Ordered Silverado has finally arrived.

Greetings to my fellow members. Thank you for such an awesome forum. I’ve learned so much about trucks in the short time I’ve been a member. My question is. Now that my ordered truck has finally arrived. What kind of deal should I expect? The msrp is $57,655. My salesman says the pdi will be done tomorrow morning before lunchtime. And he told me to come in after 1. I know the current incentive is $5000 customer cash. Is it possible to get $10,000 off a ordered truck? Especially when dealerships have zero inventory? We have not spoken about price yet. The only price mentioned. Was at the time of ordering. Back in February. He wrote on the build sheet. Price will be under $50k. High $40s. If he keeps his word. Is $49k a fair price before sales tax? 

Is that really the way it works when ordering a truck?  You don’t negotiate price when you submit an order?  My guess is you’ll get shafted because of inventory and stuff but you never know. I’d fight for 45k and end up somewhere a little higher. When I bought my truck back in October I got it around 11k under msrp. 

You can’t really get a firm set in stone price when you order a truck because incentives change every month. But of course. Now with inventory at like zero around my local area. I also have a feeling I’m going to get shafted on the price. And I may walk away from a vehicle I ordered just for me back in mid February before the Virus took over the world. Oh well. I will have to wait and see what tomorrow brings. Wish me some good luck ?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Chevyguy273 said:

You can’t really get a firm set in stone price when you order a truck because incentives change every month. But of course. Now with inventory at like zero around my local area. I also have a feeling I’m going to get shafted on the price. And I may walk away from a vehicle I ordered just for me back in mid February before the Virus took over the world. Oh well. I will have to wait and see what tomorrow brings. Wish me some good luck ?

Good luck?

Not to be an Ahole, but it sounds more like you are buying a price rather than a truck.

Have you had a chance to go to a "lending institution" of your choice to get pre qualified? That way you know what you should get for a rate, also are you trading anything in?

You might be able to take rebates and their higher rate, then refinance through your bank for a lower rate to save money. 

Be realistic, and open minded, make it a fun experience rather than going in looking for a fight, if you do happen to walk, make it a good reason of your choice.

Edited by JimCost2014
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, JimCost2014 said:

Good luck?

Not to be an Ahole, but it sounds more like you are buying a price rather than a truck.

Have you had a chance to go to a "lending institution" of your choice to get pre qualified? That way you know what you should get for a rate, also are you trading anything in?

You might be able to take rebates and their higher rate, then refinance through your bank for a lower rate to save money. 

Be realistic, and open minded, make it a fun experience rather than going in looking for a fight, if you do happen to walk, make it a good reason of your choice.

very wise advice.....when I shopped a few months ago, I contacted over 30 dealerships and sometimes I went in looking for a fight and it never ended in my benefit.....they do want to sell but remember we are only 1 buyer, we aren't going to make or break their dealership, lol

best way to look at it is have a number set you wont go over.....be nice, polite, but firm and negotiate way lower and see if you cant walk outta there with your truck.....keep pie hole shut as much as possible and let them do talking....amazing how much info we give out un knowingly that hurts our end of the deal....

and for sure go in pre qualified if for nothing else to protect an interest rate.....plus I think it just shows your a bit more on top of your game instead of relying on them to give you whatever....

good luck, went thru this twice in last 9 months... got excellent deals on both but I learned a lot as well how to negotiate and how not too, lol

have to believe you will probably pay bit more than a few months ago....around here there are no trucks to speak of really....few trickling in but empty for most part

Edited by Dunn
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Dunn said:

very wise advice.....when I shopped a few months ago, I contacted over 30 dealerships and sometimes I went in looking for a fight and it never ended in my benefit.....they do want to sell but remember we are only 1 buyer, we aren't going to make or break their dealership, lol

best way to look at it is have a number set you wont go over.....be nice, polite, but firm and negotiate way lower and see if you cant walk outta there with your truck.....keep pie hole shut as much as possible and let them do talking....amazing how much info we give out un knowingly that hurts our end of the deal....

and for sure go in pre qualified if for nothing else to protect an interest rate.....plus I think it just shows your a bit more on top of your game instead of relying on them to give you whatever....

good luck, went thru this twice in last 9 months... got excellent deals on both but I learned a lot as well how to negotiate and how not too, lol

Well said, the buyer can control the encounter just as well, if not better than the dealer if they keep their temper, and emotions (feeling pressured) in check.

Impulse, and anger (unrealistic expectations on price of new or trade in value) usually lead to a bad buying experience. 

Typically you would negotiate the dealer discount prior to the order then the manufacturers incentives can fluctuate. I would say if rebates are $5k you should get $10k off. 

• Like 1

This is why I never ordered.....

No dealer would/could lock in a price and I won’t wait for months then pay whatever they offer as a price, just to be disappointed and have to walk.

I dealt on a 2020 RST That was very close to what I wanted anyway, and timing was perfect....

Early April with tons of stock and awesome deals as they were then trying to sell anything with the economy tanked.

Even snagged 0% interest.

Good luck, hope you can work out a deal you are happy with

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JimCost2014 said:

Good luck?

You are not an ahole at all. You are just giving your advice and opinion. And I respect and appreciate that. I am very fortunate in my middle age. That I have the means to not worry about the rate or monthly payment on this truck. I won’t be trading in my little Corolla towards this behemoth of a vehicle. I am also not looking for a fight at the dealership. But. I’m also not going to accept a discount that I don’t think is fair. I’ve actually had a good experience so far. It’s been fun checking on it’s progress every week with Chevy chat since the factories started up again in May. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, bobbobtar said:

I'd be happy with the $5000 and not push too hard. The dealer probably has a list of people waiting for any truck.

You are absolutely correct. My salesman told me the truck I ordered has been viewed almost 200 times on their website since they listed it 3 weeks ago as in transit. They get many calls on it because it’s a LTZ Crew Cab short box with the big bad 6.2. So. I know there’s a line of people that will buy it if I don’t. That’s why I think. When I go in tomorrow and take it for a ride. That when the time to talk price. I have a feeling there won’t be a good deal like you could get 6 months ago when inventory was plentiful. Oh well. I’ll see what happens tomorrow. 

Ordered mine without solid price, but sales manager did guarantee me a minimum off plus whatever incentives. Of the 2 dealers I talked to he was the most upfront so he got the deal. Truck came in and I got around 12k off list, i was happy. It was a HC so it listed around 64k

Edited by ArTurf
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Chevyguy273 said:

You should have got a firm dealer discount price before you ordered. That’s the one price that can be constant. The rebates are what the variable is. 

1 hour ago, Chevyguy273 said:

You are not an ahole at all. You are just giving your advice and opinion. And I respect and appreciate that. I am very fortunate in my middle age. That I have the means to not worry about the rate or monthly payment on this truck. I won’t be trading in my little Corolla towards this behemoth of a vehicle. I am also not looking for a fight at the dealership. But. I’m also not going to accept a discount that I don’t think is fair. I’ve actually had a good experience so far. It’s been fun checking on it’s progress every week with Chevy chat since the factories started up again in May. 

Good to hear you having fun getting to point where you can actually drive your new truck.

Ask to see the invoice, they will not disclose hold backs, and the dealer pack, but it will look a lot better than MSRP.