Free Antenna relocation

I saw, somewhere, where they relocated the antenna up the inside of the passenger side A-Pillar, from inside the engine bay.  Puts the tip up high, part of the reason why the antenna under the hood get terrible reception.

• 2 years later...

Sorry to bring up and old post. This is a pretty cool mod. I remember doing something similar on my 2002 Silverado back in the day! Here we are 20 years later and I'm going to do the same thing on my 2022 Silverado!

Edited by fondupot

On 1/1/2020 at 4:28 PM, curly said:

You truck looks great... much cleaner!

I did this a few weeks ago but had to put the antenna back on (rural area and the one radio station that I normally listen to for a morning talk show would not work at all). I guess I'll have to go with a shorter antenna so I still have reception but don't have the overly tall antenna in place. Has anyone tried one of the HD antennas that appear to be shorter?

You would think that GM would not use an antenna of this style because these trucks look much better without it and they have proven with other GM vehicles that it is not needed (can be integrated into glass, etc).

One if the reasons for the length of the anntena is so you will know if you are about to hit your pretty truck on something to low to drive under.

On 10/16/2022 at 10:58 AM, Robby James said:

One if the reasons for the length of the anntena is so you will know if you are about to hit your pretty truck on something to low to drive under.

If using your antenna to gauge roof clearance you might be cruising into some shady area. Backup and keep the truck looking purdy...

• Haha 1

On 10/16/2022 at 11:58 AM, Robby James said:

Actually it's because most truck customers live in rural areas and the long antenna is better for bringing in distant radio stations. There was an article I read somewhere a while back with a GM engineer about this.

On 10/19/2022 at 9:41 PM, GETGONE said:

Actually it's because most truck customers live in rural areas and the long antenna is better for bringing in distant radio stations. There was an article I read somewhere a while back with a GM engineer about this.

That's comprehensive.