Help me decide--1500 vs 2500

The lack of discounts is solely why I went with a dealer in St. Louis as nobody near me was willing to deal.  Ended up with about $9k off of sticker so I'm pretty happy with that being they were just released.  Their 2019s are advertised from anywhere from 10-14k off sticker.

I mainly want all the new toys of the 2020 however when the interior is updated I'll be trading again as I was torn between the Sierra and Ram but the drivetrain sold it. The GM interior is fairly lack luster and the Rams have nailed it.

• Like 1

Sometimes I regret buying a gasser 2500hd over the duramax but I enjoy changing the oil once a year and doing nothing else besides putting a lot of gas in it. Only put about 4-5k miles a year on it though. Just plan on 12 city/15 hwy mpg in stock form. Towing mpg will be the same as your 5.3. I had a 2011 Sierra 1500 with 5.3 and hated the way it handled our toyhauler, the 2500 is much better suited for it.

thanks everyone. I think I will go ahead and check out the gas 2500s, as I doubt I would ever recoup the 10,000 premium for the diesel. I'll probably be waiting a year or two while the kinks are worked out. 

Edited by protovack

I think the mileage in the new 6.6 Gas variants will be better than the outgoing 6.0L options. From what I'm seeing, reading and hearing, it's likely you can expect 15mpg average vs 12mpg . A 15mpg average is about what I see in my '13 5.3L. Looks like most of the new ('19my+) half tons with gas motors are rated at 17mpg avg. Although a more powerful motor, I personally wouldn't consider the 6.2L as advertised mileage is roughly the same as the 5.3L however you will need to run 91oct+ to see those numbers. Also, I think it is widely excepted that the 5.3L is a more reliable, longer living motor than the 6.2.

For what its worth...  I'm currently in the market for a new truck. I have experience driving and towing with 1/2, 3/4 and 1 tons, gas and diesel. I currently drive ~20kmi/year and my truck is my daily driver. I tow a 7k pound boat (total) regularly at 72mph for 2 hours at a shot. I spend a considerable amount of time off road, on logging roads and in potentially deep snow. I haul a lot of gear on the weekends. I have two carseat aged kids. I appreciate safety, capability and durability over ride quality. I am currently working two deals on a '20 Sierra HD SLE 6.6L.

By the information you have provided a 3/4t would be overkill. If your truck is a dedicated tow rig and remains in the driveway until the weekend, would you consider a used truck at half the cost? You are just burning your warranty and money by purchasing a new one to sit in a driveway. 

just a little info to think about,  the short bed on the 19s is actually larger than the earlier models,  its longer (5'8" vs 5'6") deeper and wider which gives it nearly as much capacity as the older 6' 6" beds.

However the issue is that most gravel pits or landscaping places don't have a bucket on their loaders narrow enough, so a portion of what their loading ends up on the bumper or ground.

I too had a hard time deciding to go 1500 or 2500 just like you,  but after factoring in how many times a year I would really need the "extra" that the 2500 would provide,  I went with the 1500,  mostly for the great mpg ( I'm averaging 22).  Great truck so far, no regrets...

I just recently went from a 2015 duramax Denali 3/4t to a 2019 AT4 Sierra 1/2t. I was using the duramax to tow my trailer (7x21 ~6000lbs) maybe 8 times a year and then the same type of thing as the OP, a dump run here or there, move some furniture, and regular home owner type stuff. Sometimes I was towing 24hr each way and I absolutely loved my diesel for it. As a daily driver I thought it was just fine, a bit rough, not great on fuel, took forever to warm up, but it was my truck and I loved it. Now that I’m in my new AT4 and towing not nearly as much and the distance will be at most 3hrs one way, I’m happy I switched. The new cab size is a big step forward, it rides like the 3/4t did when loaded, and it’ll tow my trailer with ease. I know it won’t be as great at towing but for every other thing I use my truck for it’ll be much better. 

Edited by dw91

On 8/25/2019 at 6:37 PM, greatmizzou said:

I subscribe to deboss garage and he pretty much says you are crazy to go diesel when you tow occasionally....unless you are a mountain of money.

the duramax/allison combo is like a $10,000 premium

Not sure I buy this argument or at least this part of the argument when it comes to diesel. What people who say this leave out is the fact that when you go to trade the diesel in, you are going to get about $10,000 more for the truck. Run the numbers on KBB. Get the trade in value on what would be today about a 50K gas powered 2500 after 4 years. Then do the same for 60K diesel. There is almost zero cost to own that engine except the interest and a few other things. What I have found is the diesel is worth about 40 and the gas about 30 after about 4 years.. However- Those few other things are significantly higher repair costs (buying an extended warranty may help this) much higher maintenance costs, higher fuel costs which in this part of the country eat up all your fuel saving and DEF costs. The new Duramax is paired with a 10 speed and has shown great mileage capabilities, so maybe you might save a little on fuel. I really don't see how you come out ahead with a diesel but it isn't as expensive as they say, assuming you don't incur major repair costs. 

We tow about 5K miles per year on average. It's only a 6K pound trailer loaded, maybe 6.5K. It is a bit much for my Tundra. Payload capacity is the problem. I really like the Chevy/GMC 2020s. The trailer tech is really nice and I love how the trucks look. The 6.6 gas is probably the way I am going to go, but I am very hesitant buying any engine with direct injection.  The valves sooner or later will probably need to be cleaned and that isn't cheap. I just figure the truck will be under warranty or traded in when it happens. I think we are still years away before the diesel pollution controls are reliable, but for whatever reason I am still tempted to get that oil burning engine. I am almost glad I really can't afford it. 

I’ve had 3 of the pollution control diesels and have had 0 issues.  Pick up my 2020 tomorrow.  Your resale comments are right on the money.  My opinion is any additional costs, which aren’t overly significant, are worth it.  The diesel flat out tows awesome.  Great to drive when not towing as well.

I've had 6 different 1500's over the years, and only one 2500HD. Now that I've experienced how a 2500HD handles "truck stuff," I don't think I'll ever go back to a 1500. Another reason is how I used to set up my 1500's. I always ran a level and larger tires. They didn't ride that great, and the MPG wasn't very good either. I'm only getting about 2-3mpg less than my most recent 1500, and it's a LOT more truck. 

Edited by Big Whiskey
spelling
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, CRApex said:

I’ve had 3 of the pollution control diesels and have had 0 issues.  Pick up my 2020 tomorrow.  Your resale comments are right on the money.  My opinion is any additional costs, which aren’t overly significant, are worth it.  The diesel flat out tows awesome.  Great to drive when not towing as well.

Congrats on the new truck. Can't wait to hear about it. Is anyone getting any discounts on the 2020s? I saw someone got one in St. Louis. That's a bit far for me, being about 15-16 hours away. 

I have had both, Last 1500 was a '17 maxtow 6.2. Loved that truck, fantastic mileage great power and rode very well. But we spend 4mo a year in our new fifth wheel and it weighs 17k.

Our '18 2500 is good and with air bags, and increased capacity tires handled the weight fine. But I got a great trade for the 2020, and went 3500 this time.

As stated I will only be doing diesels from here out as the trade value is so much better on the Duramax, you get your money back and more to compensate for the $10,000 option.