Carplay black level

Milleam

Just purchased a new 2019 RST over the weekend. So far loving the truck. That said, when my phone is connected and using Apple Carplay, I feel like the black levels are really washed out. It almost appears grey. I can't tell if this just the angle that the screen is at (which I think could be part of it) or if there is something wrong with carplay.  When you are on the stock radio interface there is a lot of black and its a very dark/deep black. I realize this is kind of a knit pick, but just curious if anyone else has noticed this?

1 hour ago, Milleam said:

Just purchased a new 2019 RST over the weekend. So far loving the truck. That said, when my phone is connected and using Apple Carplay, I feel like the black levels are really washed out. It almost appears grey. I can't tell if this just the angle that the screen is at (which I think could be part of it) or if there is something wrong with carplay.  When you are on the stock radio interface there is a lot of black and its a very dark/deep black. I realize this is kind of a knit pick, but just curious if anyone else has noticed this?

This is an LCD screen it does not have a true black. And the more black in the background you will notice it more. 

I just switched from an F-150 to a Sierra and CarPlay looks exactly the same in both. I think CarPlay simply utilizes a semi-transparent grey background so you can see the album artwork in the background when uses Apple Music or Pandora. Personally, I think it looks cheap and cheesy and would prefer a darker theme. Hopefully a future update brings this. 

10 hours ago, dw91 said:

I found the opposite and the sound quality is definitely worse with BT compared to USB.

really? with an iphone?

My bluetooth is noticeably louder - I dont think I have any EQ settings on either.

6 hours ago, tanner709 said:

really? with an iphone?

My bluetooth is noticeably louder - I dont think I have any EQ settings on either.

Yes iPhone X and no eq. It could be because you have the volume maxed on your phone? With the USB cable anything much passed 1/2-2/3 volume is really loud.

1 hour ago, dw91 said:

Yes iPhone X and no eq. It could be because you have the volume maxed on your phone? With the USB cable anything much passed 1/2-2/3 volume is really loud.

maybe because I have the shitty custom speakers. My '16 LT used to be how you describe it (usb louder)

+1 On the black levels, they really suck with no way to adjust. CarPlay looks much better on my wife’s Lexus screen. Much blacker.

Also on my AT4 iPhone USB definitely sounds better than BT. Which makes sense, way higher but rate and less compression with USB than BT

I can't speak to Carplay (Apple?) but using Auto Android the screens and Google maps lack black and are bright and washed out at night and backgrounds are grey. The OEM Nav maps show blacks during daytime even with full dash brightness and nighttime screens easily visible without a washout.

• Like 1