Which UCA’s would you recommend for a leveled or lifted truck and why??

In every truck modification, the question always comes up, what Upper Control Arms are you running and what’s your experience before and after installation and can I go from being leveled to lifting the truck with them??

I’ve got a CST 4.5-5” Lifted 2018 GMC 1500 SLT CC 4x4 Z71 6.2.

A few manufacturers I’m thinking about:

b8d0774993c0bf3c4524aecd6e4e6974.jpg695dce221d3d48ab22599d820425b0dd.jpg5f250136c7367db77611b64d522c6920.jpg

Please, only those with real hands on experience need comment, no I heard blah blah blah.

I would look at JBA off-road. They have some really nice ball joint style arms that claim to have more angularity than uni-balls. They are popular with the Toyota crowd and look to be well engineered/built. 

That said I have cognitos which I think are a great value, but not perfect. I would mention that there are known clearance issues with them (easily addressed). Also the quality of the ball joints is yet to be seen but is a standard part that can be replaced with the high end Moog stuff for a stout set up.  Check out the JBA replacement joints - they are super nice.

Strength wise the cognito's are solid and well built.

Would not want the maintenance of uni-balls, However if you want uni-balls and bullet proof quality the Dirt Kings are top notch. Baja Kit's stuff looks nice too but have not heard much feedback on them.

Mcgaughy's  are popular (more so in the south) but IMHO they have nothing on the brands mentioned above. The arms mentioned above are proven in west coast desert environments - if they didn't hold up their reputation would be trash and they wouldn't sell.

I just wouldn't cheap out and would avoid the budget stuff, cause you'll be buying twice and could have more alignment and wear and tear related issues.

• Like 1

I would look at JBA off-road. They have some really nice ball joint style arms that claim to have more angularity than uni-balls. They are popular with the Toyota crowd and look to be well engineered/built. 

That said I have cognitos which I think are a great value, but not perfect. I would mention that there are known clearance issues with them (easily addressed). Also the quality of the ball joints is yet to be seen but is a standard part that can be replaced with the high end Moog stuff for a stout set up.  Check out the JBA replacement joints - they are super nice.

Strength wise the cognito's are solid and well built.

Would not want the maintenance of uni-balls, However if you want uni-balls and bullet proof quality the Dirt Kings are top notch. Baja Kit's stuff looks nice too but have not heard much feedback on them.

Mcgaughy's  are popular (more so in the south) but IMHO they have nothing on the brands mentioned above. The arms mentioned above are proven in west coast desert environments - if they didn't hold up their reputation would be trash and they wouldn't sell.

I just wouldn't cheap out and would avoid the budget stuff, cause you'll be buying twice and could have more alignment and wear and tear related issues.

Appreciate it, I’m only interested in the high quality products and will definitely mention them to my installer. 81dc56469ba207f86afbe54bd9cb5088.jpg04007ad076b2bcce76b674072baa34e9.jpg

JBA UCA’s look very nice. What’s your setup, you mentioned you have cognitos, what was the ride quality difference you felt or noticed after going from stock to the aftermarket uca’s? I’ve heard mixed responses. I’m definitely looking into the Dirt Series and do believe you get what you pay for.
  • Like 1

Appreciate it, I’m only interested in the high quality products and will definitely mention them to my installer. 81dc56469ba207f86afbe54bd9cb5088.jpg04007ad076b2bcce76b674072baa34e9.jpg

JBA UCA’s look very nice. What’s your setup, you mentioned you have cognitos, what was the ride quality difference you felt or noticed after going from stock to the aftermarket uca’s? I’ve heard mixed responses. I’m definitely looking into the Dirt Series and do believe you get what you pay for.

Nice looking UCA’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice looking UCA’s.

Yes, they are. Never heard of them before but they’re definitely going to be on the list, especially if they’re sealed and no maintenance needed

How do you know the JBA’s will work on your 2018?  Says they’re good up to 2015. Wasn’t 2016 when they started mix matching UCA’s with the stamped, cast and forged parts?  I’ve been in search for some for my 2017 and Cognito is the only one I’ve found that has them for my style UCA. 

How do you know the JBA’s will work on your 2018?  Says they’re good up to 2015. Wasn’t 2016 when they started mix matching UCA’s with the stamped, cast and forged parts?  I’ve been in search for some for my 2017 and Cognito is the only one I’ve found that has them for my style UCA. 

If you’re asking me, I don’t know if they’ll fit. I know CST will fit perfectly for my 18 but I’m looking and noting down the best quality available and hoping to hear experiences from anyone that’s had them, before and after install.

Cognitos feel like they added some rigidity to the front end. Hindsight I would of bought the JBA's but at the time they were moving their shop and I couldn't get a hold of them.                     Both will work well with extended travel shocks.  A plus for the JBA is no clearance issues and that proprietary ball joint is pretty special.

• Like 1

With all this talk on upper control arms, why no mention of lower control arms? Any options out there and if there is any benefit from them vs stock on lifted applications?

• Like 1

I'm running the cognitos on my 17 with a 7" readylift. The cognito balljoints weren't great so I replaced them with kryptonite balljoints. They have a lifetime warranty and so far I have 5k miles on them. I'm happy with the setup.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I’m OffRoad sometimes every weekend Hog Hunting, zero issues with stock uca’s but I really want to know whether or not I’ll actually notice a positive difference and hopefully not needing additional modifications in order to make the new ones work. Hopefully not opening pandora’s box [emoji45], the only shop I trust to work on my vehicles is 35 miles away from me and it’s always slammed.

Sent from Above

If you are sensitive to mods you will notice arms over stock for sure. Especially when it gets rough. Not night and day but completes a proper high end performance set up. And ball joint angles become a non issue. Front end will work better, arch through the travel better with less deflection. 

To the other poster. I know somebody makes lower arms, but for true long travel set ups. I think Baja kits does. With the correct shock now your talking big money for upper and lower plus long travel shocks. that kinda mod is reserved for pre-runners in my book. Plus may require supporting frame mods. Not for a 100% street truck unless your a total poser. Also think $7~ $10k front end only for that level of mods. ( Upper & Lower arms, real fender mods like aftermarket, bracing, shocks, and correct offset wheels for the design intension) Camburg Engineering makes them too IIRC. But way beyond what I would spend  unless I wanted a real deal streetable pre-runner. 

21 hours ago, mikedeezxxx said:

Nice looking UCA’s.

I don't think those can be beat for the money. no rubbing, huge angularity out of the ball joints, super rigid. good bushings. The only downer is I hear their paint isn't the best. But everything else is solid. Ball joints are awesome, check their site for the info on them, pretty impressive. 

Many positive reviews from the tundra crowd.

• Like 1