I have a magnaflow 12909 muffler with the butterfly valve cut out and the rear resonator removed.  It's just deeper than the stock muffler and slightly louder.  I choose it because I ran it on my older 6.2 with headers and not cats and resonator removed and I loved it.  It's to quiet with stock exhaust manifolds and cats.  It's louder but not enough.

It will be perfect once I get the headers on here soon. 

I was thinking of doing the borla xr1. Forgot the part number but it’s a 3.5 in/out. Then said screw it and did a muffler delete to hold me over. 

Still trying to figure out what to do. No one around me works with 3.5”. They have the pipe and will weld in straight pieces but no one has the die to bend. Debating on just doing a corsa since it’s full 3.5”. Will see 

I’ve never seen an exhaust like this. Out of the cat 3.5”, necked down to 3” going into the muffler coming out of muffler small piece of 3” stepped up to 3.5” going into resonator then 3” coming out. Wtf?!  

Edited by Pt187

I just did the Borla XR-1 #40086 on a 2017 6.2.   Removed the muffler and flapper but left the rear resonator intact.   Sounds perfect.   I did get an Range device to shut off AFM, so no drone at all!   Still loud on cold starts and when you get on it, but pretty tame at cruising speeds.

20 hours ago, SixDeuce said:

I just did the Borla XR-1 #40086 on a 2017 6.2.   Removed the muffler and flapper but left the rear resonator intact.   Sounds perfect.   I did get an Range device to shut off AFM, so no drone at all!   Still loud on cold starts and when you get on it, but pretty tame at cruising speeds.

This is what I am leaning towards for my truck.  I will need a different part number, I'm sure, since mine is a 5.3.

9 hours ago, Spencer Burns said:

I ended up ordering a Gibson MWA 3” in and out, and having the flapper delete deal. Having it put on Thursday. Also have a tuner to kill the V4 crap. Hoping it’s louder than stock but not over kill

Post up after you install. 

think you would have been happy with a muffler delete though. I kept the resonator just deleted muffler and flapper. Sounds really good. It’s louder then stock obviously but not crazy loud. On cold start it is a little loud and wot it is but cruising it’s not bad and there’s no drone. No helicopter sound when going in 4 cylinder mode either. 

You might end up with drone getting rid of the resonator. 

1 hour ago, Spencer Burns said:

Had the muffler put on today and deleted the flapper. It has a nice and deep kind of hollow burble to it at idle. Good cold start and mellow sound cruising around town. Haven’t really gotten on it yet or taken it out on the highway yet though 

You left the resonator on?

Yes I left the resonator on it for now. Gonna see how it sounds out on the highway and may cut it off later too. It came stock with a nice 4” Chevy rolled tip that I slid farther out on the pipe and it lowered the tone quite a bit too. I’ll get a good cold start video in the morning and post it 

On 12/21/2019 at 11:26 AM, MeanGreen1911 said:

This is what I am leaning towards for my truck.  I will need a different part number, I'm sure, since mine is a 5.3.

I'd delete the resonator if you have the 5.3.   The 5.3's arent as loud.  Had a buddy with a 5.3 with pretty much the same Borla XR-1 but the 3" version, and it wasn tvery loud, even without the resonator.    

I did the 12909 Magnaflow since it has 3.5 inch in and out... Removed the resonator, flapper and stock muffler added a dual twin pipe corsa style tip. Also have a AFE cold air intake that brings out some engine sound as well.
2016 GMC Sierra 6.2L...... Love the sound when cruising at 70 barely hear it almost stock even when switching in and out of AFM.... When cruising 30 to 40 very little sound..... Give it some gas where it lives above 2000 rpm and the deep sound comes out. I live in a suburb and did not want to be that guy coming home or leaving to my neighbors but needed it to sound like a v8 when it should.

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk