Suburban Towing Capacity

Trying to get some realistic numbers. I am finding very wildly different answers and numbers. My wife is wanting us to get a travel camper with enough room to sleep 6 to 8. I originally thought about getting a 2500 pickup so I could opt in for 5th wheel also, but even with the crew cab space for the 6 of us would be limited and already really cramped. I have decided a suburban would be my best bet, but I am hesitant to put 6 and the weight of a camper into a 1500. So I am looking at some older (like 2006) 2500 Suburbans. The problem is, I'm finding the towing capacity for 2500 is way less than the 1500. How accurate is this? I would think a 2500 would excel in this. Anyone have any insight? Things I could do to make a 1500 more capable without killing the drive train? Things I could do to a 2500 to make it more capable? Am I just looking at the wrong vehicle?

Thanks

I don't think you are going to be able to do what you want with a Subruban or a Yukon 2500. The trailer is probably going to weight 6,000-9000lbs dry depending on how big you go. Then if you seat 6 people plus cargo, you are going be probably 1,500-2000lbs right there, which already takes away from your total GVRW.

And with a trailer hooked up, you are well over the limits. From some searching I did real quick, I saw around 9,300-9,700 depending on 2WD/4WD but didn't know if there was a max trailer package with 4.10 gears that made it more. This was looking at the 2007+ model years with a newer 6.0.

No way a half ton should do that or could do that weight either.

A 2500 silveardo/sierra is going to be able to tow more.

Maybe the newest ones go that high but I went all the way back to 2006 and then 2007+ to see what some of the differences were.

The older GMT-800 platform was only 7,600lbs towing with the 6.0/4L80e. Then the GMT-900 platform got the 6.0/6L90e with a tow rating of around 9,700lbs. The combined weight rating is max of like 16,000lbs. So that makes sense when the truck itself is over 6,000lbs.

I have a 2013 1500 Suburban with the HD Trailering Package, I searched high and low for it. It has: Engine oil cooler, transmission oil cooler, 2 speed transfer case, rear locker, 3.42 gears, and that gives it a 7,400 GVW and an 8,000 tow capacity.

A 2500 Burb with the 6.0 has a 9500 tow capacity so even a 3/4 ton Burb doesn't get you that much more than a decked out 1/2 ton. You could always add air bags or another rear leaf and a weight distributing hitch but if you ever have an accident, if you are over the stickered tow rating it will be that much easier for your insurance to blame you.

• 1 month later...

Th SUV has a higher curb weight and limited payload capacity. Hitch and tongue weight for your requested trailer easily 1,000lbs. add passengers and cargo in the vehicle your at max GVWR and over GCWR

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/29/2019 at 6:32 PM, mulvane said:

Trying to get some realistic numbers. I am finding very wildly different answers and numbers. My wife is wanting us to get a travel camper with enough room to sleep 6 to 8. I originally thought about getting a 2500 pickup so I could opt in for 5th wheel also, but even with the crew cab space for the 6 of us would be limited and already really cramped. I have decided a suburban would be my best bet, but I am hesitant to put 6 and the weight of a camper into a 1500. So I am looking at some older (like 2006) 2500 Suburbans. The problem is, I'm finding the towing capacity for 2500 is way less than the 1500. How accurate is this? I would think a 2500 would excel in this. Anyone have any insight? Things I could do to make a 1500 more capable without killing the drive train? Things I could do to a 2500 to make it more capable? Am I just looking at the wrong vehicle?

Thanks

The GMT800s don't get higher tow ratings unless they have 4.10 gears, same with 2007 GMT900 2500s.  The 2008-2013 2500s all have 6-speed transmissions and 3.73 gears and are towing beasts.

My 2002 Silverado 1500 LT 5.3Gas 4X4 Z71 with the HD tow Package and 4.10 gears. the book said 8800lbs(Bumper pull/eq hitch),  just fyi the 3.73 tow limit is 7800.

Edited by Vanaj
Added info
  • Like 1