TPMS Relearn issues after new wheel/tires installed

I've searched the forum but can't find what I'm looking for.

I just had a set of wheels and tires installed. Ordered from CustomOffsets.com. I ordered wheels/tires/TPMS sensors, mounted and balanced. Had a lift kit installed at my local garage and had the wheels and tires put on.

I am receiving the "Service TPMS" message in the DIC and have tried to have the system relearn them with this TPMS relearn tool. CustomOffsets tells me they use an ITM 08003HP sensor so this tool should work. It doesn't.

Before I head to a tire shop or the dealer, any suggestions? I've become pretty familiar with this process so I'm stuck at this point.

That or the sensors were blanks and not programmed yet. We run into that a lot people buying sensors from the net and there universal ones that are not programmed and our programmer won’t program them. The programmers are locked to their brand. 

1 hour ago, FrankK986 said:

I've searched the forum but can't find what I'm looking for.

I just had a set of wheels and tires installed. Ordered from CustomOffsets.com. I ordered wheels/tires/TPMS sensors, mounted and balanced. Had a lift kit installed at my local garage and had the wheels and tires put on.

I am receiving the "Service TPMS" message in the DIC and have tried to have the system relearn them with this TPMS relearn tool. CustomOffsets tells me they use an ITM 08003HP sensor so this tool should work. It doesn't.

Before I head to a tire shop or the dealer, any suggestions? I've become pretty familiar with this process so I'm stuck at this point.

Hey Frank, I have that same tool and it works on my 2019 T1. Those sensors need to be pre-programed to your truck to work they are not GM sensors so they didn't program them. Call them up and tell them they don't work cause they were not pre-programed. Dealer will not be able to help you due to them being aftermarket. You might be in a fight with custom offsets on this problem as they will have to be broke down and re-installed since you ordered the whole package mounted and balanced. Other thing you might do is ask for and refund on the sensors and the cost on break down and balance and get the GM sensors. If your lucky they may send you a replacement set of rims and tires and send the others back on there cost. Good luck.

Edited by Silverado4x4

That tool should work. I surmise they installed 433 mhz (2018) sensors instead of 315 mhz '19 up trucks. Can you check with them or your invoice? 

I’ve called CustomOffsets and have in writing (email) that they’ll take care of making this right. Which according to a subsequent reply, may be costly to them.

All the invoice indicates is the model number of the TPMS (in my original post) and not 433mhz vs 315mhz. The rep couldn’t tell me and couldn’t 100% confirm they were even installed.

Fairly annoyed at this point after spending almost $4k with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That or the sensors were blanks and not programmed yet. We run into that a lot people buying sensors from the net and there universal ones that are not programmed and our programmer won’t program them. The programmers are locked to their brand. 

This is what I’m thinking. I plan on bringing the truck (in my spare time [emoji2959]) to Town Fair Tire and have them investigate and ship the bill to Custom Offsets (which they are aware of and will cover).

I bought the same one for 2018 Tahoe and it works just fine.

Good to know. Will give them another shot before heading to a professional tire shop next week.

Hey Frank, I have that same tool and it works on my 2019 T1. Those sensors need to be pre-programed to your truck to work they are not GM sensors so they didn't program them. Call them up and tell them they don't work cause they were not pre-programed. Dealer will not be able to help you due to them being aftermarket. You might be in a fight with custom offsets on this problem as they will have to be broke down and re-installed since you ordered the whole package mounted and balanced. Other thing you might do is ask for and refund on the sensors and the cost on break down and balance and get the GM sensors. If your lucky they may send you a replacement set of rims and tires and send the others back on there cost. Good luck.

This is really sound advice. Many thanks.

My plan right now is to make one more attempt with the RE-learn tool. Knowing it likely won’t work, I’ll bring it to a local tire chain that I’ve done business with before and have them investigate further.

I’ll update when I do.

Thanks all for the feedback. This forum is a great resource and I’m truly impressed by the timely and insightful information provided.

Before you do anything take the truck out on the highway and get it up to at least 60mph. The sensors are shipped from the factory in a sleeping state to preserve the batteries prior to use. Then put the truck in TPMS learn mode and try again with the tool. I had to do this with my 2019 when I put winter tire and new rims on my truck I got from Tire Rack.

The info was given to me by a service manager friend from a Chevy dealer in Minnesota. He said it's a common problem with new sensors. Most of the time spin balancing will wake up the sensors but not always.

Jay

Edited by Jay P

3 hours ago, Jay P said:

Before you do anything take the truck out on the highway and get it up to at least 60mph. The sensors are shipped from the factory in a sleeping state to preserve the batteries prior to use. Then put the truck in TPMS learn mode and try again with the tool. I had to do this with my 2019 when I put winter tire and new rims on my truck I got from Tire Rack.

The info was given to me by a service manager friend from a Chevy dealer in Minnesota. He said it's a common problem with new sensors. Most of the time spin balancing will wake up the sensors but not always.

Jay

I purchased new tires/wheels and sensors for my '19 and they programmed instantly before the truck even moved. I've had many sets of wheels through the years and all the same. Never had any "sleeping" sensors. I seriously doubt that's the problem.  

Once there programmed they wake up at least the brand we carry do. Some of the foreign cars and dodge have to be driven for up to 30mins at 35mph or more for the relearn to be completed most times about 5 to 10 mins of driving does it 

• 1 month later...

I bought OEM sensors online had them installed into aftermarket wheels. I have driven about 60K with them. I tried the relearn in the truck (turn it on, go to TPMS section of the DIC put it into learn mode and done the procedure of releasing air and re inflating) with no luck. I have not got the re learn tool yet. They are the 433mhz. part number 13516165.

Do I have the wrong ones? or do I need the tool to have the sensors program?

3 hours ago, Mack3748 said:

I bought OEM sensors online had them installed into aftermarket wheels. I have driven about 60K with them. I tried the relearn in the truck (turn it on, go to TPMS section of the DIC put it into learn mode and done the procedure of releasing air and re inflating) with no luck. I have not got the re learn tool yet. They are the 433mhz. part number 13516165.

Do I have the wrong ones? or do I need the tool to have the sensors program?

re-learn tool required for them. 

• Like 1