Help me decide--1500 vs 2500

As this thread indicates, everyone has different thoughts on  which truck serves their purposes best.

Probably why there are so many versions available.

I ran dmaxes for about 10 years, then as usage changed decided to return to 1500's.

Ran a 6,2 DC.  Found out I missed the crew cab.  Long story why, but it wasn't NHT and I missed the mirrors.

Changed to a 5.3 crew std box NHT 8 speed.  Didn't like how it towed a 7x14 enclosed V-nose utility trailer Ont to AZ. Couldn't imagine doing it with a travel trailer.

I'm back in a Dmax and happy, even though none of the jobs it does require it.  I guess I just prefer the way they drive,

Seriously interested in the 2020's.

Both the 10 speed 3.0L dmax in 1500 and also the updated L5P with 10 speed in the HD's. 

YMMV.  

Edited by redwngr
  • Like 1

i had thoughts of going to 1\2 if ever a diesel , but pulled 20ft enclosed trailer with a half ton 800 mile round trip and made my mind up - never trailer that far with half ton . if was only an hour or two sure. so bought 2020 2500hd sierra denali after selling my 2009 duramax 

• Like 1

I guess you guys don’t have many pot holes or rough road surfaces if you prefer the HD. Around here it feels like your destroying the truck if you pick the wrong line down the road. 

The OP said they don’t tow much at all and  do light duty work with it. Big difference from working it daily and towing bigger loads constantly. 

2 hours ago, dw91 said:

I guess you guys don’t have many pot holes or rough road surfaces if you prefer the HD. Around here it feels like your destroying the truck if you pick the wrong line down the road. 

The OP said they don’t tow much at all and  do light duty work with it. Big difference from working it daily and towing bigger loads constantly. 

We have many pot holes in MN..It doesn't matter 1500 or 2500, if you hit one you'll feel it!  I will say, and I'll admit I've only had it 1 day, my new 2020 HC Silverado seems much smoother and quieter than my 2017 I traded.

• Like 1

I didn’t think I cared in my 2500HD’s, I thought they rode fine. Now that I’m back in a 1/2t I realize I just had my rose colored glasses on. The 1500 isn’t like a magic carpet but the truck absorbs the really sharp impacts better. You still feel the bump but it doesn’t feel like you’ve got no suspension or. I had 20” tires on both my HD’s and they were the oem Goodyear sra’s, maybe swapping them out would’ve been better or an 18” tire? 

If I were towing regularly again I’d be back in a 3/4t diesel without question. That’s where these trucks shine and unquestionably drive better than a 1/2t. Doing dump runs, moving furniture, towing 3-4 times a year or short distances, I’d rather have the nicer ride day to day but hey, that’s just me. I know I’m in the HD section so I’ll leave it at that.

Edited by dw91

Go heavy-duty and you'll never look back, go Duramax and you'll be even happier never looking back.  I've owned ½ ton, 2500, and 3500 gas and now a Duramax and I can say without a doubt the Duramax is my favorite truck to drive towing or not and I do drive rough roads since I live in the country and rough roads are the norm.  I'm averaging 17 mpg in my 2020 and got as good as 22.5 mpg on the highway, now this was what the truck was telling me so take it with a grain of salt.

• Like 1

To each his own but I’ll just say that even for occasional hauling as you describe you will be SO much happier with a 2500 diesel. I’ve been through similar thought processes, owned 1500s, 2500s both gas and diesel and the 2500 diesel with std bed is such the way to go. I’ve used one for daily driving in a decent size city and never had an issue. If you are even seriously considering getting a travel trailer or other RV then there shouldn’t even be a question. I regularly get better gas mileage with a HD diesel than my wife gets with her 4RUNNER. 

• Like 2

On 8/29/2019 at 6:37 AM, dw91 said:

I live on rural gravel roads in farm country Iowa.  It is 2 miles of gravel road from my house to the nearest hard top.  The roads can get pretty bad at various times of the year.  I like our 2500HD over the previous 1500 that I mistakenly bought, thinking I was buying another  truck.  Even the wife prefers the 2500 over the 1500.  All I had was 2500's before I had a lapse of judgement and bought a 1500.  After much frustration and inventing new swear words, I went back to the 2500.  Lessoned learned.

You might have some potholes, even some that have names, but I travel over 140,000 miles a year commercially and while there is some pretty bad hard top roads around the country, there is nothing quite like the gravel roads in my area, especially in the spring.   During the more challenging seasons on those roads, my wife will use the 2500 over her Equinox.  The roads can be bad enough that the Equinox literally bottoms out on the roads.  

