large mud guards

I thought I saw that drilling is required for the factory mudflap upgrade. That pushed me to get the weathertech no-drill mudflaps. Tip for installing the paint protection film under the mud flap is to hold it up as tight as you can, then masking tape 1/4” off the mudflap. Stick the film about 1/8” off the tape. Go in with a plan to make both sides the exact same, if you care. 

oh, this is for a Chevy. Of course they’re not the same. 

Edited by Brocko103

One thing about the factory mudflaps, they are very stiff. They don't have much give and might damage the body panels specially the rear ones if they hit a hard object or bottom down in a ditch crossing manuver

Good luck!

17 hours ago, 19sierra53 said:

Does anyone have the larger gm mud guards installed on a sierra, and could post a couple pics? The GM accessory site only shows extreme close-ups. I have a ton of rock chips already and am trying to decide between these or after market

Mine came with the larger mud flaps installed. I'll see how they do with the new wheels I'm getting tomorrow. I might look to switch up to the factory smaller ones. Although, I do agree, these look like they do protect the sides of the truck20200430_140117.thumb.jpg.a1c72918b2e45177163c27ae0be92b9b.jpg better.

Same here, also installed from factory.  As mentioned above they are pretty stiff but I don't mind as they don't move around when loaded up full of snow and slush, and they seem to offer a good amount of protection without being an eye soar.

sO6jL4c6il0Bw1-CvungEOzGqWyjmpIxUQ7tLDfefSI7Qp3-_PCL29q4uBduTAhHQNwkJ-2l9Q-5THQjUjkkjWjiRRdVOf1C0OrmkNjpyzod2hMaOw4mbT7PdgRBjpMMzHtMTPBsHj6uZepc8gwjDmEhIusB8BziGytD88DBiQo5-kw048s6wYwfV70y7cM2DcXLFUuqeDguiycaYmo7-MIIfsGNTT0etJhkxyatUa-1vmX7XMAEu7ba0QKBLvYcRQ3QNsC7Bx-8vi9tzboJlHIXMQIb_YnyYeCv8Acow9rBPEYvlkwHVj-NHXELWFIh81tSXsjjWkfRC8vjhD7bbDdf7NBewmYWAwL_KuectMq3ajBKheNzKZ6qBXnZgiEOXVbCzOBe1DUzmt_IgVCsYg0Tt9j0TDh3yUfP3p6r1dqtXd8HvSu3AknoV-wQENX1kBTZs9ESR7Jt72arCnNP1smMoFAFLFOUOpkqByXsnPvcPDE62k6PaSqZz1ap2FnNvUHWeA_5x0hLSCbf6h7Y6x_opjKzYHVT6TkH1wGjieuj68Onf0tJoGpiSKb3fFWI6mpaFX-Me8UZCC8YRcMEgtL4cEIuzngRl_IixKNJ_OnbK6rXZYAlZyHLFMmriQTjRRK11PctV1KimugNfZu7rrO5s59wt0GB-xtcZM_C6tIW_dGmVtkxqmubbIeK=w1129-h635-no?authuser=0

7hmEAmUcN0ka6O7Xf8KTGW_BjddxtSQzmzwrzRhHG3jFn-vrzj2Cv9gYQl_kOliGNTmXr4hAenTM-5ruvvC4zjwRSxWmcKK0ppenBTUzHGnpc4MgNyrlMxTPOBM7gsf3NT9j4-kbo0Q9les1idBrh4Cda7OwKVn_EDgyZJDOdsNPbhSQFlG22KNF08nYY9w7YCoNYoaXlPx9Ib2GtyvKZcSbbE3AxaP4UkI6tgbIg4qFzGgT_L53Fta416961EFLnRUoUL9zg7__EVrpNp_JNMpI50hRobtCTy3LqPv4nkrjcM8iUpmghYLTTQZcyF6onBItckDY3u-5dqht7Xladj0y7O98d9Xydvr-2q6SL_8DZwpSPbv5BpZyvAajM4t6kG5zvd0kRPikcWFRL85fDJHyohjdQKozyGcSgwoqraJQNIferXeo3CxbjX6yOdk60JGM6tA9KH9BG5TiHoXRVsRl4tXWB46R1_-j9K_NYCqnJURR0ksR9L3O_Pt_thZQQupmqA8JLFZuk57t1Zl7PHOiVAJ0Jw79V9p9cgcBYtJfxugmCC4J4IjYulsbxNLgR0MJulGP80D-zxn50WvUHh5QibC5NejuTnEIvCMxZLuibKY0a2nDUdBWu8ybrdD1tgGXKWwrd6IWMEaAQKK75nelBEWSKiJ0Gj0jZXI7wJY7a9CNcKic2RvW63Pb=w1129-h635-no?authuser=0

17 hours ago, 19sierra53 said:

Thanks! Are they lower then the stock ones too, or just wider?

It has been awhile, but I believe that they are a little lower. 

I just installed them last weekend. It was pretty easy but you do have to remove the tires and drill a couple holes. Also, it comes with 4 rivets for the front ones so make sure you have a rivet gun. Overall I like them a lot better then the Weathertech ones that my dad has on his Silverado.

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/9/2020 at 8:37 AM, Dbrace said:

I just installed them last weekend. It was pretty easy but you do have to remove the tires and drill a couple holes. Also, it comes with 4 rivets for the front ones so make sure you have a rivet gun. Overall I like them a lot better then the Weathertech ones that my dad has on his Silverado.

Did your truck have the smaller factory mud flaps installed already? I would like to upgrade to the larger splash shields from the smaller factory ones but dont want to drill any holes. Thank you.

1 hour ago, 19Sierra said:

Did your truck have the smaller factory mud flaps installed already? I would like to upgrade to the larger splash shields from the smaller factory ones but dont want to drill any holes. Thank you.

I installed the larger GMC ones like shown in this thread, last Thursday. I like them, easy to install, need a rivet gun like was already mentioned. 

My tip on the drilling part - I did not remove wheels. You are drilling into pretty soft plastic, so I literally turned the drill bit by hand and it got through in a few minutes. Just need a little patience. Probably took same amount of time as removing and reinstalling wheels. Maybe less.

6 hours ago, Jbird905 said:

I installed the larger GMC ones like shown in this thread, last Thursday. I like them, easy to install, need a rivet gun like was already mentioned. 

My tip on the drilling part - I did not remove wheels. You are drilling into pretty soft plastic, so I literally turned the drill bit by hand and it got through in a few minutes. Just need a little patience. Probably took same amount of time as removing and reinstalling wheels. Maybe less.

Ok so it's just drilling into the plastic trim than and not the sheet metal? I'm not concerned about the drilling the hole part just the corrosion that will come from drilling holes in the sheetmetal.

4 hours ago, 19Sierra said:

Ok so it's just drilling into the plastic trim than and not the sheet metal? I'm not concerned about the drilling the hole part just the corrosion that will come from drilling holes in the sheetmetal.

Actually, no, you do have to drill into metal once per guard as well. So four total if putting on front and rear. I didn't think of that when writing yesterday because you can get to that spot with a drill and wheel on. I drilled into the metal and used some touch up paint and super lube in the area. But if you are worried about corrosion from it, you might want to take into account that the guards use metal U nuts, which could potentially move around and scratch the paint a little over time too.