Odd sound while in 4WD and coming to a stop or turning

Hey all, 

So we got the first big snow in our area tonight so I kicked in the 4 wheel high and noticed some odd sounds coming from the truck. 

NOTE: This does not happen in 2WD.

It's a bit hard to explain, sounds like a mechanical-almost grinding type of sound. It's really present whenever coming to a slow or stop and it sounds like a grind then coming to a stop it sounds like something from the front like a space ship winding down lol. It's all coming from the front.

When turning slowly, it also makes a pretty horrid noise, kind of squeaky grinding as well. No real mods yet, waiting for better weather but anyone experience something similar? 

• Like 1

You're describing normal 4WD activity to me. If you use it when you don't really need it, you will get weird sounds. Like on dry dirt.

I know you said you had snow, how much? Like a lot? Or was it a 50/50 mix of snow covered road and clean spots cleared by the snow plows? In my experience with 4WD, if you aren't continually driving on actual snow (your tires never touch pavement) then you will get noise from 4WD.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, SamDSJR said:

You're describing normal 4WD activity to me. If you use it when you don't really need it, you will get weird sounds. Like on dry dirt.

I know you said you had snow, how much? Like a lot? Or was it a 50/50 mix of snow covered road and clean spots cleared by the snow plows? In my experience with 4WD, if you aren't continually driving on actual snow (your tires never touch pavement) then you will get noise from 4WD.

This!  ^^^  Oh, make sure your front axle has fluid in it!

Agree with the others.

I stick with “auto 4x4” unless we are talking a foot of unplowed snow. Really, auto does nearly as well as 4 high in the snow (albeit with a slight delay before engagement during slippage), and leaves no chance of binding. It’s my go-to mode from November through March...

• Like 3

Is this your first 4WD truck? I agree that it sounds normal and you likely were transitioning between slippery and less slippery pavement. If you can see the pavement, 4 auto or 2HI would probably suffice. You only need 4HI if driving on unplowed roads. And remember 4HI does not improve handling, steering or braking. It only helps you accelerate faster. No need to out-drive conditions if the roads are actually bad.

• Like 2

Thanks for all the replies!

My father who has driven 4x4 trucks his whole life was riding with me and said it sounds like the front half of your truck is falling off lol. It's extremely audible, I have had 3 other 4WD vehicles prior to this, 2 of which were trucks and dont get me wrong, I understand the sounds from a 4WD truck but this is like a mechanical grinding coming to a sort of clunk when coming to a dead stop on a straight line with no turning. We had about 5 inches of snow hit within an hour after rain so it was pretty bad conditions. 

Edited by jordanl010

• 1 month later...

This truck is my first 4WD/4x4, and I noticed something similar.  So a few weeks ago, I put my truck in 4HI, to drive in the snow, no issues.  Put it back into 2WD, when I got home, and haven't needed it since, until this afternoon.  When I put it in 4HI, it was grind/vibration central, but when I put it back in 4AUTO or 2WD, there is no issues