10 hours ago, truckguy82 said:

Did the new 5.3 get a lot faster or something?

I’ve driven numerous 5.3 and 6.2 loaners and a t1xx 6.2 loaner, and my own k2xx 6.2

You guys are smoking crack if you think the 6.2 and 5.3 are remotely close in performance.

6.2 feels like you slapped a blower on a 5.3.

It's probably 4-5 tenths quicker in the 1/4 over the previous 5.3's.  The 6.2 is obviously quicker in every way but the race isn't a blowout like I expected. 

48 minutes ago, 19AT4 said:

Yep it didn't make any sense to me, I know they'd both do much better at sea level.  In the cab I could hardly notice a difference in power, he previously had a 8 speed 6.2 and he said the new one is a dog compared to his last one.  I hear the 8 speeds were quicker in the 1/4 mile.  I've yet to find any videos of the new 6.2 in the 13.9 range stock. 

According to Car & Driver, the 8 speed 6.2 was actually the slowest. All tests are on similar configuration, fully loaded trucks. 14 was a Denali, 15 and 19 are High Countries.

2014: 0-60 5.4s, 1/4 14.1 @ 99

2015: 0-60 5.7s, 1/4 14.3 @ 98

2019: 0-60 5.4s, 1/4 13.9 @ 100

Realistically, on the street it would be a coin flip for any of the 3. 

The only comparative figures I have from someone else with a Dragy on the 19+ trucks was an AT4 6.2 with the similar intake / exhaust mods as mine. That being a factory lifted truck on A/T tires and with 3.23s instead of 3.42s did 0-60 in 5.71. So really not that far off from mine. Another virtual coin flip. These 6.2 trucks are not any slower or faster than the last gen. 5.3 definitely is quicker though.

Edited by OnTheReel

12 hours ago, OnTheReel said:

According to Car & Driver, the 8 speed 6.2 was actually the slowest. All tests are on similar configuration, fully loaded trucks. 14 was a Denali, 15 and 19 are High Countries.

2014: 0-60 5.4s, 1/4 14.1 @ 99

2015: 0-60 5.7s, 1/4 14.3 @ 98

2019: 0-60 5.4s, 1/4 13.9 @ 100

Realistically, on the street it would be a coin flip for any of the 3. 

The only comparative figures I have from someone else with a Dragy on the 19+ trucks was an AT4 6.2 with the similar intake / exhaust mods as mine. That being a factory lifted truck on A/T tires and with 3.23s instead of 3.42s did 0-60 in 5.71. So really not that far off from mine. Another virtual coin flip. These 6.2 trucks are not any slower or faster than the last gen. 5.3 definitely is quicker though.

My dd is a tuned 6.2

I had a ‘19 denali loaner for 3 days.

It felt like the performance was in between my truck stock and my truck tuned.

despite what any numbers say, the unmodded for unmodden, t1xx is way way better feeling. I would not tune it if I bought one. It fell pretty similar to my tuned 6.2. Stock K2xx felt like gm let a bunch of 5th graders tune the throttle and torque management for a class project. 

interesting that the 5.3 got significantly quicker, I wasn’t aware of that.

I drove a new style 19 for a couple days and it seemed a lot quicker than my old tuned 5.3, like you can tell it's about 500 lbs lighter.  Its kinda disappointing that the new 6.2s aren't that much quicker or at all quicker than the old style.  They definitely don't feel 500 lbs lighter than the old style.     

1 hour ago, SILVER SLED said:

I drove a new style 19 for a couple days and it seemed a lot quicker than my old tuned 5.3, like you can tell it's about 500 lbs lighter.  Its kinda disappointing that the new 6.2s aren't that much quicker or at all quicker than the old style.  They definitely don't feel 500 lbs lighter than the old style.     

500 LBS is really for the more stripped down models . Other higher models dont see that much weight savings.

The 5.3 for sure got quicker because of the 8 speed vs 6 speed .  Its able to stay in higher RPM. 

The 6.2  8 speed vs 10 speed is very close in performance. I do also agree its disappointing the GM has not touched their engines power in going on almost 8 years  now. I also understand these are trucks and not race cars so the power is  more then adequate. One thing i wish GM did was give you more gear options like RAM and Ford do . 

A 6.2 with 3.55 or even 3.73 would be much quicker then 3.23 

Edited by f8l vnm

8 hours ago, f8l vnm said:

500 LBS is really for the more stripped down models . Other higher models dont see that much weight savings.

The 5.3 for sure got quicker because of the 8 speed vs 6 speed .  Its able to stay in higher RPM. 

