Have a loaner 2019 GMC SLT not impressed

1 hour ago, econometrics said:

Meh, I disagree. Take, for example, the fact that it took GM until 2019 to finally get to where Ford was on rear seat legroom & air vents. The K2 seats were basically the same as the GMT-900's. The front end styling on the 2014/2015 was a total yawner, too. 

Every truck produced these days is very evolutionary. Even the all-new Ram is. Because the technological advancement curve has flattened in the past few years. 

This is why anyone who has a negative perspective on the T1 almost always starts their lists with very minor complaints, as the OP did here. 

Is it wrong of me to think you’re both right?The K2 was a major step forward on interior materials and engines, all the while just using a modified GMT900 platform, only the carryover 6 speed trans at first, and looks that were evolutionary at best.

T1 brought in the rest of the needed changes...a new platform and modern looks, higher tech and lighter materials along with minor powertrain advancement and major transmission improvements.

Moving from one to the other may not be a major difference for everyone (I happen to think it was a huge step up for me) but all in all, GM took some big risks and some big steps toward making the best truck even if it’s not there yet in some peoples opinions. The bones are there. If they can come up with a fancy interior to appease people that are much higher brow than me, Ram will have absolutely no calling card with it’s old powertrains, heavy platform, and lackluster economy.

PS, I hate the click wheel. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, OnTheReel said:

Is it wrong of me to think you’re both right?The K2 was a major step forward on interior materials and engines, all the while just using a modified GMT900 platform, only the carryover 6 speed trans at first, and looks that were evolutionary at best.

I'll happily admit my bias against the K2 was / is mainly from the fact that GM didn't give the CC the legroom its competitors were offering in the rear seat (along with vents), as well as the alignment of the steering wheel continuing to be biased to the right as you sat in the driver's seat. That was so annoying in my 2007, and I didn't understand why they did not update that in 2014. Took them until 2019 to finally correct that. 

Edited by econometrics

1 hour ago, econometrics said:

Meh, I disagree. Take, for example, the fact that it took GM until 2019 to finally get to where Ford was on rear seat legroom & air vents. The K2 seats were basically the same as the GMT-900's. The front end styling on the 2014/2015 was a total yawner, too. 

The GMT800 had rear air vents. GM did away with them in the 900 to cut costs, which was a huge mistake. The K2 seats are a lot nicer than the 900s were, they have a whole lot more bolstering and are more cushy. The K2 reminds me a lot of the GMT800, just with a little more tech. The build quality on those trucks is leaps and bounds better than the GMT900, which in my opinion, is the worst truck GM made in a long time. I skipped over the whole 900 generation and went to Ford, the K2 brought me back. 

2 hours ago, econometrics said:

I'll happily admit my bias against the K2 was / is mainly from the fact that GM didn't give the CC the legroom its competitors were offering in the rear seat (along with vents), as well as the alignment of the steering wheel continuing to be biased to the right as you sat in the driver's seat. That was so annoying in my 2007, and I didn't understand why they did not update that in 2014. Took them until 2019 to finally correct that. 

I've driven and ridden in K2s a bit at work (and took one for a short test drive) but most of my experience to date with modern trucks is from sitting in them at car shows. In previous years, I always thought the F-150s had too much leg room in the back seat and I figured they should shorten the cab a few inches and either put that space into the bed or shorten the entire truck. 

I had enough familiarity with driving a K2 that when I sat in a T1 for the first time, I thought the steering wheel was off-set the other way. Lol

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, jlong1984 said:

The GMT800 had rear air vents. GM did away with them in the 900 to cut costs, which was a huge mistake. The K2 seats are a lot nicer than the 900s were, they have a whole lot more bolstering and are more cushy. The K2 reminds me a lot of the GMT800, just with a little more tech. The build quality on those trucks is leaps and bounds better than the GMT900, which in my opinion, is the worst truck GM made in a long time. I skipped over the whole 900 generation and went to Ford, the K2 brought me back. 

That's interesting because I've heard a couple guys say the GMT-900 was the most dependable truck they've owned. 

I can see that my listing criticism of the new body style wasn’t received well.   You have to understand that as you get older you like what you are used to.  Having controls stay the same is something I like and prefer.  There are a lot of technology improvements to this style I like a lot.  I was heavily thinking about getting a 2020hd and I am just disappointed because since the interiors are very similar to the 2019 1500, I have backed off of the idea because I truly don’t care for the inside.  The finishes inside just seem cheaply done.  As a gm fan boy myself it makes me sad they keep increasing the price and decreasing quality.   It is just my opinion and I hope you enjoy your new trucks,  I am sure they will serve you a long time.   

On 8/22/2019 at 10:12 AM, econometrics said:

To go from a 2004 to a 2014 was a *revolutionary* jump. A 2014 to a 2019 would feel more *evolutionary* to most people. 

Nonetheless, thanks for the feedback. 

I skipped the K2 series because I felt GM was years behind Ford with that platform, after already being years behind with the GMT-900 for years.

I feel the T1 is finally a platform that puts GM at the forefront of modern trucks. I went from a 2007 GMT-900 to my RST, so it was pretty revolutionary for me. 

And apart from the few minor things you’re pointing out here - which are preferential - the 2019s are much, much improved over the K2 line. 

Agreed on that jump...I went from driving my fathers 2003 z71 to my 2019 RST.....feels like a spaceship...things feel amazing, well put together and sorted easy. Controls are easy to reach and function well. Granted I am left handed haha. To put it in perspective, my mother owns a newer audi and this truck if equipped well I feels rivals that.