But I have no use for the diesel version and no desire for it.  Everything I do with my 2500 can easily be done with a gas engine.  But I need to haul more than even the most beefed up 1500 can comfortably haul.  There is no advantage to going diesel for me.  Even with the higher MPG of the diesel, it doesn't come in at a lower cost per mile for fuel than me using E85 in my 2500.   Diesel is over a dollar more per gallon than E85. Even with the better MPG of diesel, it still ends up about the same cost per mile on fuel alone.  So while getting a better MPG number might make one feel better, it may end up being just a smoke and mirrors illusion painting a false reality.

Edited by Cowpie

10 hours ago, Cowpie said:

There is no advantage to going diesel for me.  Even with the higher MPG of the diesel, it doesn't come in at a lower cost per mile for fuel than me using E85 in my 2500.   Diesel is over a dollar more per gallon than E85. Even with the better MPG of diesel, it still ends up about the same cost per mile on fuel alone.  So while getting a better MPG number might make one feel better, it may end up being just a smoke and mirrors illusion painting a false reality.

So in one sentence you say “it doesn’t come in at a lower cost per mile for fuel than me using E85 in my 2500”. Then you say “Even with the better MPG of diesel, it still ends up about the same cost per mile on fuel alone. “ So which is it? Better using E85 or the same?

What isn’t a false reality (to me) is simply how much better the diesel drives empty or loaded...No need for me to spend time crunching numbers.   Even if their is a slight penalty to overall cost,  the diesel is well worth it.  

And I doubt, for most that buy a Duramax, that gas mileage is the reason.  Per your own calculations the cost per mile on fuel ends up being the same..knowing that, why would anyone buy gas?  You’ve successfully convinced me diesel is the way to go.

3 hours ago, CRApex said:

So in one sentence you say “it doesn’t come in at a lower cost per mile for fuel than me using E85 in my 2500”. Then you say “Even with the better MPG of diesel, it still ends up about the same cost per mile on fuel alone. “ So which is it? Better using E85 or the same?

What isn’t a false reality (to me) is simply how much better the diesel drives empty or loaded...No need for me to spend time crunching numbers.   Even if their is a slight penalty to overall cost,  the diesel is well worth it.  

And I doubt, for most that buy a Duramax, that gas mileage is the reason.  Per your own calculations the cost per mile on fuel ends up being the same..knowing that, why would anyone buy gas?  You’ve successfully convinced me diesel is the way to go.

Why would anyone buy the gas version?  Could be, like me, the need for diesel is not there to justify the additional $10K initial cost.  And also, having the diesel version is not going to be any cheaper to operate over the life cycle.  

I dont tow a mobile home with my 2500, but I do haul more weight frequently than a 1500 is realistically capable of and on rare occasions tow something that would be at the extreme limits of a 1500 tow capability.  Neither of which justifies having the diesel version.  And the gas version gives me more payload available than the diesel version.

I guess since my business is commercial trucking I am more inclined to see things on a cost per mile basis.  And for what I use my 2500 for, diesel offers no lower cost per mile than using the gasser.  While at the same time I am not doing anything with the 2500 that the gas version can’t handle comfortably.

I already buy 21,000 gallons of diesel a year for my commercial use.  I have no desire to buy more for personal use.  I have been working with diesels since the 1960’s.  They have their place but I know the pros and cons very well and I don’t buy them when I don’t need them.    I let others fawn over diesels and get all starry eyed.  I just never fell for the marketing mystique about diesel pickups or felt the need to wow my neighbors by having one.

Edited by Cowpie

5 hours ago, Cowpie said:

I let others fawn over diesels and get all starry eyed.  I just never fell for the marketing mystique about diesel pickups or felt the need to wow my neighbors by having one.

I didn’t buy one to impress the neighbors, I could care less about that and marketing had nothing to do with it.   I’ve driven both, have 6.0 gas versions for my business too.  The Duramax simply drives better loaded or unloaded, that’s my opinion and I prefer it.  if the cost per mile of fuel is the same, per your own calculations, even better.  Nothing wrong if you prefer to drive a gas truck, to each his own.

• Like 1

Maybe the extra weight is why it feels like it handles better?

Interesting thead to read.  I constantly bounce from wanting a diesel to gas and doesnt seem right or wrong either way....biggest issue is cost.  Diesel platforms seem much more intensive when work is needed and use much more fluids.   Gas engines are easy to work on, but the fuel is no match for diesel for towing.   

Both gas and diesel HDs seem pretty hard to find relative to the 1500s for sale out there