New truck, 2-300k miles?

4 hours ago, KARNUT said:

Early on we had a couple 74 Ford 4 door one tons. 390-C-6-410s. High rise, 735 Hollies, long tubes full exhaust. Real screamers. We hauled campers, hay trailers, goose neck trailers. We worked them hard. In the late 80s we did a cab on frame up. Got a few more years out of them. They were a blast. Could have done it again. Our business was booming we started buying new trucks. Capable or not there’s no way I’d consider driving them now, no matter the condition. My 92 is all the farther back I’d go. That’s just part time. My daily I’m struggling to get passed two years. I’ll save my money elsewhere if needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Friend of my brothers had a 64 Ford with a 390. Lost it in a divorce. Judge said turn it over to the ex. Lee filled the tank. Parked in her front yard. Dropped a brick on the loud pedal. Locked the door and walked away. It ran out of gas without blowing up. She drove it another decade. 

:crackup:

• Haha 1

On 8/17/2019 at 2:49 PM, Aaron Klemm said:

Let’s say I bought a new Sierra next year and wanted to get it to 200,000 to 300,000 miles. What are my odds? What issues will I run into along the way? Which will be most serious?

Need a transmission cooler 

for sure with out your transmission will barely make it to 150k

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cpl_Punishment said:

What will you buy instead? 

Hard to say. I’ve recently looked at Ford and it looks like the F150 is having engine and many QC problems. Toyota maybe?? Not really sure. 

Edited by RE1

Hard to say. I’ve recently looked at Ford and it looks like the F150 is having engine and many QC problems. Toyota maybe?? Not really sure. 

My money would be on Toyota after 200K miles. They seemed to have traded fuel mileage for reliability. They same reason I drive a Camry not a Impala for my trip vehicle. No turbo, stop start, cylinder deactivation. I still get 33-35 miles per gallon depending where I set my cruise.

• Like 3

I must say, after having one with 270k, I'm glad I'm not worry about that anymore. 

100k, and that's it. Especially seeing how nice this new DFM & 8 Speed tranny are. I'll be ready to get another new one after 100k. 

The days of going, and going, and going are over. For me anyways :)

3 hours ago, KARNUT said:

My money would be on Toyota after 200K miles. They seemed to have traded fuel mileage for reliability. They same reason I drive a Camry not a Impala for my trip vehicle. No turbo, stop start, cylinder deactivation. I still get 33-35 miles per gallon depending where I set my cruise.

My wife's Corolla got 5.8L/100 km (41 miles per U.S. gallon) on a recent highway trip when it was fully loaded with camping gear, we had the A/C on and the 4 speed auto was running at 2900 rpm at 110 km/h (70 mph). I can only imagine how incredible the fuel economy would be if it had even a 6 speed and could cruise at closer to 2000 rpm.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KARNUT said:

Exactly. I’ll take the reliable dinosaur with poor fuel economy over AFM/DFM/start-stop neutered trucks that GM and Ford are putting out. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RE1 said:

Lol. “Rock solid” might be a bit of an overstatement. 

They are 100% better than 900's the 800's had there issues and I was fond of 800's but the K2's are stout they really are!

1 hour ago, mookdoc6 said:

They are 100% better than 900's the 800's had there issues and I was fond of 800's but the K2's are stout they really are!

I hope so man. Mine has had is fair share of issues but thankfully the powertrain has been good. I’m at 95k miles and really, really hoping not to have a catastrophic failure just out of warranty. 

Edited by RE1

This is a 100,000 mile truck as of today.

“Because time and unforeseen occurrence befall them all.”—Ecclesiastes 9:11

Barring that I can't think of a solid reason she wont be looking or running like this at 200K or even 300K.

Total repair cost to date, under $20. Pinion seal.

IMG_0177.thumb.JPG.4b9a91c87e362ac23051dccdbb741f27.JPG

IMG_0160.thumb.JPG.93773348112168fad50fad7c51c2ce7d.JPGIMG_0165.thumb.JPG.e970dbe4414abe53829584b49a9a1b54.JPG

• Like 1

This is a 100,000 mile truck as of today.

“Because time and unforeseen occurrence befall them all.”—Ecclesiastes 9:11

Barring that I can't think of a solid reason she wont be looking or running like this at 200K or even 300K.

Total repair cost to date, under $20. Pinion seal.

IMG_0177.thumb.JPG.4b9a91c87e362ac23051dccdbb741f27.JPG

IMG_0160.thumb.JPG.93773348112168fad50fad7c51c2ce7d.JPGIMG_0165.thumb.JPG.e970dbe4414abe53829584b49a9a1b54.JPG

Like you I’m ocd on keeping them looking good. My wife’s 11 Genesis looks new inside out. It wouldn’t be that easy if we didn’t have a car just for bad days. That’s where the Camry comes in. Even my 92 Chevy could pass for new on the inside. Being an outside vehicle the paint is starting to fade. My wife’s toy a 2001 Acura could pass for new. A bad weather vehicle makes all the difference.

• Like 1

What kills most if not all trucks in my neck of the woods is the darn salt on the roads in winter time.  That is some nasty mean stuff and almost or pretty darn much impossible to gaurd against.  I'm super interested in Krown, but the closest dealer is in Ohio and I live in the Blue Ridge of North Carolina. 

What I'll prolly do is buy the stuff myself, put it on a lift and spray it, or get someone else too.

Somethins gotta be done. That salt is a friggin menace!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MacLaren said:

What kills most if not all trucks in my neck of the woods is the darn salt on the roads in winter time.  That is some nasty mean stuff and almost or pretty darn much impossible to gaurd against.  

Yep. Live in the rust belt. 

2 hours ago, KARNUT said:

Like you I’m ocd on keeping them looking good.  A bad weather vehicle makes all the difference.

Yep. Mouse, my 2006 Civic is our salt car. Pepper sits outside 24/7/362. Deegan's puts her under a roof when there is over night work. She gets wet but salted seldom. I have got caught a time or two and wash it silly at first thaw. Factory white wax, undercoated, seam sealed and Line-X. Keep it cleaned and waxed. Keep up on chip repairs is HUGE. 

That said Dad lives in Iowa, has a 98 and while his isn't as clean (he's 91) and the truck lives outside his paint looks great! He fixed a cab corner last summer, rust. Rest of it is rust free even though he drives all winter. Forget who did his rust proofing. There was a foam block in that area that prevented the treatment from reaching that spot. 

• Like 2