My 2019 LT (5.3) has a clogged A/C drain and it's going to require a dashboard removal to repair it. The service manager said it's going to be a 3-6 hour job and will be warrantied, but I'm not too happy about the inconvenience of the whole thing. I'm a little disappointed that it's happening on a truck with 13K miles and not too psyched about a dash removal. I'm concerned about problems in the future. Should I be worried about the repair? Anyone run into this problem yet?  

Interesting. They can usually be cleaned out through the drain hole. Would have to be something misassembled or misaligned with it being so new. Dash tear downs usually leave you with squeaks and rattles. Good luck.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, TMD said:

My 2019 LT (5.3) has a clogged A/C drain and it's going to require a dashboard removal to repair it. The service manager said it's going to be a 3-6 hour job and will be warrantied, but I'm not too happy about the inconvenience of the whole thing. I'm a little disappointed that it's happening on a truck with 13K miles and not too psyched about a dash removal. I'm concerned about problems in the future. Should I be worried about the repair? Anyone run into this problem yet?  

Never had a clogged ac drain line in almost 3 decades of driving gm trucks. How a truck with only 13,000 miles has this happen is beyond me. Do you park it under a tree or bush that contentiously dumps on your truck or something?

As the previous poster said we have had a few members here have to have their dash ripped completely apart for other issues but the components and bolts and clips that hold it all together is immense. We all know those clips too are never as tight as when initially installed at the factory. Imo most plastic clips today should be one time use, once the stretch out, their effectiveness is very reduced imo and that is what will causes future rattles.

Edited by BIGDOGx

9 minutes ago, BIGDOGx said:

Never had a clogged ac drain line in almost 3 decades of driving gm trucks. How a truck with only 13,000 miles has this happen is beyond me. Do you park it under a tree or bush that contentiously dumps on your truck or something?

As the previous poster said we have had a few members here have to have their dash ripped completely apart for other issues but the components and bolts and clips that hold it all together is immense. We all know those clips too are never as tight as when initially installed at the factory. Imo most plastic clips today should be one time use, once the stretch out, their effectiveness is very reduced imo and that is what will causes future rattles.

I do not park under a tree. I mentioned that I wasn't too happy about the prospect of having my dash torn apart, and he agreed that it's a bit much (no other way to get at it I guess). I'm going to let them know, kindly of course, that every squeak, rattle, or other annoying sound coming from my dash from here on out is going to require attention. 

Edited by TMD

26 minutes ago, TMD said:

I do not park under a tree. I mentioned that I wasn't too happy about the prospect of having my dash torn apart, and he agreed that it's a bit much (no other way to get at it I guess). I'm going to let them know, kindly of course, that every squeak, rattle, or other annoying sound coming from my dash from here on out is going to require attention. 

I wish you luck, to have some piece of mind one of those guys on here who did have his dash taken apart did comment that the tech did a rather good job of reassembling it and doesn't think it will be an issue down the road.

On 7/1/2020 at 3:40 PM, TMD said:

Besides not seeing water dripping from the truck, what are the symptoms of a plugged drain?  I only ask as my truck is going in for the 4 time for AC issues.  13,000 miles as well.

18 minutes ago, ejdziurka said:

Besides not seeing water dripping from the truck, what are the symptoms of a plugged drain?  I only ask as my truck is going in for the 4 time for AC issues.  13,000 miles as well.

The only real symptom is water draining onto the floor of the passenger side... It must be getting trapped, pooling up, and then draining when I turn left. It sort of makes a sizzling sound because it's draining through the hot blower motor (which I'm sure will fail now too). Everything else seems to be fine. The A/C is still nice and cold. 

On 7/2/2020 at 12:24 PM, BlancoSilverado said:

The drain exit is on top of the trans towards the passenger side,

I had the same problem. i ended using ozium for the mold and pushing some air though the exit hole (multiple times). 

Interesting. I'm not sure why the techs couldn't do that instead of removing my dash?? 

• 2 weeks later...

I thought I was the only one. Just got mine back from the dealer after 10 days. Truck has less than 4000 miles on it. My issue wasn’t a clogged drain but no hole cut in firewall for the drain to go through.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Update: The techs accessed the drain from the engine side of the firewall. They removed the intake manifold and were able to snake the line... He said about a gallon and a half of water pissed out after they snaked it. Best possible outcome, I guess. I was pretty anxious about having my dashboard removed. Everything seems fine now... Well, everything's fine with the A/C - I'm sure another gremlin will pop its head up soon enough. 

Update: The techs accessed the drain from the engine side of the firewall. They removed the intake manifold and were able to snake the line... He said about a gallon and a half of water pissed out after they snaked it. Best possible outcome, I guess. I was pretty anxious about having my dashboard removed. Everything seems fine now... Well, everything's fine with the A/C - I'm sure another gremlin will pop its head up soon enough. 

Lucky. Mine was completely ripped out and have only had it for 4 months. Seems ok so far and other than a bunch of fingerprints on the center of the windshield

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk