2019/2020 Receiving text on Chevrolet My Link system?

I have a 2017 Chevy Malibu Premier. When I'm blue toothed in to the entertainment system ( Chevrolet My Link) and someone sends a text, it will let me know on the screen and read it out loud if I want it to. I have 2019 RST with the 8" screen and it has never been able to do the same thing.  Do the trucks do this? Or is this not being offered anymore? Or is it a problem with my truck. Haven't had it update in awhile. Maybe they have fixed this. Always thought it was handy on my car. Anyone with any info on this? 

I also discovered this after getting my 2019 Sierra. GM removed the Messages app from the new infotainment systems so this functionality is no longer available. We’re now “encouraged” to use Apple CarPlay or android auto. This sucks as I don’t use either of those offerings.

There was a Message App that was installed on the Trucks prior to Feb 2019. GM discontinued the use of the App at that time believing that Android Auto and Apple Carplay would  meet most people's needs. If the Truck was built before Feb 2019, the Message App should have had been there to be used.

Edited by Rocz3cqg

Thanks I just read that doing a search on Google.  I wish you didn't have to  hook up Android Auto with a cord. But other then that I like it. However wish they had also left the messaging  app alone. Thanks again

29 minutes ago, RyanbabZ71 said:

There is an email to contact (i have been looking for it) for GM.  They will contact you back and add it.  Mine works great :)

They stopped adding the app. When I tried in November I was told they where no longer adding it to 2019 trucks, but they offered me 1 year of OnStar for free for the inconvenience. I would have rather had the text app to be honest, but wasnt going to turn down their offer.

Edited by 19Sierra

4 minutes ago, 19Sierra said:

They stopped adding the app. When I tried in November I was told they where no longer adding it to 2019 trucks, but they offered me 1 year of OnStar for free for the inconvenience. I would have rather had the text app to be honest, but wasnt going to turn down their offer.

I can see texts on my screen using my iphone 11.  I dont use an app.  It was working until Sept during an update.  They did another update to get it back.  This was in early December

Correct. I called them about a month ago & was told they are no longer adding the text app back. Basically, if you got it, you got it, if you don’t, you don’t.

I’ve called and complained numerous times & I made my disappointment very clear on every survey they sent me. Hopefully if enough people complain, they’ll reverse their awful decision to remove the text app.

My RST w/IOS radio was built 3/19 and it has it....I didn't know it..........but a text message for an ad popped up on the screen about 2 weeks ago and asked if I wanted it to be read....I said no but saw it was stored on my cell phone later.

Maybe it was added when they updated the radio for Nav and reverted to an older ver. 5.09 build for the software.....also added some other crap I'll never use.

16 minutes ago, RyanbabZ71 said:

I can see texts on my screen using my iphone 11.  I dont use an app.  It was working until Sept during an update.  They did another update to get it back.  This was in early December

I was referring to the messaging app a poster mentioned above. Regardless the only way for texts to show up on my Info screen is if I am plugged into android auto and have android auto pulled up on the Info screen. I am using a galaxy s9. Build date is 7/19.

Edited by 19Sierra

• 5 months later...

Hello. I just purchased a 2020 Silverado, and I discovered this same issue. Does anyone know if there is any kind of "work around"? 

Even if there is a way to just have the text notification just alert on the phone, instead of infotainment... I have an iPhone 11. Right now, my messages are even muted on the phone. Other than that, the truck is a beast

Thanks for any help or ideas. 

For a truck that came with it, in which I believe was only up to Oct / Nov 2018 if you call they will add is back usually, any builds after that they will not give it to you and just tell you to use carplay as the trucks were not built with the messaging app after that.