i put my truck in 4 hi yesterday while on a service road. drove for bout 5 miles. stopped dis in gauged back to 2hi put in rev rolled back stopped. put in drive n drove away. now the dash 4wd light stays on for the most part . turns off sometimes when i turn right but generally just stays on. mine is a 2017 1500 wt. manual in gauge 4x4. it does go in an out of 4wd fine but the dash light doesnt and its annoying me ? any ideas what or were to look or start? i did go through a few large puddles so moisture may be my,an idea? or loose wire connection to a sensor? any and all help much appreciated. thanks

what you are in 2hi, and the 4wd light is on, stopped in park, reach under the truck and try to turn the front driveshaft (between the transfer case and the front diff).

If you can't spin it, then it (most likely) could be the 4wd sensor in the transfer case, or a wiring problem between it and the actuator in the front diff, or the actuator in the front diff

If you can spin it, then (most likely) it could the actuator in the front diff or wiring problem between it and the instrument panel.

The front spin freely in 2hi. Locks up fine in 4low and 4hi. .light doent turn off. Checked dif sensor connection. All clean . Think it's probably the sensor. 

• 4 years later...

I have a 2016 K2500 Duramax and I have NO 4X4 Light/Indicator. Maybe the bulb is out. I just bought it 6 months ago with 242,000 miles on it.

20230714_135850.jpg