License Plate Lights to LEDs? Anyone?

Plate lights are 194s, not 912s like shown in the pic above. Takes a bit of contorting to reach them but it’s not a big deal. Buy a quality brand so you don’t have to do it every year. And no need to get the brightest ones around because it looks dumb to have the whole tailgate lit up.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Went with Sylvania zevo 194.  Auto zone .  Lifetime warranty.  Takes 2-3 mins per bulb .  Not that difficult / required no tools.  Just quarter turn counter clockwise and then the bulb pulls straight out .  Tip plug in led and test it with key fob while your under the vehicle before you come out .  Led can plug in two ways but works only one way .  This matches the bed lights as well.

63463D3F-21C9-4E33-8F43-373CA266C835.jpeg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/22/2020 at 9:52 AM, ILSilverado said:

I have already changed out the back up lamps with LEDs and Oh what a difference. I’m just wondering if anyone has done the same with the plate lamps, they are so dim and orange looking I hate them.

I changed mine as well.  Makes it look so much better .  I agree the yellow lights don’t look as good .  Here’s mine after changing them .  Easy too .  Takes like 5 min 

53576C21-B442-4378-A77B-C560FDCA41C2.jpeg

• 5 months later...

ive gone with auxito led upgrade kit Front Turn Signal Lights + Back-Up Light Bulb +License Plate Light Bulbs 50$ with honey will post pics once they get here https://auxito.com/products/2016-2020-gmc-sierra-1500-led-bulbs?variant=40223820808344 . I was kinda bummed to find my new truck only had a couple of leds missing the licence plate turn signals and break lights. here is what my truck looks like now 

IMG_4244.jpeg

• Like 1

On 2/22/2020 at 8:52 AM, ILSilverado said:

I have already changed out the back up lamps with LEDs and Oh what a difference. I’m just wondering if anyone has done the same with the plate lamps, they are so dim and orange looking I hate them.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0821GVXB3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is what I used. Tons of options and plenty of much cheaper options, but I always like to use something that has great heat sinks and good PCB design. Heat is the enemy of LED's longevity and electronics in general.