2017 GMC, 5.3L Transmission failure

I’ve got 75k miles and my transmission failed. I was at a stoplight and it just didn’t want to move forward. Checked the fluid and there is metallic flakes in the oil and the oil has a burnt smell. 

‘What would cause this to happen? Dealer wants $4,200.00 to fix it as the truck is out of warranty.

Its a 1/2 ton 2017 GMC with a 5.3l 2WD 

Thanks,

As far as what would cause it, it could be anything. There seems to be an issue with some of these newer transmissions. Could be a defect or maybe some extra abuse it may have endured. Being that it's 2wd I would look into maybe getting a jasper and getting a buddy to help you install it yourself. Probably cut the cost on half and jasper offers a 3 year 100k warranty. They also try to fix any known issues with the factory unit.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Too bad its out of warranty.  In my opinion, 75k is way too early for a trans to fail even if the fluid was never changed.  At this point id look around for local transmission shops.  Avoid the dealer and their high shop rates if you can. 

I'll bet they want $4200 to fix it, there labor rates are ridiculous.  Quite sure it'll be a factory reconditioned unit to boot.  You might want to contact GM and tell them the repair cost seems excessive, they may help you in your situation.

Dealer prices are ridiculous! I had a transmission fail on my 2001 Yukon Denali, many years ago. My local mechanic at the time charged me I think 1900 or 2000 can't remember exactly  for a complete rebuild and I was at about that mileage. AWD XL yukon Denali. I'd check around for someone with some experience. Good luck I'm sure super frustrating.

2 hours ago, slide187 said:

Really??? My 2018 = 100,045 mi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The standard warranty has been 5 years or 60,000 miles since 2016. If you got a warranty up to 100,000k then you either payed for that or somehow was given that upon purchase. Heavy Duty diesels is different.

Here is a article from 2015 about the change.

https://www.edmunds.com/car-news/gm-cuts-powertrain-warranty-maintenance-program-on-some-2016-vehicles.html

1 hour ago, 08 GMC said:

Thanks, thinking of looking for one out of a wreck in a salvage yard. 

Just know that if you do this you will still require a trip to the dealership via a tow truck. The TCM inside the transmission must be programmed to match the operating system in the PCM.

Just know that if you do this you will still require a trip to the dealership via a tow truck. The TCM inside the transmission must be programmed to match the operating system in the PCM.

Weird. Mine IS 5 years. But the mileage is 100,045. And I didn’t pay for anything extra. And I don’t have an HD.

a10042d589332b11ee726a1b6a30204f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, CamGTP said:

The transmission has a computer of its own?

thanks

The transmission has a computer of its own?

thanks

Yes, back when the 6l80 came around it got its own TCM that talked to the ECM. Not like the old days where the 4l60/80e was controlled by the same PCM.

Yup.  Multiple "computers" on these things.  Which is why having a good performing battery is critical now a days and a low or faulty battery can screw things up big time like we are seeing in other posts.  Regarding the transmission though, I'm sorry you are going thru this.  Things like this just reinforce my idea of having the tranny serviced and looked at every 30,000-40,000 miles in hopes they see something ahead of time to provide a heads up.  Auto makers now a days are trying to one up each other by saying that you have fluids and components like Spark Plugs that are good for the life of the vehicle or that don't need to be touched for 100,000 miles.  Which is a bunch of hog wash.

Edited by Colossus
  • Like 1