3.0L Diesel Owners Heads Up On Oíl Changes!

The Dexos-D 0W20 and the PF 66 oil filters are VERY HARD to locate. Before making an oil and filter change at the dealer call the parts department FIRST. Most dealers do not stock the oil or the filters and have to order it in for your oil change so make sure you call the parts department ahead before making an appointment for an oil change. Hopefully this will change when more 3.0L hit the streets but not so much right now.

Edited by ILSilverado
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Could you post the Delco Part Number so that other forum users can cross-reference the Delco # with a  Fram, Baldwin, Donaldson etc # if they find themselves in your position with parts unavailable at the dealer, please?

EDIT: Nevermind, I see you posted PF66. I tried to cross reference it with no luck. Must be a new design. 

Edited by L86 All Terrain

The Delco part number for the filter is, #55495105 /PF66  The Oíl is Dexos/D 0w20 and I’m told it’s only sold under the Delco and Mobil-1 labels as of now. In fact it’s sourced under the Delco brand by Mobil.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Gswartz said:

How often do they want the oil changed in the 3.0?

Every 7500 miles. I’m changing mine at 1500 for the first time then I will go to a 5000 mile schedule after that.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, diyer2 said:

ILSilverado

I'm not telling you what to do. Just food for thought.

This is factory oil at 700 miles out of a new gas GDI turbo motor.

20200124_145428.thumb.jpg.99d4c9b678ac02a7d0a8530ac56e9ada.jpg

:)

Thats quite normal looking. This is why Diesels use a special oil formulation and doesn’t  use the same Mobil1 that’s used in gas engine’s.

Edited by ILSilverado

13 hours ago, Gswartz said:

How often do they want the oil changed in the 3.0?

The dmaxes have an OLM, just as the gassers do.  

3.0 supplement says:

The engine oil life system calculates engine oil life based on vehicle use
and displays the CHANGE ENGINE OIL SOON message when it is time
to change the engine oil and filter.
The oil life system should be reset to 100% only following an oil
change. See “Engine Oil Life System” in the owner’s manual. 

OM of course, says

This vehicle has a computer system that indicates when to change the engine oil and filter. 

This is based on a combination of factors which include engine revolutions, engine temperature, and miles driven.
Based on driving conditions, the mileage at which an oil change is indicated can vary considerably. 

For the oil life system to work properly, the system must be reset every time the oil is changed.