3.0L Diesel Owners Heads Up On Oíl Changes!

I find it interesting that -

the 2.8L diesel in the canyon uses Dexos2  5W-30

the 3.0L diesel in the 1500's uses DexosD  0W-20

the 6.6L diesel in the 25/3500's uses CJ-4 or CK-4  15w-40

Edited by redwngr

3 hours ago, Colossus said:

The 6.6L is a completely different engine than the 3.0 or 2.8 though.  Designed differently, bigger, more power,  so of course different oil. 

Yes it is. That was my point. 

They recommend oil that is correct for spec and correct weight for the particular engine. 

3 different jobs

3 different diesels. 

3 different oil specs.

3 different oil weights.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I will be switching to 5w30 as soon as it is available, and sure it will be eventually,  living in a warm climate that never gets under 50 degrees,  I have no need for 0w20.   Only reason they are running that thin is for MPG.

Edited by KeysRyder
added

It's amazing how much of a difference the temperature changers my mpg. Between 40 degrees and 20 I swear it's 2 mpg in town. Maybe it's just in my head but my average always goes up on nice days

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, becker87 said:

It's amazing how much of a difference the temperature changers my mpg. Between 40 degrees and 20 I swear it's 2 mpg in town. Maybe it's just in my head but my average always goes up on nice days

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Somewhere around 70 degrees is considered optimum fuel mileage temp

3 hours ago, KeysRyder said:

I will be switching to 5w30 as soon as it is available, and sure it will be eventually,  living in a warm climate that never gets under 50 degrees,  I have no need for 0w20.   Only reason they are running that thin is for MPG.

I never understand why people think they know more than the engineers who designed the engine. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, spizike9 said:

I never understand why people think they know more than the engineers who designed the engine. 

Acts 17:11 Now the Bereans were more noble-minded than the Thessalonians, for they received the message with great eagerness and examined the Scriptures every day to see if these teachings were true.

Because at times they have an agenda and need to be held to a standard. That of the science of rheology. 

It's not a matter of knowing more. It's a matter of know 'right' from 'wrong'. If the Apostles didn't mind, why would an engineer? The Bereans were considered 'noble minded' in this regard.    

That to abstract? 

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Grumpy Bear said:

Acts 17:11 Now the Bereans were more noble-minded than the Thessalonians, for they received the message with great eagerness and examined the Scriptures every day to see if these teachings were true.

Because at times they have an agenda and need to be held to a standard. That of the science of rheology. 

It's not a matter of knowing more. It's a matter of know 'right' from 'wrong'. If the Apostles didn't mind, why would an engineer? The Bereans were considered 'noble minded' in this regard.    

That to abstract? 

No, and i see what you’re saying but machining techniques, engines, oils and additives have all changed a ton over the past 40 years. I guess I should go back to my Nokia brick cell phone as well. I mean it gets the job done. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, spizike9 said:

No, and i see what you’re saying but machining techniques, engines, oils and additives have all changed a ton over the past 40 years. I guess I should go back to my Nokia brick cell phone as well. I mean it gets the job done. 

Not what I'm saying. Yes machining techniques have changed and even some materials have changed. Change is not always a physical improvement. Sometimes down for a monetary improvement like plastic lifter guides. Who thought that up? :) What has really changed is that it is now automated and largely unsupervised. I've made a few chips for hire in my life. Example tolerances have tightened, granted but clearances remain about what they have been for around a hundred years. More parts are closer to the target but the target is the same. Understand? Most get those two words confused when parroting something they've read or heard. More junk gets through QC as well. If you've seen a number of lifter bodies you would know that. Faster and automated is profitable but adds little else. There is a sweet spot for hardness between wear and strength. Those have been know for decades. 

Esters have been around over seventy years and Dino juice from millions. PAO about sixty. The end products are CLEANER and again tighter in specification but the molecules themselves remain the same. C39H80 will always be C39H80.

Labeling changes as do claims and sometimes a choice of a different structure is made. But most everything that has been done, has been done on the bases of cost. Example. Mobil downgrades switching to a Group III from PAO in a cost cut and calls it a NEW AND IMPROVED...yada, yada. Collects your money and says squat. General public doesn't find out for a decade. 

IF you read the API standards for additives per service grade you might be surprised to find that this "Improvement" is actually a reduction in the package. Such as lower Phosphate levels in ZDDP to protect EMMISSIONS equipment and lower calcium levels to stay off LSPI. Both of these sacrifices are for another agenda. EPA! The improvement was to profit and EPA compliance and yes an improvement in LSPI reduction but all motors are not small displacement GDI turbo motors are they? 

Calcium is the backbone of the acid package which kind of sets the limit for useful acid life so while they are pulling this out they also lobby for longer OCI's (on you dime) and then backdoor a shorter OLM interval when the warranty threshold is met. Yes, you were the lab rat. :)

What they do is play on ignorance, apathy and the trust you have in them to do the right thing. Then they don't. They want 0W20 in that motor for CAFE but what they tell you is that your motors hydraulic systems will not function properly if you use something other playing on ignorance. A fella in Green Bay Wisconsin drives  5 miles to work in the winter. His oil likely never gets past 140 F. A fella in Brownsville Texas drives 100 miles one way to work with his oil hitting 240 F and yet both motors operate just fine with viscosities HUNDREDS of cSt apart. At the target 212 F temperature they are but few cSt apart. 

Fear is a motivator and one they use with surgical precision. Works best with an ignorant public and they are masters at keeping the public ignorant. Ask you dealer next time you go to trade what the B10 or B50 engine life projections are for the Gas motor you intend to buy. You might get one for a diesel IF it is used in units considered commercial heavy.

GM has been played this game with the 2.4L for about a decade. Rolling back the OLM, sneaking forward the warranty period 'off book', that is only if someone asked BECAUSE it was not a safety issue. The result? Thousands of failed units. Stuck rings. 100K-115K motors that all the sudden use oil like you own a well when for years they used none. The cure was simple. Change oil twice as often but that ruffles feathers and makes them look as they are. Incompetent.

Plenty of reasons not to trust. No reason to go back to your old Nokia. Just treat what you have better than they WANT you to and loose than fear of warranty rejection for doing it.  

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Does the 3.0 diesel consume any oil?  Our AT4 has 300 miles and my wife will be taking it on a 1,200 mile trip in a couple weeks.  I'd like her to have a quart with her in case it gets low.  This Dexos D stuff is impossible to source locally.  And I can't get just a single quart on Amazon.

My first oil change is free at any GMC dealer (wonder if this includes Chevy dealers) and thereafter I will change my own with the Mobil 1 EXP X2 assuming other brands like Rotella don't come on the market.

I have been actively searching for any other oils available and have come up with NONE as accessible. Petronas had a nice oil that I came across but we don't get that here in America.

I work at a dealer and can get the oil our trucks require but it's often in limited availability. 

I find it very odd that there are no other companies using this 0w20 and that's not helping us at all because who wants to manufacture an oil that so few vehicles need.