Problems tinting windshield?

Lmfao.. getting ready to tint my truck too and talked with Texas Tint masters. They quoted premium ceramic for mine and didn’t mention anything about that issue. Honestly doesn’t really make sense.. Can’t be any different than a 2018 like mine

10 minutes ago, tmo said:

Lmfao.. getting ready to tint my truck too and talked with Texas Tint masters. They quoted premium ceramic for mine and didn’t mention anything about that issue. Honestly doesn’t really make sense..

Yep. I'm in the Tomball area and had my Suburban done twice (had to replace the windshield) and never heard a thing about issues, waivers, etc.  Oh, and it was GREAT.  Kept the heat down considerably.

I had LLumar CTX put on all 4 doors and the back window but the shop that did them wouldn’t touch the windshield other than doing a visor. I contacted another shop afterwards that said I would have to sign a waiver. They both said that LLumar started sending them warnings about tinting the windshields on the newer model Silverados and Rams. Ask your shop about it when you get yours done. I’d be interested to hear what they have to say. I’d be more comfortable signing the waiver and having it done knowing that others have done it with no issues. 

Yea maybe it’s an issue for newer trucks, but as far as I know they all have similar modules in similar locations. Camera on top, radio in dash. I would think that it would run down the front of the cab before hitting any electronics. I’ll keep you posted and ask about it when I get mine done.. side note I saw a Tesla on YouTube get all around tint and that thing has twice the electronics we do [emoji23]

1 minute ago, tmo said:

Yea maybe it’s an issue for newer trucks, but as far as I know they all have similar modules in similar locations. Camera on top, radio in dash. I would think that it would run down the front of the cab before hitting any electronics. I’ll keep you posted and ask about it when I get mine done.. side note I saw a Tesla on YouTube get all around tint and that thing has twice the electronics we do emoji23.png

I appreciate it. I’ve been able to find horror stories of the Rams shorting out. Won’t start, horn blowing, tailgate opening... etc but nothing on Silverados besides the tint guys being concerned. I agree that if Tesla’s don’t have any issues then we should be fine ?

OK, lets stop right there. 

Local/state laws can stop a shop legally from tinting the entire windshield. Here in CA you can tint 6 inches down from the top legally. 

If you have a signed waiver from a optometrist then you have get the full windshield tinted in CA (check local/state laws).  

Now if a shop wants to tint the windshield illegally then they can but some shops wont do it( my 3M shop wouldnt, even with 70%).

If you have a HUD it will mess with the reflection that is needed from the windshield to make it correctly operate(see able) (2009 vette).

**Also the auto collision avoidance might accidentally get covered by the tint shop and they might not want to get blamed for a 40-60k truck hitting another vehicle.**

Edited by BlancoSilverado
** added more info**
  • Like 1

OK, lets stop right there. 

Local/state laws can stop a shop legally from tinting the entire windshield. Here in CA you can tint 6 inches down from the top legally. 
If you have a signed waiver from a optometrist then you have get the full windshield tinted in CA (check local/state laws).  

Now if a shop wants to tint the windshield illegally then they can but some shops wont do it( my 3M shop wouldnt, even with 70%).

If you have a HUD it will mess with the reflection that is needed from the windshield to make it correctly operate(see able) (2009 vette).

Also the auto collision avoidance might accidentally get covered by the tint shop and they might not want to get blamed for a 40-60k truck hitting another vehicle.
Yep.

Only film I've seen shops offer without a liability release is the 85% UV films.

Btw here is a show truck (on the left) with 5% on the sides and 35% on the windshield. No way you aren't getting a ticket rolling like this. Also bet you can barely see the hood at night [emoji23][emoji23]

a3fcf45e5b54f981198135d5565a6267.jpg

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, topgear1224 said:

Yep.

Only film I've seen shops offer without a liability release is the 85% UV films.

Btw here is a show truck (on the left) with 5% on the sides and 35% on the windshield. No way you aren't getting a ticket rolling like this. Also bet you can barely see the hood at night emoji23.pngemoji23.png

4 minutes ago, topgear1224 said:

Yep.

Btw here is a show truck (on the left) with 5% on the sides and 35% on the windshield. No way you aren't getting a ticket rolling like this. Also bet you can barely see the hood at night emoji23.pngemoji23.png

I was planning on going with a clear film on the windshield. They’re wanting me to sign a waiver not because it’s illegal, but because they don’t want to be held responsible if the electronics get messed up. Apparently it has happened enough for LLumar to start sending out warnings to dealers/installers. 

Oh interesting, never heard of that. I will say I miss my "soundscreen" windshield from my Ford that thing was amazing could barely hear the rain hitting the windshield at 80. Had a UV layer too. Debating on doing the windshield on my truck. On one hand I drive A LOT at night so I'm thinking no.

On the other hand I hate faded interiors.

3 minutes ago, topgear1224 said:

Oh interesting, never heard of that. I will say I miss my "soundscreen" windshield from my Ford that thing was amazing could barely hear the rain hitting the windshield at 80. Had a UV layer too. Debating on doing the windshield on my truck. On one hand I drive A LOT at night so I'm thinking no.

On the other hand I hate faded interiors.

The main reason I want to do it is to help with the heat and UV protection for the dash

The main reason I want to do it is to help with the heat and UV protection for the dash
With GM's history from the 2000s with soft-touch dashes and them constricting, I am actually really surprised to see that they went soft touch all the way to the windshield.

I had 50% put on my windshield a couple months ago (15% on the rest).  It’s a game changer.  Doesn’t interfere with night driving in most conditions....had a rough drive in some heavy fog, but I don’t think the windshield can be totally blamed for that.  The dark side/rear definitely made it a challenge.  

When you find a place, make sure you get good film. It’s worth the extra costs in the long run. 

80 ceramic xpel on my windshield, legal where i live. no waivers or warnings from my local tint shop. no issues with anything, electronics or driving. cant really tell its there tbh, but it does cut heat, ive done this on all my vehicles. ive had 35 on the front in the past, that was perfect to me, but not legal here so i opted not to this time around just to avoid hassles with law enforcement and inspections. hope that info helps good luck

3M Crystalline 90 on my windshield with a 6" visor.  Ceramic IR on the side glass. Can't remember exact passing but darkest legal in Illinois. Ceramic IR5 on the back light. On the hottest days the AC doesn't have to work very hard and now six years old the interior looks new yet. I am glad it has a good heater though. :) 

IMG_0253.JPG.249353198ed5bf0315ed3b52e7b758c4.JPG