During the crisis

People are going start to feel they are being too restricted. Eventually you’ll start seeing recovery stories, young and old. The mind set is going to be I’m willing to take my chances. I just visited my 83 year old mother and 84 year old father who’s at home with hospice. I wore gloves as a precaution. Both are amazed at this compared to other pandemics. Older people can be funny. They call us sissies. They lived through much worse and didn’t lose their freedom. They can’t believe it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just curious, but you wore them as a precaution to what? and to whom?

I bought groceries. I sanitized my hands after loading. Wore gloves taking them in and putting them into the sink to pour bleach on. Normal things I do for older people in the winter to protect from the flu that no one gets excited about that kills between 19K to 30K people every year.

1 minute ago, KARNUT said:

I bought groceries. I sanitized my hands after loading. Wore gloves taking them in and putting them into the sink to pour bleach on. Normal things I do for older people in the winter to protect from the flu that no one gets excited about that kills between 19K to 30K people every year.

??

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, KARNUT said:

bingo.....the flu kills people every year already, throw a fancy name on it and give it a ton of media attn and here we are, lol

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Dunn said:

bingo.....the flu kills people every year already, throw a fancy name on it and give it a ton of media attn and here we are, lol

But there is a vaccine for the flu , nothing for this virus yet . 

People die from the Flu because they didn't thing it was that bad or didn't get the meds in time .  

This is different . Not here to argue with anyone either cause im no doctor but get ready for a nation wide lockdown next . 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, truck_newbie said:

Will you feel the same way if a family member of yours is in critical condition because of this and may take a turn for the worse.

I mean it's all fun and games until a family member or close friend of yours is infected and in critical condition. 

PS. To clarify, no one I know is infected. I'm just making a point. 

LOL. I know it is hard to think with reason and not emotion for some people. This virus is no worse than a bad version of the flu. Are we quarantining and shutting down the whole country for the flu? Sorry, but only people with severely compromised immune systems/preexisting health conditions/people over 80 should be worried. Kind of like the flu lol. 

Don't compare our country to Italy who has socialized healthcare and the world's oldest population. Or some third world dump... 

Research the swine flu, 60+ million Americans were infected, 12,000 Americans died. We have a long, long way until we even reach those numbers. Where was the public outcry then? It's not hard to see what is different.

Love my Sierra...

Screen Shot 2020-03-16 at 5.24.19 PM.png

Edited by superhighsierra
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, superhighsierra said:

Sorry, but only people with severely compromised immune systems/preexisting health conditions/people over 80 should be worried

Well, i'm glad you love your Sierra. I love mine too but when did the people over 80 and with preexisting conditions you mentioned become less than. When did they start being regarded as insignificant? I'm in my late twenties and i'm not worried for myself but i do have family members in the risk age group and i do not find this funny at all. 

Yes, this is not as bad as the Spanish or swine flu but where do you draw the line of how many people have to die before people take it seriously? What price do you put on human life? If you know anything about disease progression, you will realize that the intent of the quarantine is to slow the rate of infection so the health care system doesn't get overwhelmed. You don't want the whole population falling ill at the same time as that will overwhelm the health care system and a lot more people will die. The economy can always bounce back but once you are dead, there is no coming back. 

Maybe you are young and think this doesn't affect me so i don't care. Remember that one day you also will reach that age. If that happens and we get another pandemic that affects that age group, I hope you still find this hilarious then. 

• Like 3

Well, i'm glad you love your Sierra. I love mine too but when did the people over 80 and with preexisting conditions you mentioned become less than. When did they start being regarded as insignificant? I'm in my late twenties and i'm not worried for myself but i do have family members in the risk age group and i do not find this funny at all. 

Yes, this is not as bad as the Spanish or swine flu but where do you draw the line of how many people have to die before people take it seriously? What price do you put on human life? If you know anything about disease progression, you will realize that the intent of the quarantine is to slow the rate of infection so the health care system doesn't get overwhelmed. You don't want the whole population falling ill at the same time as that will overwhelm the health care system and a lot more people will die. The economy can always bounce back but once you are dead, there is no coming back. 

Maybe you are young and think this doesn't affect me so i don't care. Remember that one day you also will reach that age. If that happens and we get another pandemic that affects that age group, I hope you still find this hilarious then. 

I’m 64, my parents are in their 80s. We wonder why this is deferent than other pandemics. We don’t really.

The cure at this point is by far worse than the disease. We’ve shut down everything, hoarded an insane amount of toilet paper and caused financial hardship and devastation to millions of Americans over 3800 cases and 80 deaths.

At some point we need to ask ourselves if this isolation strategy is even going to be effective, let alone worth the extreme trade offs it is having on our quality of life and finances. Maybe this is the right call, shutting everything down. Maybe it isn’t. I don’t know and nobody else here on the forum does either.

All I know is it’s made people absolutely insane and appears to be an unprecedented reaction to something that is nowhere near as deadly as polio, H1N1, etc.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, OnTheReel said:

The cure at this point is by far worse than the disease. We’ve shut down everything, hoarded an insane amount of toilet paper and caused financial hardship and devastation to millions of Americans over 3800 cases and 80 deaths.

At some point we need to ask ourselves if this isolation strategy is even going to be effective, let alone worth the extreme trade offs it is having on our quality of life and finances. Maybe this is the right call, shutting everything down. Maybe it isn’t. I don’t know and nobody else here on the forum does either.

All I know is it’s made people absolutely insane and appears to be an unprecedented reaction to something that is nowhere near as deadly as polio, H1N1, etc.

One of the Canadian health ministers says the best case scenario is we look back at this and say "I guess we were overly cautious." You'd hate to look back and think of all the people whose lives could have been saved because we didn't take enough precautions. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KARNUT said:

I’m 64, my parents are in their 80s. We wonder why this is deferent than other pandemics. We don’t really.

For someone actually in the risk group, i'm surprised by your response but more power to you. I hope you get through this unscathed. 

• Like 1