Truck shuts off after 1 hour while parked.

So taking a road trip and figured I'd stop at rest stop and take a rest. Figured I'd leave truck running while taking snooze. After approximately 1 hour ( not sure exactly as I was sleeping)  truck shuts off by itself.  I was inside sleeping, key was in my pocket, all exterior lights were off, and doors locked. Woke up because my cpap shut off. I realized truck shut off, so I thought maybe because key was in my pocket. Thought maybe it was because I didn't put the key fob in the little square hole in the console for relearning transmitters. So I put key in the relearn cubby, and start truck and go back to bed. Once again,  approximately 1 hour later truck shuts off again. Kinda annoying. Good thing its not super cold out, otherwise probably freeze to death. Just need truck to stay running so I can use my cpap machine and stay warm.

Any thoughts? 

Truck is a 2020 3500 Duramax LTZ, push button start.

See page 219 of the owner's manual and this article here: https://www.safetyresearch.net/blog/articles/general-motors-quietly-installs-keyless-engine-shutoff.

I could see how that would be annoying in your particular situation, although for me I cannot see a situation where I would have the vehicle parked and running for more than an hour.

I am about to purchase one this weekend and this is one of my biggest concerns! I’ve been scouring the internet the last couple days looking into this and what I’ve found is it can be overridden on the 2020s. I’ve read 3 different options that supposedly bypsss it.  I am going to verify these with the service dept before I purchase the truck so I will let you know what I find out this weekend.

1: put it in neutral apply parking brake

2: In park with high idle engaged

3: dealer can flash the system and override this

9 hours ago, Mi99z71 said:

In neutral definitely does work. I discovered this after the 3rd shutdown. Would be nice if the reflash does work.

It'll take a change to the federal regs first. 

(not sure if it's been finalized yet, but it has been in process for a bunch of years)

Apparently, the intent is to reduce the number that are killed by leaving one running in an attached garage.

Edited by redwngr

I use mine for emergency service, (Fire Dept.) While at a 2 hour vehicle crash, in neutral with park brake applied, I watched it running with emergency lights activated from the scene. When I returned to leave, it was still running and the doors were locked. Key fob was in the cup holder leaving me locked out! 

I too am looking for a fix. I would like to add the high idle feature if possible. I now have Onstar with the phone App just in case.

There is more on this in the 1500 forum.

57 minutes ago, Kevin Monaghan said:

I use mine for emergency service, (Fire Dept.) While at a 2 hour vehicle crash, in neutral with park brake applied, I watched it running with emergency lights activated from the scene. When I returned to leave, it was still running and the doors were locked. Key fob was in the cup holder leaving me locked out! 

I too am looking for a fix. I would like to add the high idle feature if possible. I now have Onstar with the phone App just in case.

There is more on this in the 1500 forum.

I have the keypad I have the keypad on the outside on the pillar that is a GM option. I wonder if that would allow you in still. Or if the OnStar app will unlock it.

3 hours ago, Kevin Monaghan said:

I too am looking for a fix. I would like to add the high idle feature if possible.

What type of lights and radios are you running?

• 11 months later...

Like they already said above, put it in neutral with the parking brake on, it will idle til it runs out of fuel.

Otherwise there is no fix, you can't flash the computer to change that yet.

Edited by CamGTP