2020 AT4, 2 months and 3k miles... Good, Bad, and Ugly

Thanks for the review. I love the interiors of these trucks. As I'm contemplating replacing my 2008 Sierra All Terrain, the interiors of this current generation is one of the features pulling me back to GMC.

On 3/8/2020 at 5:24 PM, smrr1 said:

Good review. Plenty happy with my 19 6.2/10 AT4. I agree completely about the gas tank but disagree completely on the 20 2500hd bed side steps. Those things might be useful but they are hideous!!! They blend ok on a black truck but thats it. If any one thing kept me from a new GMC 2500hd it would be those. They should be an option at least. 

I love the steps and the way they break up the colors....I have always needed them working construction, I cant even count how times I had to step on tire to reach into that area...its almost dailey….they look tasteful and functional

but probably should be an option because not everyone works out of their truck or needs them or like the look.....for me its awesome all the way around

• 4 weeks later...
Seriously, you would buy a different lesser fitting truck because of an aesthetic look of an extremely useful feature? Who buys a truck based on looks? That should be at the bottom of the list; fit, reliability, toughness, user friendliness, quality should be much higher than how a piece looks.

More and more we are seeing the new type of truck owner...

Tyler
Prices on trucks (and all vehicles) keep increasing and trucks are getting more luxurious as manufacturers realize how big a market there is for trucks that are capable, but also more luxurious and this brings in a new group of buyers. When you are spending this kind of money, especially for top trim levels, then cosmetic things become much more important and are absolutely a valid factor in someone's decision to purchase a vehicle.

If things like this weren't important to people, everyone would just buy the basic work truck or lower trim models. Just because it isn't an important criteria to you doesn't really matter when someone else is spending a lot of money on a truck that meets their criteria.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Mikedfw said:

Prices on trucks (and all vehicles) keep increasing and trucks are getting more luxurious as manufacturers realize how big a market there is for trucks that are capable, but also more luxurious and this brings in a new group of buyers. When you are spending this kind of money, especially for top trim levels, then cosmetic things become much more important and are absolutely a valid factor in someone's decision to purchase a vehicle.

If things like this weren't important to people, everyone would just buy the basic work truck or lower trim models. Just because it isn't an important criteria to you doesn't really matter when someone else is spending a lot of money on a truck that meets their criteria.

What blows me away is GM pretty much had the lock on the luxury truck market via Denali. Denali was THE luxury truck to have on the market. They knew how important luxury was to a lot of customers and had/have huge profit margins on these luxury trucks. They let RAM walk in and take a huge section of the market with the 1500 limited because of being short sighted with the interior. You would think that a company that was rolling in profits from selling "high end steak dinners" would realize the quality of the meat was pretty important....Nope. They underestimated the market and came in short and took a "just enough" approach.

GM knows how to do luxury truck interiors (look at the Tahoe). We own an RST Premier and that truck/SUV is heaven inside. The seats, interior, materials are all excellent. I love my truck but its 10x more comfortable...Its like they just put on their dunce hat and crapped the bed in the luxury section for this series of truck..

Edited by Chris walker

What blows me away is GM pretty much had the lock on the luxury truck market via Denali. Denali was THE luxury truck to have on the market. They knew how important luxury was to a lot of customers and had/have huge profit margins on these luxury trucks. They let RAM walk in and take a huge section of the market with the 1500 limited because of being short sighted with the interior. You would think that a company that was rolling in profits from selling "high end steak dinners" would realize the quality of the meat was pretty important....Nope. They underestimated the market and came in short and took a "just enough" approach.

GM knows how to do luxury truck interiors (look at the Tahoe). We own an RST Premier and that truck/SUV is heaven inside. The seats, interior, materials are all excellent. I love my truck but its 10x more comfortable...Its like they just put on their dunce hat and crapped the bed in the luxury section for this series of truck..
I think they just rushed it out. The ram released earlier than people thought it was going to and they rushed to get something out the door that wasn't completely finished. I think the refresh will fix a lot of the issues with it, I hope so anyway. I might look at trading mine a year or so after the refresh is out (if the seats are better).

I agree though, the denali name probably took a hit here (deservedly), but being that sales are still good overall, I think they can recover as long as the refresh is good.

• Like 1

On 3/9/2020 at 12:03 PM, amxguy1970 said:

No you won't. $2500 up front, financing, insurance then the MPG hit and premium fuel you will spend way more than the 5.3. About $4000 over 5 years in added fuel cost alone. You may get half that 2500 back in resale...

Tyler

Not even $2500.  Just traded an '18 LTZ with the 6.2L.  NADA and KBB give you about $1200 for the 6.2L.

On 3/9/2020 at 12:49 PM, amxguy1970 said:

Seriously, you would buy a different lesser fitting truck because of an aesthetic look of an extremely useful feature? Who buys a truck based on looks? That should be at the bottom of the list; fit, reliability, toughness, user friendliness, quality should be much higher than how a piece looks.

More and more we are seeing the new type of truck owner...

Tyler

Anytime ANY new truck design is revealed, 90% of the comments are "that's so ugly"

• Like 1