Help me decide--1500 vs 2500

The marketing makes it seem like an HD truck is for people who tow around bulldozers on flatbeds, which I will never even come close to doing. I also feel like the marketing makes it seem like the 1500 is capable of "anything" but it seems the reality is far from that. I'm new to this whole truck thing...help me out!

Right now I've got a 2016 Silverado 1500 double cab, which was my first truck. It's been problem free but I want to upgrade to a crew cab now that I have 2 kids, a dog, etc. I like having the standard bed and I am fairly certain the 1500 crew cab short bed would be too short for me. So I played around with building a 2020 1500 CC standard bed, but now I'm thinking maybe I should just go 2500. I use my truck as a truck but nothing extremely heavy duty.  I do not commute with it,  and my double cab only has 15,000 miles on it. I have a drift boat on a trailer that I tow to the river, with put-ins that can be very muddy/steep and with sharp angles into the water, so I like ground clearance and nothing hanging down low to get scraped but I also like it to be easy to get my trailer on the hitch. I might get a larger boat in the future, for in-shore salmon fishing but that is a few years away. I do regular dump runs, moving furniture for friends/family, picking up a couple yards of dirt for landscape projects, sometimes heavy rock. Camping trips with a fully loaded bed and sometimes the boat, and maybe a camper in the future. 

Sometimes I have to do two trips into town but I could've done it in one trip with a 2500. Also, I feel like if I tow my boat and also fill the bed with camping stuff/wood, it just feels like its overloaded, even though I'm still technically within the payload and tow rating. The 5.3 is not the issue, it has plenty of power, but braking is an issue, and the suspension just feels like it isn't happy. I probably won't ever tow more than 10,000 pounds, and most of the time, it'll be less than that.  But I like to have more capability than I need, in case I do need it. And I like that the 2500 standard bed is 3 inches longer than my current bed. But, never having owned a heavy duty truck, will I be disappointed with the gas mileage?  I don't drive a huge number of miles, and I can afford the gas, but I do love the fact that I can hit 23mpg on the highway in my 1500.

Looking at the new 2019 1500 trucks, several things give me pause. First they are lighter than ever, yet at the same time, bigger in all dimensions. Second all the engines feature start/stop which I completely hate. Third they are pricier than ever and it really isn't that much more to step up to an HD.  It seems a bit like the 1500 trucks are veering in the direction of pavement princess commuter trucks. I feel like you get a lot more truck for the money with the 2500's. I wonder if now is the time for me to step up. My gut is telling me yes, but I would like a gut check from you fine folks. I'd of course go with the 6.6 gas since I don't tow heavy.  Also, my goal would be to keep this truck "forever"  (I don't want to worry about buying a new truck for a very long time).  

Edited by protovack

I downgraded from a 2500 to a 1500 half ton about 5 years ago.  Regretted it and only kept it for a year and was so thankful to get a good deal and get back into a 3/4 ton.  And yes, the short bed isn't worth it.  The 6.5 bed is better by far.

I just purchased a 2019 Sierra 1500 SLT with the X31 package and the 6.2 L engine.

I was amazed by the Hp and torque of the engine and the well matched 10 speed transmission.

Mine has the Crew Cab and short 5'8" bed.

I do miss the ability to slide 8' sheets of plywood into the bed the way I did on my Yukon XL with the seats down.

The thing is that the Crew Cab with a standard 8' bed is so long you'll never find parking on the street or in super markets. 

I LOVE the new Pro Tailgate.

I am having problems with the cameras and can't get them to work correctly ... The dealer and I tried

6 other vehicles that he had on his lot and each one had different camera programs, none were really good.

There is no 360 degree camera display ... this SUCKS.

Unless you are towing something really heavy I'd say the 6.2 is enough.

The big problem for me is the suspension ....

At 55 to 65 mph on a curved road that has the slightest bumps the truck dances all over rhte road ..... dealer has no solution yet.

