Have a loaner 2019 GMC SLT not impressed

I have a 2014 K2XX 6.2 truck.   Overall it has been pretty good except the rear end has been overhauled twice and went out a third time at 107,000 miles.

That is why I have the loaner.  Observations of the 2019 GMC SLT

I had to drive to a site where one of my generators and equipment are.  I got to test out the tailgate as a work bench and that works great!!    The outside looks are nice and so is the mileage it gets.  If you are using this for a commuter truck and a weekend tow rig this might be a good compromise. 

Things about the truck that make is seem really cheap:

1.  The leather on the seats don't seem like that are stretched properly and have bunches or leather on the seat both drivers and passengers.

2.  Steering wheel design is cheap and diameter is smaller than K2XX

3.  They changed up the steering wheel buttons for the menu and setting the cruise.  They seem really annoying how they are controlled (right hand roller button)

4.  Leave the tow haul button in the end of the shifter,  should have left the trailer brake on the top left.  

5.  Leather used on the dash and stitching seems cheap.  Same with the plastic surround around the infotainment screen in dash.

6.  Truck seems really light weight, reminds me more of driving a car.

7.  Stop Start feature while at a stoplight.   I realize they are wringing out every last drop of mileage they can get, this feature is just plan annoying.

I like the controls where they have been on my past trucks and as I get older the reason I am brand loyal is I like where buttons and things are so I don't have to learn new locations.  (Even though there are changes each time from bodystyle to bodystyle)

I am sure they are great trucks but I do like my K2XX interior design better. 

I loved the jump from my 2004 to my 2014.   I don't care for this 2019.  

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, OmahaBen said:

I have a 2014 K2XX 6.2 truck.   Overall it has been pretty good except the rear end has been overhauled twice and went out a third time at 107,000 miles.

I had to drive to a site where one of my generators and equipment are.  I got to test out the tailgate as a work bench and that works great!!    The outside looks are nice and so is the mileage it gets.  If you are using this for a commuter truck and a weekend tow rig this might be a good compromise. 

1.  The leather on the seats don't seem like that are stretched properly and have bunches or leather on the seat both drivers and passengers.

3.  They changed up the steering wheel buttons for the menu and setting the cruise.  They seem really annoying how they are controlled (right hand roller button)

4.  Leave the tow haul button in the end of the shifter,  should have left the trailer brake on the top left.  

5.  Leather used on the dash and stitching seems cheap.  Same with the plastic surround around the infotainment screen in dash.

7.  Stop Start feature while at a stoplight.   I realize they are wringing out every last drop of mileage they can get, this feature is just plan annoying.

I like the controls where they have been on my past trucks and as I get older the reason I am brand loyal is I like where buttons and things are so I don't have to learn new locations.  (Even though there are changes each time from bodystyle to bodystyle)

Ok

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

“My old truck has had 3 major failures of the same part in 107,000 miles but I don’t like the new truck because change is bad and GM didn’t personally consult me.”

Gotcha. Thanks. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

To go from a 2004 to a 2014 was a *revolutionary* jump. A 2014 to a 2019 would feel more *evolutionary* to most people. 

Nonetheless, thanks for the feedback. 

I skipped the K2 series because I felt GM was years behind Ford with that platform, after already being years behind with the GMT-900 for years.

I feel the T1 is finally a platform that puts GM at the forefront of modern trucks. I went from a 2007 GMT-900 to my RST, so it was pretty revolutionary for me. 

And apart from the few minor things you’re pointing out here - which are preferential - the 2019s are much, much improved over the K2 line. 

• Like 2

Yeah, I'm coming from a 2007 Classic, and she was / is a great ole truck. But, my goodness I cannot stay outta this 2019! 

My wife loves it, my daughter loves it, and everyone I know really likes it. 

I especially like that fact, that I now go from 400 miles to a tank to 500 miles a tank. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, econometrics said:

To go from a 2004 to a 2014 was a *revolutionary* jump. A 2014 to a 2019 would feel more *evolutionary* to most people. 

Nonetheless, thanks for the feedback. 

I skipped the K2 series because I felt GM was years behind Ford with that platform, after already being years behind with the GMT-900 for years.

I feel the T1 is finally a platform that puts GM at the forefront of modern trucks. I went from a 2007 GMT-900 to my RST, so it was pretty revolutionary for me. 

And apart from the few minor things you’re pointing out here - which are preferential - the 2019s are much, much improved over the K2 line. 