The 6.2  8 speed vs 10 speed is very close in performance. I do also agree its disappointing the GM has not touched their engines power in going on almost 8 years  now. I also understand these are trucks and not race cars so the power is  more then adequate. One thing i wish GM did was give you more gear options like RAM and Ford do . 

A 6.2 with 3.55 or even 3.73 would be much quicker then 3.23 

The 5.3 had the 8 speed available in the k2xx

I can tell you that I had a 2018 Sierra with 6.2L 3.23 8spd. I now have a 2019 Silverado 6.2L 3.23 with 10 spd. I can tell you this new 19 would beat my 18. The 10 spd is so dialed in it's crazy, and to be able to put it into sport mode makes it even snappier. I also had my 18 tuned with a Hypertech programmer.  Made huge difference in performance, but this 19 would still have beaten it. The 8spds in the 6.2Ls have a clunking/hesitation problem between 1st/2nd gear. Was always hunting when driving around town. This new 10spd does none of that! 

I test drove the 5.3 vs the 6.2 since I wanted to see if the difference was worth the upgrade cost. No brainer. I don’t know the details of the trans or the gearing but it was a night and day difference between how the 2020 trucks accelerated. Total no brainer. I gladly paid the difference and got the 6.2 in my Sierra. In every way it felt stronger. It was the most apparent on the roll on but even from a dead start the 6.2 felt MUCH faster that the 5.3. I don’t care about the MPG difference. These are huge fat trucks after all. 

• 8 months later...

Nice numbers. Ya the new T1 5.3Ls are a HUGE upgrade over the K2s and it’s because of the transmission. The K2s were lazy shifting and hindered by GMs programming. 

GM did a great job reprogramming the 8 spd and 10 spd transmissions in the T1s. The new 5.3L is great but it doesn’t compare to the 6.2L. 

Car and Driver had 6.2L @ 5.4 secs

And a 5.3L @ 6.1 secs. 

Still very respectable when the last 5.3L they had did it in 7.2 secs.  So shaving a second is quite impressive. 

Mu stepdads 2020 Sierra SLT 5.3L with 10 spd is no slouch. It greatly impressed me because I owned 2 K2 5.3L. One with a 6 spd and other with the 8 spd. 

So the 6.2 is going to beat the 5.3 to the next stop light by a couple tenths of a second.  It's a $2500 option and you have to run premium fuel in it. 

I know I must be missing something but I can't figure out what.  5.3 10 speed in a pickup truck seems plenty enough for me. 

Unless of course you're young and have been picked on your whole life, then by all means get the 6.2 and hammer the snot out of it from stop light to stop light and  show em who's boss, lol!

Me, well I'm happy with the length of my manhood and my 5.3.

Edited by steelcity

I would pay the up charge if was in the Texas Edition trucks I was buying back in the day. The trouble was when I was buying new every couple years. They weren’t discounting the 6.2 equips trucks. The up charge was usually 12-15K. That pays for lots of mods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, steelcity said:

So the 6.2 is going to beat the 5.3 to the next stop light by a couple tenths of a second.  It's a $2500 option and you have to run premium fuel in it. 

I know I must be missing something but I can't figure out what.  5.3 10 speed in a pickup truck seems plenty enough for me. 

Unless of course you're young and have been picked on your whole life, then by all means get the 6.2 and hammer the snot out of it from stop light to stop light and  show em who's boss, lol!

Me, well I'm happy with the length of my manhood and my 5.3.

A couple tenths of a second huh?? A couple is 2. Last I checked it was about 7 tenths which is pretty big when racing. 

I’m 39 years old and still love to mash on the truck every now and then. It’s a joy driving a truck that can go 0-60 in under 6 seconds. As for the “picked on” as a kid statement. Pretty lame!  I don’t see how enjoying 420 HP and being bullied relate. Maybe it’s you that can’t afford the $2500 up charge and the cost of premium fuel????. And your envious of that??????

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KARNUT said:

I would pay the up charge if was in the Texas Edition trucks I was buying back in the day. The trouble was when I was buying new every couple years. They weren’t discounting the 6.2 equips trucks. The up charge was usually 12-15K. That pays for lots of mods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree.  The new trucks are discounted no matter what they have in them. I couldn’t believe my 2018 Sierra with the 6.2L had $12,500 off of it when I bought it. Blew my mind. 
now I just wish they would offer it in all trim levels, along the 10 speed across the board as well. 

I always see this 6.1sec 0-60mph from C&D for the 5.3L. Were they going downhill with a tailwind? 

My 5.3L / 8spd hasn't gotten anywhere near that. And I have the GMPE and CAI, which does seem to have maybe helped quicken things up a tad bit, but not that much.