We think it might be the Rancharo shocks are not valved correctly .... I know of another gentleman who is having the same problem.

8-01-2019 New Tonneaqu Cover.jpg

Edited by jediscuba
miss spelling

You can get a crew cab 6’6” standard bed in 2014+ 1500. They are kinda rare vs  the short 5’8” bed. My crew standard bed 1500 has 1900lbs of payload with the max tow package and is rated for 11,700 towing. Although I wouldn’t want to tow that much with a 1500. 

If I ever upgrade it would be a 2500 / 3500 single rear wheel 2021 with standard bed which is now nearly 7’ on the new T1XX generation. 

I like the new 6.6L Gas but won’t buy until GM puts the 10 speed behind it. Currently it’s stuck with the 6 speed. Of course the L5P duramax is awesome with the 10 speed GM built Allison but it’s a $10k option. 

Edited by 2018GMC

You would likely be much happier in a 1500 and standard bed.   I cant stand the short bed, its so tiny!   But yeah good luck finding one...All of your needs are addressed well with a 1500.

For ease in hitching, I use these things called Hitchin' Sticks.  Its a godsend and I can back my truck onto the trailer perfect almost first try each time, no guide needed and my license plate has never been hit.

1500s are so much better daily drivers.  If you plan on towing over 8,000lbs quite often Id say a 2500 might be nice to have.  But yes you will be very disappointed with the MPGs and if you dont need it dont buy it.

If you hate the bed size of the shortbed, buy a little utility trailer for bigger stuff.   Just think logically how many times you actually needed the larger bed. Haulling rock back and forth? Get it delivered, its often free of charge.  Maybe the extra inches would help that one time you help a buddy move by cramming in more junk....but would it be faster renting a little box trailer?  I don't think a few times means its worth the huge $$$ and footprint increase for convenience.   

If I were in your shoes, I would just keep what I have and get a camper shell/tonnaue cover for all the gear.   If you need bigger space often for landscaping or misc stuff then get a little trailer on stand by.  Cover the trailer with tarp and drop or whatever you want on it.   Problem solved!

I don't get 1/2 tons unless you need a real light truck for offroading or something.  Loaded up they cost about the same as a 3/4 ton and they are barely 1/2 the truck.

I have had at least a 2500 as a daily driver since 2010 (I have a 2019 3500 DRW right now), and have had a Duramax since 2013.  I'll never go back to a 1/2 ton or a gasser; the diesel is just a better truck to drive, even unloaded and not towing.

Also, although you say you don't tow heavy, I suspect that changes if you get a truck that can actually tow heavy.   Since I got bigger and better trucks (my daily was a Tundra from 2007 to 2010), my travel trailer got bigger, I picked up a dump trailer and a 14k flat bed, and I haul big stuff around anytime I want without having to do math and hope I'm not overloaded.  Personally, for me, 7k is about all I would want to tow with a 1/2 ton, since I know how much better towing is with a more capable truck.  If you are towing 10k pounds even occasionally, IMO, you should be looking at more capable trucks.   

Edited by jjackkrash

I’ll add my 2 cents.

I drive a 2016 diesel 3500 for work. Emissions makes it terribly unreliable. Don’t go diesel. Unloaded, it rides like it doesn’t even have suspension.

I just upgraded my canyon diesel, again don’t buy diesel they have issues unless you delete, to a Sierra 1500 6.2. The ride is nice, it’s a short bed. Hard to find regular length beds on the lot but you can order one.

