Would diesel work for me or stick to gas?

In need of a new vehicle sometime before the Fall.I do anywhere from 15K to 20K per year on average. Sometimes more.

I've thought of doing either the Colorado or a 1/2 ton Silverado with my first ever diesel engine. 4x4 as well.

Mileage is what I'm looking for. A standard trip to town for me is 45 miles one way, all but 6 miles of that 80 mph limit, interstate. So "warming up" isn't an issue. Can I travel 75 mph and do OK with mileage or does that high a speed kill it?

Living on Montana ,below zero weather IS an issue. I can park in a garage and can plug in overnight. I'm assuming I'd need a radiator cover for the Winter?

What about the exhaust additive, the urea/water stuff? Someone explain THAT to me, or  give me a link to get educated.Wont that freeze up in the Winter? Or it's tank is heated I assume?

I don't tow other than a fairly light flatbed with a mower on it, once or twice a summer.So towing not an issue.

I don't need a ton of room or towing capability.  intend to look into the Colorado with the 4 cyl as well as a Silverado with the 3.0 liter. 

Thank You Gentleman.

Well, given the profile described, you do not need a diesel engine at all.  1500 4x4 with either gas motor will serve you well.  But if you WANT a diesel and don't mind paying the premium for one, get it.

The diesel will probably net you the best mileage. But you have to decide if the price premium (the engine and typically more expensive fuel) is worth it to you. The 3.0 may get similar mileage, but the diesel will blow it out of the water on power. 

18 minutes ago, OkieMedic said:

The diesel will probably net you the best mileage. But you have to decide if the price premium (the engine and typically more expensive fuel) is worth it to you. The 3.0 may get similar mileage, but the diesel will blow it out of the water on power. 

It WILL NOT blow it out of the water on power.  I own a 3.0 and have owned numerous 5.3s and 6.2s with and without forced induction, the 3.0 is under 280 HP however has 460 TQ so it is quick and the TQ comes on quickly at 1600 RPMs 100%. 5.3 and 3.0 tow numbers are relative and they are almost identical in a drag race depending on elevation.  I prefer the diesel over the 5.3 and I do drive 75-80 everywhere (Texas) and my 3.0 in stock form gave me 25-26 mpg consistently hand calculated.  I do not see the 5.3 doing so but if you do not want to pay a little extra then go with the 5.3.  My decision this go round was between the 6.2 and 3.0.  I went 3.0 because premium fuel and diesel are very close in price here and no way a 6.2 will touch the 3.0 for mileage however it is obviously not as fast.  I use this truck for work commutes as I was getting tired of getting 13 mpg in my supercharged 6.2 with mid travel suspension and 35s.  I will warn you though that if you add much to the 3.0 the mileage will suffer.  I put 20" wheels with 33s on it and pulled the lower valance, leveled it and I get 22 now driving 75-80.  Hope this helps

• Thanks 3

If mileage is your goal  ...   Colorado/Canyon with the diesel.    Wife's Canyon is a mileage king.  It's not fast but the mileage is insane.

DEF just gets added every 1500-2000 miles or so.

Cant help with cold weather, Im in Florida.

• Thanks 1

I had a 2017 Colorado z71 4x4 CCSB. 40,000 miles. Averaged 21.6I towed a 6500# camper (7000 loaded) for several thousand miles. I work 4 miles from home. I go to church 35 miles away and it's 20 miles to the nearest Lowes/Home Depot. It would regen once every fill-up 4-5 hundred miles. Bone stock except for front level kit. I would REGULARLY get 30mpg driving 60 MPH on country back roads and 28 running 70. Only 1 time did the "keep driving" indicator come on. Yes, I got the low power indicator that same day. My dealer came by and picked it up while I was at work, did a manual regen for me and dropped it back off before lunch. (obviously I have a GREAT dealership). No problems since. I loved the truck. However, towing a 7000-7500# camper maxes out the Colorado. So, I traded a few weeks ago to the 3.0 Silverado. The power difference is crazy. Turbo lag gone. You'll love either 2.8 or 3.0

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Get the 1500 with the 4 cylinder turbo.  Great fuel economy on cheap regular unleaded and no diesel emissions crap to worry about.  Will tow 7200lb which should be fine for your mower.  The deals on the Silverado are usually a lot better than on the Colorado.

