potential new lt trailboss owner need advise

jw1595

i have a deal to trade my 2018 tundra for a 2020 lt trailboss for better towing and fuel mileage. it will be the 5.3 liter with 10 speed trans.

any issues with this drivetrain package i should be aware about before pulling the trigger?  

thanks in advance. 

So far I find the 10 speed auto nothing short of awesome. No long term experience but I am getting 19 to 20 in town and country driving with the 6.2. 

Btw I really like Toyota’s I’ve had a couple of Tacoma and seriously considered a Tundra but couldn’t get a deal.

Edited by Hi Yo Silver
Addition
  • Like 1

Put it this way, it's a mass produced vehicle and yes some of them will have issues but 98% of owners are not going to have any problems at all. I think you are going to be just fine with that purchase.

If you drive it nice you will get decent fuel mileage.

• Like 1

Went from a ‘17 Tundra to ‘20 Trail Boss LT 5.3l in July... so far better gas mileage is the only real plus for me. The transmission up shifts pretty smooth, but it is sometimes rough on the 3-2, 2-1 down shifts. Haven’t towed with it yet. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, atxTB said:

Went from a ‘17 Tundra to ‘20 Trail Boss LT 5.3l in July... so far better gas mileage is the only real plus for me. The transmission up shifts pretty smooth, but it is sometimes rough on the 3-2, 2-1 down shifts. Haven’t towed with it yet. 

I see a little of this or maybe I should say “more” of this about the 10 speed in Fords.  

• Like 1

If I'm not mistaken the Tundra should be pretty close to the Silverado in terms of towing if not slightly exceeding it. The 5.7 in the Tundra is no slouch. The 10 speed will get you better gas mileage, both towing and without as the Tundra's 6 speed really limits it. However I believe the Tundra comes with a bigger fuel tank and gas is cheap so in the end it's probably a wash. Honestly, if my TB came with a 35+ gallon fuel tank it'd be almost perfect for me. I was in the market for the Tundra TRD Pro but couldn't find any. I just happened to see a Trail Boss drive by one day and decided that was what I wanted and said good bye to my  Tacoma.

• Like 1

Thanks guys pulled the trigger. This is my first chevy.  So far i love it. 

Backstory, i loved the Tundra im a big toyota fanboy. I came from years of tacomas to the tundra to tow my sxs' around with comfort.  But incase most of you didn't know in 2019 toyota did away with the trans cooler on the tundra and trans temps are really high. That kind of bothered me. 

The tb has the bose stereo leather heated seats. Spray in bedliner. And i got auch a good deal i couldnt pas it up. Not to mention waaay better gas mileage lol. 

IMG_20200905_201506_048.jpg

IMG_20200905_201521_112.jpg

• Like 5

Congrats on your new truck.  Man, I really like those TB's.  It also has the safety package on it which is the one thing I wish my RST had.  Amazing that dealers aren't ordering these trucks with that option.  It's $800 and worth it in my opinion (although it should be standard IMO)

Pickup Truck Plus SUV Talk has a video out about the lack of a transmission cooler on the 2019 and up Tundras.  Toyota says it just isn't necessary.  Agree or not, that's their stance on it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Vicarod said:

Congrats on your new truck.  Man, I really like those TB's.  It also has the safety package on it which is the one thing I wish my RST had.  Amazing that dealers aren't ordering these trucks with that option.  It's $800 and worth it in my opinion (although it should be standard IMO)

Pickup Truck Plus SUV Talk has a video out about the lack of a transmission cooler on the 2019 and up Tundras.  Toyota says it just isn't necessary.  Agree or not, that's their stance on it.

yup i bought the tundra a 2019 unknowingly and come to find out ...i was a little disappointed to say the least. i was seeing temps 230 to 240 towing my sxs and 210 to 220 regular driving. coupled that with mpgs while towing. it was  time to get more practical half ton and trailboss extras lide the bedliner "lift black wheels bose stereo are all things i was going to add to the tundra. so for$ more a month. this is worth it imo.  

3 hours ago, Darkfader said:

I just traded my 18 tacoma for a LT Trail Boss with the 6.2 last Thursday. My dealer gave me more for the tacoma than I paid for it new. The Chevy is making me very happy so far but I only have 100 miles on it. Enjoy your new ride. 

thats great man,  yea thats where toyota shines they hold their value crazy!  im loving mine too 120 miles! enjoy !