Rev Hard Tonneau Leaks

I bought a 2020 AT4 a couple months ago and had the dealer install the hard tonneau cover. This thing lets in so much water it’s crazy. Does anybody have the installation instructions? Curious to see if they installed it wrong. It looks like it needs an adjustment. The triple lip seal at the back of the tonneau barely touches the tailgate and lets in water. It looks like I have enough contact at the front to adjust the whole thing back a quarter inch. Also there are two gutter tubes in the front corners that exit through holes in the front of the box and they leak more water into the box than they get out.  

55B2A7E0-9337-4755-AB05-F0B9E7C879B7.jpeg

Edited by ForkliftJeff

Went out to take a few pictures and noticed the tonneau was installed crooked. I was able to loosen the two main nuts holding the front down and straightened the tonneau, as well as slid it back so the seal at the tailgate makes a better contact. Still gonna have to seal up the corners better and seal the multi gate but this is a start. 

836B8135-DD0B-41D6-A974-D6BA989F7ED4.jpeg

B58C42FE-DB4B-4636-B99B-B35D1E8ED4F9.jpeg

69C05E0A-8D87-4288-B799-8185D9F90267.jpeg

2756E90B-8E1A-4897-A468-B5EE8935BA5E.jpeg

Edited by ForkliftJeff

What cover is that?

That hard Tri-Fold cover looks exactly like the BakFlip MX4 that I have........

Mine leaks a slight bit but not bad......alignment and gasket sealing is critical and so is the torque on the front knobs as that puts pressure on the front seal. 

You will never get it waterproof but it shouldn't leak like a sieve either. 

I have what looks like the same cover installed by the dealer on my SLT. Mine is made by REV. So far we have had some pretty hard rain storms and has not leaked. I have not seen any water in the box, so I guess it depends on the installation but so far I am pleased with this cover.

I have this same cover, and I just went out and looked as it is currently raining out, and my bed is dry, whoever there is some water drops in a few spots, but overall on a scale of 1-10 I would give it a 9 for dryness.  Very pleased with the cover.

Are you sure the cover is leaking? Let me explain that...

On my hard cover, the water gets trapped in the mounting rails, but instead of going out the front drain holes it flows back and out the end by the tailgate, and into the bed. My issue is the mounting rails not draining properly and had I not seen it happen by opening the tailgate and seeing water flowing out the rails, I would have though it was from the rear seal, but in my case, it isn't.

Water flows into and out of the lower channel in this image, it hits the tailgate and instead of all of it flowing down and out, a good portion makes it back into the bed. This is on an extang xceed.

xceed_rear_channel.jpg

Edited by Coastie

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/5/2020 at 7:15 AM, BigMick2020 said:

What cover is that?

That hard Tri-Fold cover looks exactly like the BakFlip MX4 that I have........

Mine leaks a slight bit but not bad......alignment and gasket sealing is critical and so is the torque on the front knobs as that puts pressure on the front seal. 

You will never get it waterproof but it shouldn't leak like a sieve either. 

This is the REV hard tri-fold installed from the dealer. I have read it is possibly made by the same manufacturer as the Backflip. 

On 6/9/2020 at 6:04 AM, railguy777 said:

I have what looks like the same cover installed by the dealer on my SLT. Mine is made by REV. So far we have had some pretty hard rain storms and has not leaked. I have not seen any water in the box, so I guess it depends on the installation but so far I am pleased with this cover.

On 6/9/2020 at 1:34 PM, kurtg2020 said:

I have this same cover, and I just went out and looked as it is currently raining out, and my bed is dry, whoever there is some water drops in a few spots, but overall on a scale of 1-10 I would give it a 9 for dryness.  Very pleased with the cover.

Good to hear you guys have the same cover and it keeps dry. I just need some free time when it’s dry to get out there and do a proper water test to see exactly where it’s leaking and fix it. 

On 6/9/2020 at 3:36 PM, Coastie said:

Are you sure the cover is leaking? Let me explain that...

On my hard cover, the water gets trapped in the mounting rails, but instead of going out the front drain holes it flows back and out the end by the tailgate, and into the bed. My issue is the mounting rails not draining properly and had I not seen it happen by opening the tailgate and seeing water flowing out the rails, I would have though it was from the rear seal, but in my case, it isn't.

Water flows into and out of the lower channel in this image, it hits the tailgate and instead of all of it flowing down and out, a good portion makes it back into the bed. This is on an extang xceed.

xceed_rear_channel.jpg

Excellent point on the rails. The fronts go to the drains and the rears just drain near the tailgate. Just need some free time to identify each leak and take care of em. 

Hey there, everyone. This is certainly not what we like to hear. For those experiencing issues, we would like to take a closer look on our end. To do so, please send an email to [email protected] ATTN: Forum Username/GM Trucks with your contact information, VIN, brief description of your concern,  and preferred dealership. We look forward to hearing from you. To learn more about GM's privacy policy, please visit http://bit.ly/2h3ZUnC.

Aleigha W. 

• 6 months later...

An update for ya. 

I contacted the GM team above and they replied back. Unfortunately they are the US team and I need Canada but they forwarded my info and the Canadian team got right back to me. I had my truck in for its first service and to have the tonneau cover looked at. They didn’t really listen to my concerns and adjusted the cover making it way worse. I got back to the GM customer care team and gave them a word document with pictures showing every little issue as well as a few videos. They got the service manager in touch with me and we made an appointment. So last week I dropped off my truck as well as all my info on the leaks and let them at it. 4 days later I got my truck back. They installed a new cover as well as did some modifications to help prevent any leaks in the future. They said the water test was good so now I’m just waiting for it to rain so I can see if it is any better. The cover looks 100% better than the last one. I have high hopes for this one but time will tell. 

And the customer care team did a great job at keeping me in the loop. I think I have about 15 emails back and forth with them. 

51B0FB08-89BB-4560-A211-63C70248FDEF.jpeg

My GMC REV cover was installed by the dealership right after I bought the truck.  I noticed a fair amount of water in the bed after a decent rain or hand-washing the truck.  I realized the seals were riding a bit above the bed rail and adjusted the clamps to make sure the seals were actually sitting on the plastic rails.  That was a five minute adjustment and it helped a lot.  I still get a bit of water in the back, especially if I go through a car wash to get rid of road salt--mostly at the rear corners.  This cover is definitely not as dry as the GMC cover on my 2014, but I really like the hard cover better than the pseudo-hard 2014 cover that was like a soft cover with hard inserts underneath.

• 2 months later...

Well turns out this cover leaks too much for my liking as well. And the service manager agrees so they are going to take the cover off and refund me. Most likely gonna go with the Extang Xceed.