Huh? That is contradictory to pretty much every negative view of the T1 (which I still think is a fantastic truck and a nice evolution with a more revolutionary exterior though). Everyone says it isn't much of a step up over the K2, from interior design and materials to using the same engines and a few new added features. Most would agree  the K2 was a bigger jump from the GMT than the T1 is from the K2. Don't get me wrong, I am a fan of the new trucks and like their approach (the more I see the exterior the more I like and and appreciate the slight revamp of the interior and putting their upgrades in the proper areas of the new truck) but they aren't anymore to the forefront than the K2 was; actually when looking at reviews I would say the K2 was more a leader of the pack at the time but competition has stepped up since their reveal 6 years ago.

Tyler

It seems the consensus is on this forum is that if you say anything negative about the new trucks you are crazy, irrational and out of your mind.  Nothing is perfect, and pretending something is is just ignorant. 

For what it's worth, when I was driving a 19 for a weekend,  that was being bought back, besides the bad looks (a chrome grilled and bumpered LT) I didn't like the roller control on the steering wheel, my palm kept bumping it and changing what ever when I turned sharp. 

And, for what it's worth, I'm not vein enough to not buy a truck because of how it looks.   A current Trail Boss or RST and maybe a High Country (money permitting) wouldn't be a bad truck. 

1. The leather will shrink. All new leather is slightly loose.

2. It is smaller in diameter and it took about 3 days to get used to

3. Same thing. Took about 3 days to get used to. Biggest charge was the wheel on the right side

4. Tow/haul was moved because other models have multiple modes. I have an AT4 and it has Touring, sport, tow/hail, and off road. They needed more than a gear shift button

5. The dash is literally the same faux leather padded plastic from the previous generation. The dash trim isn't as nice but that's minor...

6. I've never once thought this truck seemed light weight. I did however feel like this truck was huge when I first started driving it compared to my 14 SLT.

7. Start/stop is annoying. I turn it off as soon as I get in the truck.

I like the interior much better than my 14 even though I think there are areas they missed the boat or could've improved more. However, no vehicle is perfect.

Bottom line is there's absolutely no comparison between the 14 and the 19. The 19 is hands down a better truck.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

30 minutes ago, amxguy1970 said:

Most would agree  the K2 was a bigger jump from the GMT than the T1 is from the K2. Don't get me wrong, I am a fan of the new trucks and like their approach (the more I see the exterior the more I like and and appreciate the slight revamp of the interior and putting their upgrades in the proper areas of the new truck) but they aren't anymore to the forefront than the K2 was; actually when looking at reviews I would say the K2 was more a leader of the pack at the time but competition has stepped up since their reveal 6 years ago.

Tyler

Meh, I disagree. Take, for example, the fact that it took GM until 2019 to finally get to where Ford was on rear seat legroom & air vents. The K2 seats were basically the same as the GMT-900's. The front end styling on the 2014/2015 was a total yawner, too. 

Every truck produced these days is very evolutionary. Even the all-new Ram is. Because the technological advancement curve has flattened in the past few years. 

This is why anyone who has a negative perspective on the T1 almost always starts their lists with very minor complaints, as the OP did here. 

• Like 1

I had a 2015 loaner when my AT4 was in for some BS (long story). I also traded in my 2015 Denali 2500hd duramax for the AT4 and was worried I was going to miss my old truck. I’m not towing as much and don’t need the 3/4T ride as my daily driver hence the trade. I wouldn’t go back. Ya there’s a couple things that are placed differently but the rest of the truck is a nice step forward. The new truck drives much nicer than the 2015 1/2t I was in and I like the new interior size and everything in general much more than my Denali.

The one thing I don’t like as much is the cheap plastic control knobs that are going to have the silver paint wear off over time and look like shit.

^ The LED headlights on my AT4 are insanely good compared to the garbage that was on my 15 HD. I swapped to LED bulbs and the 15 was better but the new 19 is astounding.

Edited by dw91
  • Like 1

I have a '19 Custom and I love it. It addresses many of your concerns:

No leather on mine, so not a concern.

I agree, it does feel cheap, mine is not even leather-wrapped!

Custom does not have right-hand buttons, problem solved!

I had that on my older Ram and was constantly bumping the thing with my thumb when shifting. Hated it. Plus, new multi-function modes require a different control, a shift-lever button would be kludgy scrolling through several modes. Knob is easier. Also, mine didn't come with a brake controller, so nothing to complain about there.

Ain't got leather on the dash, no worries here.

I came from a car; this truck is anything but light weight!

I have the 4.3 V w/AFM, thus no start/stop.

So there you have it, if you want to solve most of these issues, get the cheaper model and don't look back! ?

Edited by UncleDave
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1