Here are the big differences. 2500 gas mileage really isn’t good. The 6.0 consistently gets 12-13mpg in my experience. Payload is much better but normal maintenance is more. Brakes, oil changes, tires, etc all higher price. HD trucks have a better warranty. The MSRP is similar but they never discount 3/4 tons. I just got the 1500 with discounts for $13k off sticker. Same sticker price on the 3/4 I wanted but all that was offered for that was 0% for 60mo. Hard to argue $13k off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you're worried about fuel mileage get the half ton. To me price wise the half tons make zero sense. As some one else already said you can get a comparible trim level in an HD for close to the price of a 1500. More capability and stronger components. I can't help you with the bed length as I'll never own anything less than an 8ft bed anymore. I don't live or go downtown often so the supposed maneuverability "problem" doesn't exist for me, even when I do I get by just fine. Another plus for the HDs are ride height, you sit higher so you have greater visibility. When unloaded you don't have to keep the tires aired up so much. Ask your tire manufacturer for an inflation table, set pressures based on that. Pressures on the door sticker are based off max load, on my dually they're based on max axle load which I can't hit without going over gross. Should help tire wear too. Since you plan on keeping the truck for a long long time another plus for the HDs are if you get bigger trailers you'll already have the pickup to handle them. Most people seem to go bigger rather than smaller.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

38 minutes ago, green02crew said:

The MSRP is similar but they never discount 3/4 tons. I just got the 1500 with discounts for $13k off sticker. Same sticker price on the 3/4 I wanted but all that was offered for that was 0% for 60mo. Hard to argue $13k off.

You need to time HD incentives better or find a different dealer.  I have never done worse than $10k off sticker on my last 4 HD trucks and I got $12k and some change off sticker on my 2019 3500 (1 2500 LTZ, 1 2500 LTZ Duramax, 1 2500 Denali Duramax, 1 3500 Denali Duramax.) 

You need to time HD incentives better or find a different dealer.  I have never done worse than $10k off sticker on my last 4 HD trucks and I got $12k and some change off sticker on my 2019 3500 (1 2500 LTZ, 1 2500 LTZ Duramax, 1 2500 Denali Duramax, 1 3500 Denali Duramax.) 

The dealer has no control over GM discount offerings. I waited until the 2020 HD trucks came out hoping to find some good discounts on the ‘19s. 0% for 60mo is all there was. Not any better timing than that.

23 minutes ago, green02crew said:

The dealer has no control over GM discount offerings. I waited until the 2020 HD trucks came out hoping to find some good discounts on the ‘19s. 0% for 60mo is all there was. Not any better timing than that.

Right now my dealer is advertising $13k off msrp on ‘19 Denali HD and that is before some of the GM discounts.  Look else where

I tow around 8500 lbs regularly and rarely heavier loads.  I upgraded to a 2500 Duramax 3 years  ago and will probably never go back to a half ton.  My Duramax gets 2 MPG better mileage than my old 6.2 and 4-5 MPG better when towing plus diesel is cheaper than the premium you have to put in the 6.2.  If you want a standard bed 1/2 ton in any of the higher trim levels you pretty much have to customer order it.

I love the way it handles and for longer trips I’m not maxing out the payload with the boat plus a loaded bed and 4 people.

I don’t have any experience with a 2500 gasser though and I know the Duramax drives the price above a 1500 by a decent amount.

14 hours ago, jediscuba said:

The thing is that the Crew Cab with a standard 8' bed is so long you'll never find parking on the street or in super markets. 

I believe the standard bed being referred to is the 61/2 ft. bed.  (3 in. longer on the new trucks).   I know we used to think of the 8' bed as the regular bed and the 6!/2 ft.  bed as the short bed! ?

15 hours ago, protovack said:

. I'm new to this whole truck thing...help me out!

I'm old to this whole thing.  I don't really want to be, but the option to getting old is far less desirable.  I think you are trying very hard to justify a 2500/3500 series gas truck.  I personally think you should follow your gut and buy one.  You will feel like your driving a truck and have the confidence you are looking for when hauling your loads. I love the feel of a 3/4 ton truck and the new ones look absolutely fabulous.  The obvious downside is fuel economy but this doesn't appear to be a big issue in your situation.  Submit pictures when you have your new truck!

• Like 1