Winter Tire Report

Minnvmax

I just installed dedicated winter tires today. I was going to wait for more drive time before reporting but since I was able to immediately compare to stock tires with the weather we just received I decided to mention it right away. Also in case anyone was considering them the time to buy them is just beginning. In a word, incredible. Where the stock tires instantly road on top of the deep slush these cut right through maintaining contact with the road. Traction on the hard pack was night and day different. I can’t wait to use them in all kinds of winter conditions. Also they drive better on pavement than the oem tires that came with my truck. Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V2. 2019 Silverado. I wish I hadn’t waited so many years before trying.

You definitely made the right choice.  The Blizzak is an awesome tire.  Also reduces mileage on your summer or all season tires.  I went with the BF Goodrich Winter T/A KSI.  Really nice tire, not loud and noises at all,  and really bites in the snow and slush.

I kinda wish the lady that T-boned my work van this morning on 35E had snow tires lol, maybe she wouldn't have lost it and darted across 3 lanes. Good thing it was a rental.

I always tell people, snow tires should seriously be considered if you drive a lot in the winter.

My GMC Sierra has the X31 with the 20” wheels and 275/60R20 tire.  I’m also looking at the Blizzaks DM-V2s but was going to put them on 17” wheels because it’s way less expensive.  That said these tires are 265/70R17 and if I compare the tire sizes, the winters would be 4.2% smaller which is outside the 3% rule.  That said this tire size is also listed on the GMC website.  I’m assuming I’m safe with the smaller tire size listed, any advice?

Thinking going narrower would also be helpful in the winter.

The tires on the base model trucks are 255’s and 17” rims so thinking I’m safe to run that size on my 2019 Sierra Elevation that normally run 275/65R20’s(normal size is 275/60R20 but I bought the truck with upgraded and slightly larger tires.)

Any issues besides the speedometer being out a little running smaller diameter and narrower wheels and tires in the winter?