What kind of MPG will a tuner get me?

i'm at work cant watch video now, did any of the testers run data logging to proove this or do we just accept what the media say's as usual? .  just doing 30 mile distance test isnt gonna prove theory. it take me 25 miles on the freeway just to move the mpg gauge on the truck  1/2 mpg.  i will have to watch thier video later

scan gauge test

• TAILGATE UP = 17.6 MPG
  • TAILGATE DOWN = 17.7 MPG
Edited by flyingfool

Tail gate down is a myth too. That's why the lip is on the tailgate cap. it helps direct airflow over the tailgate. The cab shape and cab spoiler let the air roll into the bed in a circular motion and the tailgate cap help pull the low pressure air out in a smooth path and flow. You can find videos that show it.

I forgot about an empty can I had in the otherwise empty bed of my truck. Once I got up to highway speed the can lifted and started making circles up to the top of the cab then down to the bottom of the bed. It did this for over 15 miles until a semi passed me. His side draft blew the can out of the airflow and out of the truck.

image.thumb.png.e4cfc89e130ac3f6bdacc37d215f358d.png

This is four years of mpg data logged. Over 100,000 miles. Blue line is tank by tank.

Peaks and valleys season by season.

Tell me how you pick out a 0.5 mpg increase in a data set with a 0.68 mpg summer season standard deviation?

It would be 2 mpg before it reaches 3 sigma.

59 minutes ago, flyingfool said:
  • TAILGATE UP = 17.6 MPG
  • TAILGATE DOWN = 17.7 MPG

Yeah, I bet you quit reading when you saw that. If you read the next paragraph you would have seen this:

"Did the mileage go up with the tailgate down? Yes, but the amount is so small as to be statistically insignificant. A single gust of wind during one of the 10 mile runs could account for this much difference."

Things like this are hard to nail down due to the number of variables than have to be nailed down. You would almost have to do an indirect measurement like a Wind tunnel test. Measure the drag both ways. I don't think you would find anyone that could mount an argument than less drag = more fuel even once. 

IMHO of course.  

https://www.agricover.com/downloads/pdf/2007_windtunnel.pdf

Edited by Grumpy Bear
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Grumpy Bear said:

I don't think you would find anyone that could mount an argument than less drag = more fuel even once. 

nice data. did you catch in there they have some data points for "tailgate down" and all of them are about even or slightly worse than with it up (baseline)?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Grumpy Bear said:

Things like this are hard to nail down due to the number of variables than have to be nailed down. You would almost have to do an indirect measurement like a Wind tunnel test. Measure the drag both ways. I don't think you would find anyone that could mount an argument than less drag = more fuel even once. 

IMHO of course.  

https://www.agricover.com/downloads/pdf/2007_windtunnel.pdf

impressive research there grumpster!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, gearheadesw said:

6.0 in a 3.5 ton truck, there's no real milage here to be gained.

I know, HD truck have the same MPG wether driving in the city, or on the highway or pulling 8000lbs trailer, it never gets worse or better  lol

• Like 1

Has anyone found a quality electric fan kit for the 6.0 gas engines for years that include 2017 HD trucks?

I would expect removing the traditional fan would help MPG but I cannot find a good fan kit.

Sent from the demons in my head

• Like 1

Would you be able to find one that could equal or outflow the stock fan clutch though?

Them suckers can push some air like no bodies business. Then you run into an issue with controlling it and making the computer happy.

• Like 1

Has anyone found a quality electric fan kit for the 6.0 gas engines for years that include 2017 HD trucks?

I would expect removing the traditional fan would help MPG but I cannot find a good fan kit.

Sent from the demons in my head

Doesnt work. Did it on my 01 burb. Never saw any gain

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk