Blind Turns

Has anyone else noticed that while driving a 2019/20 GMC Sierra 1500 on a very dark road that when you go to make a left or right turn there is absolutely no light?

I live in an area with many dark country roads. The headlights offer no side lighting and even the fog lights don't help.

I end up making blind turns into areas I can't see .... there could be a pedestrian or deer and I wouldn't see them.

Has anyone made a modification to alleviate this problem?

• Like 1

Way back when they called these cornering lamps.  They were available on upscale models on autos like the Buick Regal, Oldsmobile 88, Cadillac Brougham, etc.

My fogs help some, putting the window down helps more in really dark areas.  Really though, there's nothing moving without lights that could hurt the truck so I make the turns slow enough to stop if say a large hole is in the road or a tree is laying across the street.  My headlights will light that up as the turn is completed.

• Like 1

Has anyone else noticed that while driving a 2019/20 GMC Sierra 1500 on a very dark road that when you go to make a left or right turn there is absolutely no light?

I live in an area with many dark country roads. The headlights offer no side lighting and even the fog lights don't help.

I end up making blind turns into areas I can't see .... there could be a pedestrian or deer and I wouldn't see them.

You make an excellent point here. 

I was thinking of getting some LED light cubes on my hood to light those blind corners at night when I'm out in the country side.  

3d3ee1bd8c17549a346057cb7f1f984d.jpg

Cornering lamps would be nice ... some of the older vehicles actually had them that turned on with the directional and

Lexus even has headlights that articulate with the steering. My early Mitsubishi Starion did that as well.

OK, so I'm not the only one noticing a SAFETY  DEFICIT on these vehicles.

I too am considering adding cubes but mounting them under the front bumper so that they are not so obtrusive.

If I go the route of mounting them on the cowl, they would need to be automatically in the off position until a turn is initiated and that might be too late.

We have a LOT of deer in my area.

While I'm at it, I'll probably order a two sets for the rear as the back up camera is almost useless at night.

I was going to swap out those bulbs but they are custom LEDs mounted inside the sealed taillights.

The engineers definitely never drove these trucks in the dead of night.

Same issues with my 18, especially with tinted windows. Fog lights do help but have thought about switching out the factory led lights for a wider beam and possibly swapping out the pods themselves. I’m still in the “interested” mode

Sent from Above

Same issues with my 18, especially with tinted windows. Fog lights do help but have thought about switching out the factory led lights for a wider beam and possibly swapping out the pods themselves. I’m still in the “interested” mode

Sent from Above
The K2 suffered from the same problem. Fog lights help.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using Tapatalk

Unfortunately. 75% of the trucks sold don't have those mirrors. Not everyone can afford a high country or LTZ.

Honestly I'm surprised they are not standard on the Trail Boss LT. A lifted truck has even more visibility challenges. This could have helped a wee bit.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

17 minutes ago, Smoothbassman said:

Unfortunately. 75% of the trucks sold don't have those mirrors. Not everyone can afford a high country or LTZ.

Honestly I'm surprised they are not standard on the Trail Boss LT. A lifted truck has even more visibility challenges. This could have helped a wee bit.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

My bad. I thought it was standard.

Doesn’t matter, the task lights don’t work when driving anyway. One of the most useless features I’ve ever had on a vehicle.

I suppose if your truck doesn’t have them, you could buy the mirrors and maybe wire them to a switch. They do crank out a lot of light at a wide angle.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TXGREEK said:

I do see your point but I do believe it was due to the actual crash testing itself.

Sent from Above

All pickup headlights suck so that's why the ratings are lower since they added headlights to the testing.  TFL did a video on pickup safety ratings.  Some missed the pick+ or whatever it was specifically b/c of the headlights.  I think the Ram Limited got it b/c it was the only one that had headlights that moved.  Cars have had this ability for 15-20+ years why hasn't it "trickled down" to pickups yet?  All these other stupid "safety" features yet headlights are only now beginning to be improved.

• Like 1