Things have changed a bit.  I am going to abandon the cameras in the 3rd Brake Light assembly in place.  I am going to disconnect the camera for the rearview mirror and connect a new factory camera from the sharkfin to the mirror.  This way I don’t have to remove the headliner. 

55DD454C-B9EF-427E-865C-1D3980E59476.jpeg

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/27/2020 at 4:43 PM, joguzman711 said:

Is there a better option?  

I installed a LEER shell on the bed of my 2020 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD truck.  The shell is now blocking the 3rd brake light camera so that the feature of using a camera vs a mirror in the rear view mirror unit is now not an option.  I am limited to see what’s behind me using side mirrors only.  Below are my thoughts and notes:

The 2020 Silverado 2500 HD has a “Spoiler” on the back of the cab that houses the 3rd Brake Light assembly.  There are two cameras on that 3rd brake light assembly identified in the attached pictorial diagram as #4 and #6.  #4 Camera is listed as an Auxiliary Rearview Camera that works in conjunction with the trailer view camera feature and the #6 camera is the RearView mirror camera that allows one to see behind him via a flip of a switch on the mirror itself.

It appears that in order to remove the 3rd Brake Light assembly you will either have to remove the entire headliner or simply move the back of the headliner enough to access the screws (10) & (11) that secures the spoiler in place. Once removed, you can remove the 3rd Brake Light Assembly and replace it with a 3rd Brake Light assembly without cameras.  The 3rd Brake Light assembly connects to a harness listed as (9) on the pictorial diagram. 

My plan is to take the OEM 3rd Brake Light assembly apart and remove both cameras.  Purchase a Kia Telluride GPS Shark Fin antenna and gut it.  Mount the cameras onto it and install it on the LEER shell roof 5” from the back hatch.  Ensure I splice in enough conductor (15-20 ft)  to run it to the harness (#9) in the cab.  This should provide a plug and play installation.  I will need to ensure that the angles of the cameras mounted on the shark fin are correct.  Reinstall headliner after I verify all is functioning correctly.  Does anyone have any thoughts on this?  Is there a better option?

Spoiler Diagram.jpeg

You don't happen to have the p/n for #5 do you?

On 2/27/2020 at 4:43 PM, joguzman711 said:

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/29/2020 at 12:43 AM, sneyeper said:

You don't happen to have the p/n for #5 do you?

I am hoping to attempt to add this to ours along with the associated rearview mirror ... the closest dealer is not responsive at all.  Eventually part lists will make it out of the internet I guess.

• 2 months later...

I just found this extremely interesting post... and suddenly it stopped!   I also fall within the same conditions mentioned above, was any further advancement in the whole camera relocation/addition process? I just got both truck and camper. 2020 AT4 and Leer.

Regards.

• 2 months later...

Anyone get this working yet?  My main interest is what is the proper cable to connect to the camera cable.  I intend to pull the cameras from 3rd brake light, plug in an extension camera cable, then make a custom third brake light for the Leer shell with the main rear view camera in it.  I intend to mount the bed camera facing up on top of the shell so I can see the cargo on the thule rack attached to the shell, so it will be a rack cam instead of a bed cam.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I have looked everywhere.  I think this will be like the trailer cameras.  There is one brand that will work, no others.  I think the suggestion to use a snap on mirror with another camera will be the most reasonable in cost and least disruptive to the truck  The trailer camera is almost $500.  Here is one that is a backup camera - i don't think a fisheye will work for a rearview mirror image.  https://www.actiontrucks.com/product-detail/RVS-915-04/jason-cap-third-brake-light-rear-view-camera  

Edited by Dave's Place

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/23/2020 at 5:45 PM, fiberglass charlie said:

I would really like to know how this came out? I just purchased a 2020 3500hd and am having an ARE cap installed next week, I also happen to own a fiberglass repair shop so I could mock up my own camera enclosure not that is the best use of my time if something is already out there. 

Thanks 

You aughta mock up an entirely new topper design. Mamy of these toppers are so genaric or dated looking.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...