13 hours ago, FN in MT said:

In need of a new vehicle sometime before the Fall.I do anywhere from 15K to 20K per year on average. Sometimes more.

I've thought of doing either the Colorado or a 1/2 ton Silverado with my first ever diesel engine. 4x4 as well.

Mileage is what I'm looking for. A standard trip to town for me is 45 miles one way, all but 6 miles of that 80 mph limit, interstate. So "warming up" isn't an issue. Can I travel 75 mph and do OK with mileage or does that high a speed kill it?

Living on Montana ,below zero weather IS an issue. I can park in a garage and can plug in overnight. I'm assuming I'd need a radiator cover for the Winter?

What about the exhaust additive, the urea/water stuff? Someone explain THAT to me, or  give me a link to get educated.Wont that freeze up in the Winter? Or it's tank is heated I assume?

I don't tow other than a fairly light flatbed with a mower on it, once or twice a summer.So towing not an issue.

I don't need a ton of room or towing capability.  intend to look into the Colorado with the 4 cyl as well as a Silverado with the 3.0 liter. 

Thank You Gentleman.

The trip to town alone would push me towards diesel for your scenario.  Even at those higher speeds you will get better MPGs than a gas truck.  The 2.8 in the small twins might actually get a touch worse at 75-80mph as its 3.42 gearing and a 6 speed vs. the 3.0 in the big twins that has 3.23 gearing and a 10 speed.  You can even get 3.73 with the diesel offroad package and even that will still turn less RPM probably than the smaller diesel.

Both the Colorado/Canyon 2.8 Duramax and the Silverado/Sierra 3.0 Duramax can be equipped factory with block heaters.  Neither truck uses a winter cover.  The Silverado/Sierra 3.0 Duramax has the active cooling shutters that can close right up in the winter to heat the truck faster.

DEF is pretty straight forward.  Loaded driving/towing and stop/go driving will increase the usage of DEF.  The tank and lines are heated to keep it from freezing.  The freeze point is 11F for DEF.  The tanks are 5 gallons, and typically will get you 5000-8000 miles per tank depending on how much it uses.  My 2016 Colorado diesel I had went about 6500 miles before the 1000mi warning came on the dash (tank was full to start).  During winter you want to keep it 1/2 tank or more as it will reduce the chances of totally freezing.      

Colorado tows great too.  I picked up a John Deere X720 with a 2 place sled trailer, towed my friend's 20x10 landscape trailer to haul a commercial Zero Turn and also his 4500lbs dry dump trailer with about 1500lbs of mulch in it.  Even moved an enclosed and loaded 22x10 for a friend who's truck broke down.  I haven't towed with a 3.0 yet.  

Edited by newdude

1 hour ago, Whistlingwings said:

How’s the 3.0 diesel as far as longevity with city driving and as a daily driver in a city environment? Better than the ecodiesel?

Its brand new. No one knows.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ferrari Eater said:

I don't think most people buy pick up trucks to drag race...though I could be wrong ?

I was simply covering all bases and you pulled a single line out of a paragraph of info ?. However I do like anything I drive to have some giddy up.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TRKLGND said:

Get the 1500 with the 4 cylinder turbo.  Great fuel economy on cheap regular unleaded and no diesel emissions crap to worry about.  Will tow 7200lb which should be fine for your mower.  The deals on the Silverado are usually a lot better than on the Colorado.

Worth a look, test drive.

We have a new Honda with a 4 banger turbo.

Surprised at it's performance.

:)