New 6.6 gas

Check out the 2020 Heavy duty section of this forum for that kind of information.

General Motors is not required to list any fuel economy ratings for 2500 and 3500 series trucks. Per the stuff I've read it's a mixed bag of MPG for loaded and unloaded. Maybe upper teens empty with a light foot and 8-11mpg towing. Where you live and how heavy the load it will drastically change that number.

4 hours ago, CamGTP said:

Check out the 2020 Heavy duty section of this forum for that kind of information.

General Motors is not required to list any fuel economy ratings for 2500 and 3500 series trucks. Per the stuff I've read it's a mixed bag of MPG for loaded and unloaded. Maybe upper teens empty with a light foot and 8-11mpg towing. Where you live and how heavy the load it will drastically change that number.

For MY21, 2500s will have to report MPGs. 

#iworkforGM 

If your concern about fuel mileage towing, you should not buy 3/4 or 1 T truck...  

2019 the Silverado and Sierra come with a 6.2l 1500 spécial towing package.

this provides a smother ride than the heavier trucks with only 35lbs air in tires and all the fuel saving features of reduced cylinder usage and 10 speeds tranny.  

check out the truck that fits your application will pay off on the long run,  the 3/4 T diesel doesn’t get the best mileage on everyday usage.

6 hours ago, CamGTP said:

Thanks for that very helpful 

6 hours ago, CamGTP said:

Thank you very helpful 

2 hours ago, Jean-Luc said:

If your concern about fuel mileage towing, you should not buy 3/4 or 1 T truck...  

this provides a smother ride than the heavier trucks with only 35lbs air in tires and all the fuel saving features of reduced cylinder usage and 10 speeds tranny.  

check out the truck that fits your application will pay off on the long run,  the 3/4 T diesel doesn’t get the best mileage on everyday usage.

I now have a 2012 2500hd 6.6 duramax. I tow a 13,000lb fifth wheel and we camp 1 to 2 times a month from spring to fall. I am leaning toward the 6.6 gas now but still have to make up my mind.

I now have a 2012 2500hd 6.6 duramax. I tow a 13,000lb fifth wheel and we camp 1 to 2 times a month from spring to fall. I am leaning toward the 6.6 gas now but still have to make up my mind.

Go test drive the new DMax, then and only then will you be able to make a proper decision. If still not convinced, wait till next year as newer gasser upgrades are destined to happen.

Sent from Above

I will do that! Thank you

I can assure you that once you test drive a DMax, you’ll be shocked at the difference of not only the pulling power performance but the stopping ability while towing of the Diesel Engine Braking which I LOVED when hauling my 5th wheel, the gassers DO NOT have. In addition, I was getting 24+ mpg’s Hwy empty that is a considerable difference compared to a gasser.

But, the DMax will cost you at the Diesel pump like my 6.2 requires super to run well.

Both will ride rougher than a 1500, so either way, look at the cost of maintenance too between the gasser and the Dmax. My immediate choice is safety (during towing) over cost to run it but that’s just me. Last thing is trade in value, diesel will keep its value where as gassers especially 2500’s lose value quick!

Ok, Good luck!

Sent from Above

On 10/22/2019 at 8:05 PM, Jean-Luc said:

But the payload of a 6.2 1500 is so low compared to a 2500 that it likely cannot tow anywhere near what it is rated for once you throw in gear, passengers, etc in the pickup.  A 2500 can tow the max rating and still have payload left over for that stuff.   It all depends on what one is trying to do.  A 2500 makes for a lousy daily driver from a mpg standpoint, but a 6.6 L8T 2500 will put any 1500 6.2 to shame in many ways.  Even the fuel.   Since the 6.6 has a little less compassion ratio, there is no need to feed it premium fuel to garner all the potential of the motor.  And when one factors that in, even the 6.6 with lower mpg on regular fuel will likely cost no more per mile for fuel than a 6.2 on premium getting better mpg.  Folks get all buffaloed when they look only at mpg numbers and fail instead of breaking it down to actual cost per mile.