Should I buy a 13 year old Silverado?

12 hours ago, muddkatt said:

Being down here in Florida, I see a lot of "salt " vehicles from the snowbirds and transplants. First thing I noticed in the photos was the fender flares and the chrome tape . Both are used to hide rust.

I can't help you on the Canadian import info.

Listen. 

VERY good.   Did you hang around the old 9c1.com site?  I was on there for a number of years.  I had a 93 9C1 for a few years and drove many of them when I worked at the Sheriff's Office. 

If you have 12k to pay cash, I would look for a newer used truck that will less likely have been a beater. I understand the whole trying to be financially smart but 12k for for a 13 year old truck sounds too much of a gamble since you don't know how it was driven, treated or maintained. If it spent countless hours idling, that too will take a toll on the engine life. I know the 2014s and newer have an hour counter, perhaps they did in the 03-06? Not sure where in Idaho you are but,

2010 Silverado at Twin Falls Chevy in Idaho $17k

https://www.twinfallschevrolet.com/VehicleDetails/used-2010-Chevrolet-Silverado_1500-4WD_Crew_Cab_143.5%22_LT-Twin_Falls-ID/3481638963

2016 Silverado for $21k

https://www.twinfallschevrolet.com/VehicleDetails/used-2016-Chevrolet-Silverado_1500-4WD_Double_Cab_143.5%22_LS-Twin_Falls-ID/3429788433#close

Just an idea. I drive my 2001 Silverado most of the time these days instead of my 2014 and with nearly 170k on the odometer it is still running strong. I took ownership of it last year from my dad who bought it preowned in 2002 so I'm not biased against the GMT800. Best of luck.

9 hours ago, Colossus said:

VERY good.   Did you hang around the old 9c1.com site?  I was on there for a number of years.  I had a 93 9C1 for a few years and drove many of them when I worked at the Sheriff's Office. 

Nice. Yeah I prowled all the GM forums back in the day. I got rid of my ‘94 in 2008 so it’s been awhile. It was a retired Oregon State Police cruiser. 

6 hours ago, Wayne3593 said:

If you have 12k to pay cash, I would look for a newer used truck that will less likely have been a beater. I understand the whole trying to be financially smart but 12k for for a 13 year old truck sounds too much of a gamble since you don't know how it was driven, treated or maintained. If it spent countless hours idling, that too will take a toll on the engine life. I know the 2014s and newer have an hour counter, perhaps they did in the 03-06? Not sure where in Idaho you are but,

2010 Silverado at Twin Falls Chevy in Idaho $17k

https://www.twinfallschevrolet.com/VehicleDetails/used-2010-Chevrolet-Silverado_1500-4WD_Crew_Cab_143.5%22_LT-Twin_Falls-ID/3481638963

2016 Silverado for $21k

https://www.twinfallschevrolet.com/VehicleDetails/used-2016-Chevrolet-Silverado_1500-4WD_Double_Cab_143.5%22_LS-Twin_Falls-ID/3429788433#close

Just an idea. I drive my 2001 Silverado most of the time these days instead of my 2014 and with nearly 170k on the odometer it is still running strong. I took ownership of it last year from my dad who bought it preowned in 2002 so I'm not biased against the GMT800. Best of luck.

Indeed. My original plan was to take my $10k and use it on a down payment for an Ecoboost F-150 (I know, blasphemy). 

But the thought of no payments made me think about an older used truck. 

The 2007-13 Silverados are fugly IMO. The Sierras are decent. 

I appreciate the input, I’m having second thoughts for sure. 

14 hours ago, carl1783 said:

Indeed. My original plan was to take my $10k and use it on a down payment for an Ecoboost F-150 (I know, blasphemy). 

But the thought of no payments made me think about an older used truck. 

The 2007-13 Silverados are fugly IMO. The Sierras are decent. 

I appreciate the input, I’m having second thoughts for sure. 

I understand the wanting no payment thing all to well especially if you are already making payments on a vehicle. If you're open to other brands, that'll open more doors for sure. All brands and generations within brands have their issues so you'll have to pick and choose. I would avoid Toyota trucks made before 2011 (I believe) as there was a class action suit against them for the Tundra and Tacoma frames rusting out prematurely.

In my area their advertising brand new leftover cars for 14K. Nissan Sentra, Hyundai’s Elantras, a few CPOs in that price range. Now you have warranty’s and good gas mileage. Food for thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looked at the truck. Mechanically it’s in good shape. No leaks, squeaks, drips, or anything. Oil and trans fluid look good. Fires right up. 

Truck has some rust. Frame looks fairly typical for a truck this age. Rockers looks pretty good. Pics attached. Worst part of the rocker is posted below. No fender or corner rust on the body.

Looks like the Lift is some kind of bracket lift? Anyone help me out on that? Truck is running 35s and the mud flaps rub but that’s it. 

Got the RPO sheet, has HD tow package and rear locker among other options. 

Didn’t make an offer today. Need to look at it more. 

Thoughts? 

5F23D9C9-2571-4E83-8ED0-640988D7A45C.jpeg

Edited by carl1783