Does your truck ever go through regen? Mine hasn’t.

We have 2500 miles on it and it has never gone into that regen mode or notified us that it has. I even had the dealer run the service bulletin update and we cannot get it to do so unless it is doing it silently and does not notify the driver. Any ideas? How can I tell if it has completed any of these cycles or if there is a problem until one happens as a result of no regens?

It does not notify you. You might notice a smell, and you will suddenly get crap fuel mileage, easily seen on your 25 Mike mpg estimate. It Regens every tank of fuel I believe, it has for all three tanks on mine. It does not run different while doing a Regen, and no notifications normally.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

Not sure about GM but at work we have a fleet of Ford 2500 6.7L and ours idle high during regen and notifies you on dash with a blowing image symbol. We drive them mainly in the city and symbol alerts us it's time to take a run on the freeway.

Some of our drivers ignored the regen enterally and within 3 years $7,800 to replace filters and parts.

Edited by Ralph Ciardullo

It won’t notify you. On my 2015 my rpm’s at idle would go up and I’d get crap mileage. It would have a dead pedal too.

y 2020 seems to be a bit different but I’ve only had 1 regen I know of so far, it was around 800-900 miles. I could smell it and noticed the crap fuel mileage. I didn’t notice a bump up in idle rpm, or a dead pedal.

GM has said in the past, their thought is that the truck should regen without the driver noticing.

I plan on getting a Banks iDash, if you have one of those, it will tell you when it’s in regen, as well as dpf soot level, etc... pretty useful.

It won't notify you unless it is having troubles getting successful regened. (and gives the 'keep driving' message)

You dealer can connect to it and tell you how many regens it has done. 

If the regen happens when you are on the highway, it's really easy to miss the signs -- unless you are running on a steady pull and happen to be looking at one of the fuel economy screens.

2020 is damn near impossible to tell if it is doing a regen.

My '18 was slightly more noticeable, but much more frequent if doing only short runs.

city or short runs in the '18  regen could happen as often as 150mi, or my longest was 710mi.

My 2020 the shortest (all city) was 525mi, been averaging 750mi between.

• 1 month later...

I have 2800 miles and mine has done 3 regens, each occurring every 800ish miles. The only reason i know is because i use the torque pro app with a bluetooth OBD dongle. I added some custom programs which tell me the soot level and regen status. The custom programs are from a guy on youtube, Chad Ivan. He created the programs based on the small Duramax but it has worked great on the 6.6. The only thing i notice different when the truck is in regen is the instant fuel economy. Normally, when coming to a stop, the reading is 99mpg. During regen, it was 30 to 40mpg. I would have no idea otherwise.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, bowtie2007 said:

I have 2800 miles and mine has done 3 regens, each occurring every 800ish miles. The only reason i know is because i use the torque pro app with a bluetooth OBD dongle. I added some custom programs which tell me the soot level and regen status. The custom programs are from a guy on youtube, Chad Ivan. He created the programs based on the small Duramax but it has worked great on the 6.6. The only thing i notice different when the truck is in regen is the instant fuel economy. Normally, when coming to a stop, the reading is 99mpg. During regen, it was 30 to 40mpg. I would have no idea otherwise.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I've noticed that too.

I also find that if I'm watching one of the fuel economy graph screens, and am running on a 'mostly level' cruise, that the instantaneous fuel economy will run somewhere around 10 mpg less than when not in regen. 

I don't track frequency anymore, but when I was they were about 400 mile intervals. More frequent than my LML, but they were shorter duration. 

Exhaust also sounds different, but that's tough to notice unless at parking lot speeds.

Currently somewhere over 25,000 miles.

• 11 months later...

My new 2021 3500 just did its first regen at 813 miles,I was in regen for 31 miles and stopped regen at 844 miles. I had the MPG screen up and I dropped from 17 to 8-10 MPG during the regen. My 2018 L5p would regen between 250 nd 600 miles and would be in regen for 17-20 miles.