C&D test results are always on the “quick” side of things. And MT on the slow side. Reality on the street is usually somewhere between the two. 

With intake and catback and 3.42s, I still can only match, but never beat the 5.4 seconds C&D got on a stock High Country with 3.23s.

As far as the 5.3 vs 6.2 debate, I never begrudge anyone who buys the 5.3. Quite the opposite, I’ve complemented the 5.3 in the new trucks A LOT. Think even in this thread I did.

I just wanted the fastest truck I could get because I’m a man child. And there’s snow and salt on the roads almost half the year and a sports car wouldn’t work.

Besides, in a straight line these trucks would embarrass just about any “sports car” from the mid 70s through the 90s and even some in the 2000s. I swear this thing would smoke my 96 Camaro SS from 0 to at least 50. AWD and auto trans, this thing just hooks up and goes. It’s a lot of fun and worth the money to me.

• Thanks 2

I agree.  The new trucks are discounted no matter what they have in them. I couldn’t believe my 2018 Sierra with the 6.2L had $12,500 off of it when I bought it. Blew my mind. 
now I just wish they would offer it in all trim levels, along the 10 speed across the board as well. 

I just checked my local GMC dealer a fairly large one. They had 2 6.2s. In Denalis. The had more diesels. They were in the 60K range. They had reasonably equipped 20s with 5.3s in the mid 30K range. And 21s in the high 30s. The extra few bells and whistles plus the 6.2. I can do lots of mods and be very comfortable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unfortunately these trucks aren’t as easy or cheap to tune as the K2s. And having the powertrain warranty intact is kind of important given some of the issues I’ve seen. Better off in the long run buying what you want out of the gate, IMO.

Much of the price problem is inventory right now and GM’s priority is clearly on high end trims. You can get a 6.2 10 speed theoretically pretty cheap in the Custom TB. If you can find one. RST too.

No skin in this game cause I'm too old to worry about having a race truck but I wonder if anyone has reset the trims on a 5.3 then run straight 93 octane compared to running the 87 octane to see what difference it makes in performance. Would the trims boost the power to compensate for better fuel and how much ? Just how smart is AFM ?

1 hour ago, TNTSilverado said:

A couple tenths of a second huh?? A couple is 2. Last I checked it was about 7 tenths which is pretty big when racing. 

You read my post but you didn't comprehend it. Read it again slowly. I said stoplight to stop light. 

48 minutes ago, OnTheReel said:

C&D test results are always on the “quick” side of things. And MT on the slow side. Reality on the street is usually somewhere between the two. 

With intake and catback and 3.42s, I still can only match, but never beat the 5.4 seconds C&D got on a stock High Country with 3.23s.

As far as the 5.3 vs 6.2 debate, I never begrudge anyone who buys the 5.3. Quite the opposite, I’ve complemented the 5.3 in the new trucks A LOT. Think even in this thread I did.

I just wanted the fastest truck I could get because I’m a man child. And there’s snow and salt on the roads almost half the year and a sports car wouldn’t work.

Besides, in a straight line these trucks would embarrass just about any “sports car” from the mid 70s through the 90s and even some in the 2000s. I swear this thing would smoke my 96 Camaro SS from 0 to at least 50. AWD and auto trans, this thing just hooks up and goes. It’s a lot of fun and worth the money to me.

I couldn’t agree more with you.  I can drive this thing all year long and pull my boat along with it. 
My goal is a ZL1 camaro convertible but it is on hold because of possibly building new house and a boy, who is getting at driving age. I want him to have a nice reliable truck or larger SUV

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, steelcity said:

You read my post but you didn't comprehend it. Read it again slowly. I said stoplight to stop light. 

I read it. And I think you should reread mine also!  I gave you numerical data that shows the difference in 0 to 60. That’s what I was referring to. Big difference. 
Go drive one, I can guarantee you will have a smile on your face the minute you put it into sport mode and mash the gas pedal!!!  

• Like 1

As for the “picked on” as a kid statement. Pretty lame!  I don’t see how enjoying 420 HP and being bullied relate. Maybe it’s you that can’t afford the $2500 up charge and the cost of premium fuel????. And your envious of that??????

No junior, I have a couple of Corvettes in my garage. THOSE are fast. If you think your 6.2 pickup truck is fast then apparently you haven't been in a fast vehicle.  

24 minutes ago, OnTheReel said:

Unfortunately these trucks aren’t as easy or cheap to tune as the K2s. And having the powertrain warranty intact is kind of important given some of the issues I’ve seen. Better off in the long run buying what you want out of the gate, IMO.

Much of the price problem is inventory right now and GM’s priority is clearly on high end trims. You can get a 6.2 10 speed theoretically pretty cheap in the Custom TB. If you can find one. RST too.

