Problems tinting windshield?

On 7/25/2020 at 9:13 AM, lebag335 said:

I’m in Texas too. How does the state sticker affect the windshield tint. I’m concerned about removing old sticker and damaging the tint? 

We use a clear vinyl static rectangle and stick the registration sticker to that then stick it to the windshield.  That way you can pull it off without damaging the film. We only do 80% clear UV film.

• 2 weeks later...

Be careful tinting your windows!! Some will say nothing below the "AS1" Line, some say 4 inches some say 6 inches etc... What may be legal in your state may not be legal in another. By that I mean if it's legal in your state and you drive into another state "They CAN get you!!! Most states do not allow much other than factory tint on driver and passenger side windows but its OK to tint back and rear side windows completely black. I know of many folks whos tint had to be removed "ON-SITE" before being allowed to continue!!

• Like 1

Be careful tinting your windows!! Some will say nothing below the "AS1" Line, some say 4 inches some say 6 inches etc... What may be legal in your state may not be legal in another. By that I mean if it's legal in your state and you drive into another state "They CAN get you!!! Most states do not allow much other than factory tint on driver and passenger side windows but its OK to tint back and rear side windows completely black. I know of many folks whos tint had to be removed "ON-SITE" before being allowed to continue!!

This probably isn’t true.. if this were the case, you could get pulled over and ticketed for not having a front plate in states that require 2 plates.

16 hours ago, tmo said:

This probably isn’t true.. if this were the case, you could get pulled over and ticketed for not having a front plate in states that require 2 plates.

By the way I am a former officer on a state level. All operators of motor vehicles must comply with vehicle requirements (Private or Commercial) in the state in which they are operating a vehicle. Plates and Window tint are separate issues!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, tmo said:

This is totally true. If the police officer wants to enforce his state law on window tint. He has every right too. Most don’t because they see you have a different license plate. But they can. My sister lived in Nebraska. Drove over to Iowa and got pulled over for her tint because there front window laws are different. 

5 minutes ago, TNTSilverado said:

This is totally true. If the police officer wants to enforce his state law on window tint. He has every right too. Most don’t because they see you have a different license plate. But they can. My sister lived in Nebraska. Drove over to Iowa and got pulled over for her tint because there front window laws are different. 

You are correct when you say "Most Don't" BUT they can!!

• 2 years later...

Has anyone actually had any issues?

I just picked up a 2023 LTZ and my tint shop who I've used for 8 years just told me this. I have to sign a waiver to get Air 80 put on my front windshield (they use Llumar.) He said they'd shove towels/etc down in there to be safe, but I will need to sign the waiver.

I have 35% ceramic 3M tint on the whole windshield of my 22 AT4. It has been like this for 6 months and I have had zero issues with visibility or the electronics in the truck. I had the same on my 21 AT4, also with zero issues. I have used the same tint guy for 10+ years and he does great work. 

Zero issues.  Have the Air 70 on the windshield and 15% on the front, rear and sunroof.  I can see the HUD just fine.

As far as the inspection sticker, I ended up buying static cling stickers.  I cut it out a little bigger than the inspection sticker and then stuck it to the windshield.  Before attaching the inspection sticker to the static cling sticker, I put the adhesive side on a t-shirt so that it picks up lint.  After doing this a few times, I pressed it to the static cling sticker that is on the windshield.  Now I can peel it off with no issues and I don't have to use a scraper.  I also attached the toll stickers the same way.

• Like 1