Mice issues

jbugj

Apparently GM engineering does not consider mice a problem when their trucks are engineered.  Some people have said in different forums that mice getting access is not the manufacture's issue to worry about.  You know what I say to that statement...

There are two points mice get access.

One of the mouse access locations to get into the cab heat/air intake system is the cowl at the bottom of the windshield (2014-18 and maybe other years).  They get in at a gap at either side of the cowl right next to the hood hinges.  This has a wide gap.  Then they go all the way in, to the top of the cabin filter in the vehicle and build their nest. I would suggest filling those cowl gaps with maybe something like a plastic mesh scouring pad cut to size, or something similar.  The issue seem to be when you have the ventilation to 'fresh air', thus the fresh air door is open between the firewall and the heating duct system.  Some have said to put it in 'recirculate' to close that door, but I don't believe it's the owner's duty to have to remember to do that every time they park the vehicle. I like constant fresh air into my vehicles.   Any other suggestions for this are welcome.

The other location mice have gained access to the inside of the cab of the vehicle are gaps at the very back corners of the cab at the bottom.  I believe they only can access these if you have step bars, or the side steps.  I have used folded galvanized window screen cut to size and fitted in these gaps.  Never had a problem after that.  They may be drain holes, so don't do anything to tightly plug them.  These gaps have been on GM truck for many years.

I hope this helps those with mice problems. 

Every vehicle ever made has ample ways for vermin and pests to enter.  They're right, it's not the manufacturer's problem.  Don't park in a field or in a forest and leave unattended for long periods of time.

Add a cat for mice.  Or rat poison.  Or traps.

I'd rather have mice problems than tweaker problems, those are far messier and public to deal with properly.

Edited by dukedkt442

Mesh won't keep out a mouse if it wants in. There's no manufacturing fail here just another owner who is mad about something so they want to blame GM. Guess what they'll climb into the engine bay and eat the wires too.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Lsgun1 said:

Guess what they'll climb into the engine bay and eat the wires too.

Good thing OP didn’t buy a Benz their new “eco” friendly wiring is now made with soy oil instead of petroleum oil. Apparently the little b@st@rds think it’s quite tasty.

Last fall brother-in-law got to put a new 5k harness in one of his JD tractors in the field cause apparently JD has adopted this practice as well. Cause you would never expect to find critters around farms, barns, storage buildings, corn fields, etc...

1 hour ago, wforrest08 said:

Good thing OP didn’t buy a Benz their new “eco” friendly wiring is now made with soy oil instead of petroleum oil. Apparently the little b@st@rds think it’s quite tasty.

Last fall brother-in-law got to put a new 5k harness in one of his JD tractors in the field cause apparently JD has adopted this practice as well. Cause you would never expect to find critters around farms, barns, storage buildings, corn fields, etc...

i've noticed this on all German cars, the rubber and plastics are all eco-friendly , so after 8 years the cars begin to crumble into dust, haha  oh but the machining on the crankshaft is a work of engineering art!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, flyingfool said:

i've noticed this on all German cars, the rubber and plastics are all eco-friendly , so after 8 years the cars begin to crumble into dust, haha  oh but the machining on the crankshaft is a work of engineering art!

I’ve heard rumors of this but mine must be the outliers.

• Haha 1

Sounds like we have a lot of inner city people responding where there are only rat problems and are too big to get into the vehicles...lol.   What I ended up doing was removing the plastic cowl, taking fiber-type window screen, rolling it up not really tight, drilling some small holes, and ty-rapping to the ends of the cowl.  You have to study the setup to determine length to use.

And , really, there are not a 'lot' of places where mice can get into a vehicle.  Only a few that could be remedied by the manufacturer during their engineering process, and very easily.  With the plastic cowl, they could make the end of it so that it goes all the way down to the body sheet metal.  Maybe 1" x 5" or less on either side.  And make the gap at the rear corners of the body just wide enough for water to drain and not HUGE enough for mice to get in.  Both pretty simple if engineers use their heads. 

This posting was really meant to help those that do unfortunately have mice in their vehicles and are looking for the access points...do we want to go down a road where we could say that everything can fail and the manufacturer should have no responsibilities for anything?

On 9/21/2019 at 6:08 AM, jbugj said:

This posting was really meant to help those that do unfortunately have mice in their vehicles and are looking for the access points...do we want to go down a road where we could say that everything can fail and the manufacturer should have no responsibilities for anything?

I've also faced the mouse and rat issue in my homes and vehicles in the past.  Most recently I've faced this issue with visitors enjoying the warmth of my engine area.  I definitely don't expect GM to assume any responsibility for my mouse problem nor do I believe this leads to any lack of accountability for other design/engineering problems.  It's a nasty problem to have and hopefully you'll find a solution soon. I found that parking in a different area has rendered my truck as a less desirable destination.  As suggested earlier, I also strive to keep any attractants out of my vehicle.   It seems once they discover a secluded resort, they keep coming back!

Those saying GM has no responsibility have kind of been shut down by GM...I looked at a 2018 model and I see GM has fixed the problem of the gaps at the end of the cowls.  Apparently they do feel it is their responsibility to some degree to make them mouse proof. 

And it is not food being left in the vehicles either.  They enter as in my case when there is no food, they bring their own. They are looking for safe dry places to build their nests...