I’m not a fan of a lifted truck like the TB. I wish GM would have made the RST with a more aggressive stance like the 03-06 SS models. A 30 to 40 HP boast would also be nice for the refresh, because like you said a tune on these right now is above $3k and loss of warranty. 
I’m leaning towards the Pulsar LT but waiting till spring for the warmer weather and more of the bugs worked out of them. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, TNTSilverado said:

I read it. And I think you should reread mine also!  I gave you numerical data that shows the difference in 0 to 60. That’s what I was referring to. Big difference. 
Go drive one, I can guarantee you will have a smile on your face the minute you put it into sport mode and mash the gas pedal!!!  

It doesn't matter what YOU were referring to. You quoted me then contradicted me.  I'll say it again a little slower this time. 

"So the 6.2 is going to beat the 5.3 to the next stop light by a couple tenths of a second." 

Take your time, read it, think about it then if you're still confused I'll draw pictures or something to help you understand..

A couple tenths of a second huh?? A couple is 2. Last I checked it was about 7 tenths which is pretty big when racing. 

I’m 39 years old and still love to mash on the truck every now and then. It’s a joy driving a truck that can go 0-60 in under 6 seconds. As for the “picked on” as a kid statement. Pretty lame!  I don’t see how enjoying 420 HP and being bullied relate. Maybe it’s you that can’t afford the $2500 up charge and the cost of premium fuel????. And your envious of that??????

Eh.  In this day and age 5 seconds isn't too big of a deal.  Now if you were in the 4 second club.. that would be something.  But given how many cars and trucks and SUVs out there are now turbocharged and what have ya, the 5 second club is the new normal. 

16 minutes ago, steelcity said:

No junior, I have a couple of Corvettes in my garage. THOSE are fast. If you think your 6.2 pickup truck is fast then apparently you haven't been in a fast vehicle.  

Lol. Junior!  I struck a nerve. Well I’ve been in plenty of fast cars. Let’s take a 850HP camaro ZL1 that beat a dodge demon at Texas speedway. Has over $36k in the motor and transmission. A 1984 big block camaro Z28 with nitrous that put 722 hp to the ground. And 2013 avalanche totally stripped with a ZL1 camaro motor and 4.10 rear end. So yes SIR! I know fast cars. The ZL1 pulls so hard you can’t pick your head out of the seat. Can your vette do that? 

And these new trucks are pretty fast for an almost 6k lb sled. And also SIR, it can pull my boat to my lake house beautifully!  

3962383B-18AF-40A7-A533-61B6D6909ACD.jpeg

36 minutes ago, steelcity said:

It doesn't matter what YOU were referring to. You quoted me then contradicted me.  I'll say it again a little slower this time. 

"So the 6.2 is going to beat the 5.3 to the next stop light by a couple tenths of a second." 

Take your time, read it, think about it then if you're still confused I'll draw pictures or something to help you understand..

Lol. I quoted you because you obviously don’t understand what a couple means. Which is “2” and even from-stop light to stop light you’re looking at getting up to 40 to 50 mph. Which would be more than a “couple” tenths.   I suggest you watch This clip from TFL and  see the difference.  See how the 6.2L takes off compared to the 5.3L.   I rest my case and I didn’t draw a picture, I gave you a video so you truly can understand and comprehend! 

Edited by TNTSilverado

After having a couple previous Denalis with the 6.2 and then a 16 AT with the 5.3, all of them tuned, 6.2s were blackbear and the 5.3 was Lew, I missed the effortless power of the 6.2 most noticeably on the interstate. Just not at the point in my life for a 3rd vehicle in the house, my wife has a 550i which is that 4 second car you reference I can drive to scratch the itch (it’s great my wife likes nice cars!), and I’m getting older with bad knees and hate getting in and out of that thing.

Sport mode is awesome, to have it when you want, and the 10 speed is unbelievably better all around than that clunk box 8 speed. Great to hear the 5.3s improved a lot, didn’t drive a new one with it, I had 6.2 fever! The new 6.2 I have now would annihilate the 16 as soon as it got traction. My manhood has been compensated!?

Some are 5.3 people and some are 6.2 people, glad we have 2 solid choices! The duramax’s will wipe the floor with us when they start tuning those haha

• Like 1

I'm just happy to see people at least discussing these trucks. My '21 LTZ is my first truck and I love it. The 6.2 /10 speed combo is really impressive because I had not driven a truck in about 15 years. It needed to have good enough power to get out of it's own way, reasonable gas mileage, and comfy technology. This really does all of that. Clearly the 6.2 sharing the long block with the LT1 is the big dog, but from what it looks like they have really done a nice job bringing the 5.3 along too. My other cars are a C8 & C5 so I couldn't do the 5.3. I'm curious what other little things every one has done that shave a few tenths off.