I have about 9,500 miles on this new truck and I can not believe how noisy the brakes are! A little noise is fine, but I have never had a truck (or any other vehicle) this bad. It sounds like it's coming from the rear passenger side and intermittent - it doesn't do it all the time. It's worst during lighter braking - getting on them harder quietens them up. Then - it won't make any noise for a while - just to start up again. I've taken it to the dealer and of course, they found nothing wrong. I pull up in front of customers homes and if they are outside, they are like..."dude fix your brakes". Sucks to have invested in a new truck that sounds like a beater.

Anyone else have this issue???

That sucks man. Sucks the dealership won’t make it right - squeaky brakes are usually a pretty easy fix, unless there really is something wrong with the caliper/rotor, in which case you should have warranty coverage. A new set of pads on that side shouldn’t be too much for a dealership to make this right on a new truck sale. Take it back, hopefully they can reproduce your problem and go further than your first run at them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My 2018 had squeaky brakes, and after the third visit and complaint the dealer replaced the front pads.  It fixed it for a while and then started up again but not as bad.  I traded it for a 2019.

I have a 2020 Sierra AT4 HD.  Brakes started to squeal at about 2500 miles.  All 4 wheels did it at different times and sometimes all at the same time.  Dealership said its normal brake noise.  I laughed....it sounds like a garbage truck on Sunday morning.  Really loud and embarrassing after spending $80K on the truck.  They refused to do anything about it.  I've always done my own brakes so I just took them off, cleaned them and put anti-squeal compound on the back.  Still squealed.  Tried again with a different compound....still squealed.  Finally I took them off and since they are squared off at each end unlike most pads I've seen which have a 45 degree chamfer on them I took an angle grinder on the ends of each pad and created that 45 degree chamfer and problem solved.  I also used an anti-squeal on the back of the pad for extra dampening.  I think the squared off pad edges just vibrate at low speeds.  Don't expect your dealership to do anything.  Hope this helps.

4 minutes ago, RossEGCA said:

I have a 2020 Sierra AT4 HD.  Brakes started to squeal at about 2500 miles.  All 4 wheels did it at different times and sometimes all at the same time.  Dealership said its normal brake noise.  I laughed....it sounds like a garbage truck on Sunday morning.  Really loud and embarrassing after spending $80K on the truck.  They refused to do anything about it.  I've always done my own brakes so I just took them off, cleaned them and put anti-squeal compound on the back.  Still squealed.  Tried again with a different compound....still squealed.  Finally I took them off and since they are squared off at each end unlike most pads I've seen which have a 45 degree chamfer on them I took an angle grinder on the ends of each pad and created that 45 degree chamfer and problem solved.  I also used an anti-squeal on the back of the pad for extra dampening.  I think the squared off pad edges just vibrate at low speeds.  Don't expect your dealership to do anything.  Hope this helps.

Hey man - I printed off the bulletin mentioned in this post and took it to the dealership - they changed out all 8 pads with an updated material as a warranty repair (probably softer material). The breaks are perfectly quite now!

Edited by Mike Fetherling

Glad to hear it.  Hopefully they don't start up again down the road.  If mine start squealing again I'll have to replace them.  I looked for aftermarket pads, but they don't make any yet that I could find. 

UPDATE:  My brakes started to squeal again so I took it back to the dealer with the service bulletin and they replaced the pads.  It was quiet for 4 weeks and started to squeal again.  I took it back yesterday (dead battery again too) and they said they could not reproduce the squeal.  (it literally does it every time I drive it.)  I showed the service guy a video I took the day before and he said even if they did hear it they couldn't do anything about it because they already replaced the pads.  I asked about replacing the rotors and he said GM would not pay them to do that so they won't do it.  Seems like they aren't allowed to think outside the box to fix the problem.  I'd be happy if they just turned the rotors to see if that works.  I guess I have to pay for it myself.  

UPDATE:  I contacted GM Corporate at 800-462-8782 and told them about the brake squealing issue.  The assigned my case to Courtney who never called me even after I left her two messages.  Due to lack of communication GM escalated my "ticket" to a different office and they have now assigned a "TAC team" to work with the local GMC dealer to fix the brakes and a dead battery problem.  They're giving me a loaner car which makes me think they are going to have it for a while.  Hopefully this fixes it.  They are now squealing not only at low speeds, but when I apply them at 20-30 mph.  So frustrating!

Edited by RossEGCA

• 1 month later...

Thanks for this article guys, I have been having the issue and the dealership forgot to check the brakes when I went in for an oil change a couple months ago. Drives me crazy to hear the brakes so squeaky. I have 20k miles on mine and it's been doing it intermittently for the past few months. Always happens at low speeds with light braking, like in traffic or pulling slowly into my garage. At first I thought it was because I live off of gravel but my 2012 Silverado 1500 never squeaked like this. I have printed out the bulletin as well and intend to bring it in with me on the next oil change so that hopefully they'll take care of it for me.