19/20 models vs. K2xxx craptastics?

So I had 3 of the mexican built shaking, afm lifter droppin, infotainment crashing, tranny clunking, bumper chippin, bearing burning, piles of dog poo that was the '14-18 K2 trucks & am now in a Ford. The new design of the GM trucks is starting to grow on me a bit, & they finally are offering some "lift" from the factory so the front diffuser isn't 3" off the ground in a 4x4 truck - is the quality any better from the "stop gap" measure that sums up the K2 version? The 10 speed in my Raptor is awesome, night & day vs. the 8 speed (or 6 speed for that matter) in the old GM trucks - is it also a big improvement on these new GM's???

I had wayyyy too many issues over 3 trucks (1st was a dealer buyback after 4,500 miles) & I have a good friend who's now in a Ram after getting fed up/burnt out on FOUR K2 trucks - he was leasing w/ expectation to buy, no extra $$$$ came out of his pocket, at least 2 of his 4 trucks were true lemons/POS - 1 could have gone either way I think & the 4th he just rode out til lease was done. The dealer wouldn't be swapping em out w/ no profit if they WEREN'T defective (btw - 3 torque converters, 1 drive shaft, 2 trannies were swapped among the first 3.....) 

So you can see why, after basically being nearly a "GM lifer" (I still own a vette) - I am very gun shy about checking them out again when it comes to trucks (1/2 tons in particular)

I buy a lot and had a few 14-18 trucks. 2 were absolutely wonderful and 1 sucked but i sold it quick. My 19 AT4 6.2/10 is a beast and i am super pleased with it. Have 10k miles so far. 

Avoided the shakers until I got mine.  I had it in for a warranty/recall issue early on and had a K2 as a loaner.  Felt like a raggedy POS - loose, crap tranny, chintzy in and out.  My 19 LTZ 6.2 is awesome.  The engine rocks and the 10 speed is tuned much better than the same transmission in the Ford, so I'm told.  Other than the leaky rear window (it's on this forum), no real issues to speak of.  15 months and 10k miles.

9 minutes ago, NWI Denali said:

I will never understand guys who will buy 3 and 4 models of the same truck that they have had bad luck with. You'd think after the 2nd one, they would learn their lesson. I guess some people are just gluttons for punishment. ??

Because what you think is not what they think.

• Like 2

Because what you think is not what they think.

I bought a 14, 16 and 18, my 18 is still here and so far I’m loving every mile. Third time is a charm [emoji6]

Sent from Above
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, TXGREEK said:

I bought a 14, 16 and 18, my 18 is still here and so far I’m loving every mile. Third time is a charm emoji6.png

I don't know about you, but there is a familiarity that we like with having the same autos.  While raising our children, we had three Pontiac Montana minivans.  We had a '99, '04 and '06.  The 2006 was the new body style with the bigger motor but it was a lemon.  When that one died we bought another '04, an update of the '99 and it is still reliably serving us.

Next we'll adding more full size wagons and pickups to our barn, GMT900s is the plan.  Again, because we're familiar with them and the prices are coming down.

• Like 1

I don't know about you, but there is a familiarity that we like with having the same autos.  While raising our children, we had three Pontiac Montana minivans.  We had a '99, '04 and '06.  The 2006 was the new body style with the bigger motor but it was a lemon.  When that one died we bought another '04, an update of the '99 and it is still reliably serving us.

Next we'll adding more full size wagons and pickups to our barn, GMT900s is the plan.  Again, because we're familiar with them and the prices are coming down.

Familiarity is a plus but GM definitely has better looking interior than all its competitors so even when you’re not really happy with your truck there’s always that hope the next years model will be better. [emoji6]

Sent from Above
  • Like 1

Now that they have been out for a while you should have no problem putting some miles on a t1xx before you buy. I never drove a 14-17. Put some miles on a 18 and even more on a 19 and ended up with the 18. The ride, quirks, cost cutting and interior of the 19 won't make me look again until a decent update comes out. 

Next round I will be looking at Ford Chevy though.  

Edited by Yondu