4 4spds. Love the 454! A project truck. I have been considering to change the transmission and upgrade to a 5 speed or six speeds, would love a corvette manual transmission. 

On 8/13/2019 at 10:26 PM, Moend said:

I don't know. But does anybody think that materials quality was much better back then. I have a feeling my 19 Silverado cloth seat going to be torn in 3 to 4 years just from getting in and out. Technology was basic back then but worked unlike now my display freeze up or glitch at least once a week..

100%. most of today's problems stem from the overcomplicated computer controlled era. My 98 didn't need constant updates, or spend a week in the garage for "software" issues or problems with "lane departure assist". 

You still see a lot of GMT700's up here. Most of the 800's and many 900's have hit the scrap yard from rotten bodies and frames, and computer issues already. They built those $20,000 trucks to last for 15+ years. Now automakers figure out their profit margins are better if they sell you one for $60,000 that only lasts 8 years. You will be back much sooner to spend $80,000 on the next era's, then $100,000 on the following era etc-etc.