New truck, 2-300k miles?

I would say that I have never owned a car for more than 7 years, which ends up being around 100k miles for me.  Most of the time I ended up selling/trading around 60k miles.  

As much as I like the concept of having a vehicle for 15-20 years, the advanced in safety, fuel economy, and connectivity makes it more attractive to me to get into a newer model rather than R&R my existing vehicles.  

That said, I think (with no real data...) that any modern car will go ~10+ years assuming maintenance and issues are dealt with quickly before they turn into major problems.

Edited by NeverCold
  • Like 1

Again, I find this thought provoking!  I often wonder what would be different in my life if I kept one of my earlier trucks.  I often see my '00 Silverado around and know it would have pretty high mileage.  I ran into a guy recently with an '86 F150 SuperCab in his driveway.  It was still his DD and had ordered it new.  (It was like the one I owned 1/2 dozen pickups ago!)    However, OP isn't inquiring about the longevity of previous trucks.  We can only assume the new ones will fit the pattern of the past. and I see no reason that they won't.  I remember in the 70's and 80's people saying modern trucks will never make it to "collector" or "vintage" status... Guess what?

Well, like I said earlier, got an 07 Classic with 270k, but I ain't doin that again. 

Plus, and this is a big plus imo, is that I'll be getting older too, so when that 100k comes up in about 7 years, I'll be ready for a new one.

And having a new one when I'm in my 50's and later is a good thing imo. 

The thing I have most often seen fail was the transmission, due to lack of changing the fluid often enough, and using high quality synthetic. A number of people I know neglected their 5.3L based GM's transmissions and paid dearly for it around 120-150K miles. Just follow the maintenance, use the best fluids you can buy (I use mobil 1 and amsoil, it's worth it).

There are a few guys on this site I would bet could drive a rubber duck to 300K. Others can't seem to get a stone axe to 30K.

Some will say it's luck of the draw. I say it's the operator.  Wanting a thing to be so is different than the mind set it takes to make a thing so.

IMHO you can get anything, even a Yugo to 300K.

Question isn't will the truck make it to 300K. Questions is, are you the guy willing to do what it takes to make that happen? 

Well...are you that guy? 

• Like 3

I got a 2019 Custom with the 5.3 AFM and 6 speed.

I always wondered this, how many miles are the 5.3 with AFM getting before having issues?

I had a 2005 with the old school 5.3 and that thing was a champ. 

Not sure how reliable these 5.3 with AFM are. I plan on installing a AFM disabler soon to hopefully maximize life out of this engine. 

I actually do plan on keeping my truck until parts are flying off it lol.

My goal is to pay this off in 4-5 years, then get into a very nice, smooth riding sedan (getting old and bad back), but keeping the truck for jobs around town, shooting, etc.

So I actually would love to be able to get 200-300K out of mine.

Edited by Sin City Trail Boss

On 8/17/2019 at 7:33 PM, econometrics said:

Yeah, I got 130K out of my 2007 1500 and started to get that eerie feeling that something bigger was going to fail. I put less than $1000 into that truck over 11 years. And most of that was all routine maintenance. Never once had a major issue. But I was knocking on a lot of wood, then GM rolled out the T1. It was finally a truck I felt was worth upgrading to. Glad I did. 

But I don’t see myself driving my 2019 RST more than 50-60K before getting a new one now. 

That motor on your 2007 was just breaking in. Those LS motors run into the high 200-300K all the time. I hope the new ones are the same but there are more things to  go wrong on the new ones.

51 minutes ago, Gagliano7 said:

That motor on your 2007 was just breaking in. Those LS motors run into the high 200-300K all the time. I hope the new ones are the same but there are more things to  go wrong on the new ones.

The motor, yes. The rest of the truck... not so much. Things were wearing out quickly. The seats, the radio / AC controls (no surprises there), the suspension components, etc. 

Dad would tell you that if he had had the lubricants we have today in 1936 he'd still be ridding his Knucklehead. I believe him. He just gave me his 70 year old Toro Lawnmower and it awesome. He's got 25 years on me. Best I can say is if I had had the lubricants we have today in the 60's I'd still be driving my 65 Ford. Okay, I'd have to know then what I know now as well. Even at that things wear out and the point is???????

Fix it.

There really is no point other than total destruction where new is more economical than repair.

IMHO of course.   

Edited by Grumpy Bear

These late model K2/T1 trucks will not last like a GMT800/900 if that's what your asking. The parts/build quality is not there. I have a 2014 Silverado that is on borrowed time, meanwhile my 1999 3500 keeps on trucking 300 days a year. It comes down to years over miles really, and the environments that you drive in. If its all highway 200k no problem, if that's bush miles, it will still do it, but don't expect to have much of a truck left at that point. We run our trucks in logging country. Rough gravel roads, we have owned many GM's and Fords since I was a kid, nothing was a reliable and tough as the 07.5-13 HD's. Bombproof. I just hope my 2018 2500 lasts as long but it has already been in the shop 200% more than my 2013 2500 with 1/10th the miles, not looking promising. 

• Like 2

Early on we had a couple 74 Ford 4 door one tons. 390-C-6-410s. High rise, 735 Hollies, long tubes full exhaust. Real screamers. We hauled campers, hay trailers, goose neck trailers. We worked them hard. In the late 80s we did a cab on frame up. Got a few more years out of them. They were a blast. Could have done it again. Our business was booming we started buying new trucks. Capable or not there’s no way I’d consider driving them now, no matter the condition. My 92 is all the farther back I’d go. That’s just part time. My daily I’m struggling to get passed two years. I’ll save my money elsewhere if needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seems like GMs now days start falling apart at 75k-100k. Ford and Ram are probably about the same if not worse. 

They want the lemmings to buy/trade every 2-5 years and they don’t care about building quality products that last. 

When mine dies, I probably won’t rebuy. 

Edited by RE1

I think if you put those miles on in 10 years or so yes.. Also depends on if you're in the part of the country where they have to salt the roads... My 2016 has almost 80k on the clock and I have only done routine maintenance plus some brakes, tires & shocks... The 5.3 is still running strong and the trans seems good... I did have all the drive line fluids changed at around 50k miles and plan to do so again at 100k... I'm only planning on keeping mine another year or two though so it maybe the next owners problem... I'm going to be about $2k upside down on the truck next year and I'm thinking it's going to be $1000 of tires and $500-$800 of maintenance (I know I could DIY it for less but, I'm just not comfortable with some of that stuff) and I might rather just use $2k to pay off the loan instead of putting it into the truck and buy a 2020 as I would prefer a crew cab anyways.. 

2 hours ago, RE1 said:

Seems like GMs now days start falling apart at 75k-100k. Ford and Ram are probably about the same if not worse. 

They want the lemmings to buy/trade every 2-5 years and they don’t care about building quality products that last. 

When mine dies, I probably won’t rebuy. 

What will you buy instead? 

• Like 1