2017 GMC, 5.3L Transmission failure

Had the exact same problem at 75k. Instead of  paying someone 4500$ i decided i would do my first trans rebuild myself. the torque converter went out causing the pump housing (bell housing) to go out. I caught mine early so i only  had to replaced the bellhousing (24248031) the pump cover  (24248573) the pump rotor (24248569) and pump slide (24222668).  After you get a new bellhousing and pump cover you must measure the depth of the pocket in the bellhousing. There are three different thicknesses of pump rotors and slides. I ordered a circle d 2800 stall, hp tuners software, put in the red clutch packs, all the sonnex upgrades and still spent less than 4200. So far my trans is working fine. 

11 hours ago, mforse1 said:

Had the exact same problem at 75k. Instead of  paying someone 4500$ i decided i would do my first trans rebuild myself. the torque converter went out causing the pump housing (bell housing) to go out. I caught mine early so i only  had to replaced the bellhousing (24248031) the pump cover  (24248573) the pump rotor (24248569) and pump slide (24222668).  After you get a new bellhousing and pump cover you must measure the depth of the pocket in the bellhousing. There are three different thicknesses of pump rotors and slides. I ordered a circle d 2800 stall, hp tuners software, put in the red clutch packs, all the sonnex upgrades and still spent less than 4200. So far my trans is working fine. 

Thanks, problem is an automatic transmission isn’t something that I’ve ever been inside of. 

I don’t know but I’ve been told.. A rebuilt transmission is about $1k and I’m sure that’s not including a torque converter. So I think around $1,800.00 will get a transmission and converter plus the in/out work. ‘’Oh, a cooler or cleaning it will be the final issue 

$1k for a modern rebuilt transmission sounds VERY cheap.  rebuilt 4l80e's, which are way more common and cheap to rebuild, seem to be more in the $1500-$2000 range (and that was went I rebuilt my 4 years ago), and you need to give them the core and install it yourself (and torque converter sold separately)...  I would expect newer transmissions to be significantly more expensive (and the O.P. has a '17).

Edited by davester

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/4/2020 at 7:43 PM, slide187 said:

Really??? My 2018 = 100,045 mi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 1/4/2020 at 11:04 PM, slide187 said:

Weird. Mine IS 5 years. But the mileage is 100,045. And I didn’t pay for anything extra. And I don’t have an HD.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Canadian market trucks get the 5yr/100k.  Did you buy used?  If so, your truck is probably from Canada and was brought to the states.   

• Like 1