ADDING 2" FACTORY LIFT TO SIERRA ELEVATION

bmdupont

I would like to have the factory lift added to my 2020 Sierra 1500 Elevation.  I spoke with the dealership and they said GM has them replacing the rear springs in additional to the lift.

Has anyone done this and can speak to if it changed their ride quality?  Parts guy said the elevation has weaker springs?  I would like to do the factory lift vs aftermarket to avoid voiding the warranty.

Thnx

Elevation.jpg.cea86459a27a195a7f492490c6842349.jpg

Edited by bmdupont

The replacement are the rear shocks.  the GM 2” lift replaces the original Rancho shock with the Rancho Monotubes shocks which are in the AT4s and Trail Boss and they are a significant change in ride quality especially with high speed bumps.  

38 minutes ago, pewterliftedz said:

That is because you most likely have composite leaf springs, the rear lift blocks are not designed to work with them.  You would have to swap leaf springs to use the blocks correctly.

Correct. I believe the LT and Elevation trims have composite springs. Thus they need a full change out for the factory lift. 

I did not buy it because I am not a fan of Rancho shocks.  I switched mine out for Bilstein last week.  The dealer told me that they are heavier duty 1/2 shafts and you get a calibration plus you do not void your warrantee.  They suckered me into their CIA with that warrantee BS.  With the Bilstein shocks you can go up 2” in the front by changing the perch clip location on the strut which is kind of what Rancho does, just moves the perch up for the trail boss.

I did not buy it because I am not a fan of Rancho shocks.  I switched mine out for Bilstein last week.  The dealer told me that they are heavier duty 1/2 shafts and you get a calibration plus you do not void your warrantee.  They suckered me into their CIA with that warrantee BS.  With the Bilstein shocks you can go up 2” in the front by changing the perch clip location on the strut which is kind of what Rancho does, just moves the perch up for the trail boss.

The trailboss struts are also a little longer. What i plane on doing in the future is using the bilstien stut designed for the trailboss to get the lift i want

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On 9/14/2020 at 6:03 PM, bmdupont said:

I would like to have the factory lift added to my 2020 Sierra 1500 Elevation.  I spoke with the dealership and they said GM has them replacing the rear springs in additional to the lift.

Has anyone done this and can speak to if it changed their ride quality?  Parts guy said the elevation has weaker springs?  I would like to do the factory lift vs aftermarket to avoid voiding the warranty.

Thnx

Elevation.jpg.cea86459a27a195a7f492490c6842349.jpg

Don't waste your money on the factory Rancho's. I swapped mine out for 5100's after 4k miles.

The Bilstein's are really nice.  A bit firmer than the Ranchos but not harsh.  A hundred thousand years ago when the Z71 package actually meant off road capability Bilstein's were part of the package.  It's simply a business case, Rancho/s are much cheaper.

21 hours ago, fatwhiteboy said:

The Bilstein's are really nice.  A bit firmer than the Ranchos but not harsh.  A hundred thousand years ago when the Z71 package actually meant off road capability Bilstein's were part of the package.  It's simply a business case, Rancho/s are much cheaper.

You don't think the Bilstein's they used back then from the factory were of the cheaper variety as well? 

The old Z71 package isn't much different than the one today, shocks, wheels and tires, stickers, back in the day it added a locker which is pretty much included anyways on many trims. The larger air filter isn't needed as they sufficiently cover that with the regular intake/filter. It does add some electronics but the package is just the same as it was a hundred thousand years ago, so  guess that means these trucks have some actual off road capability then huh? I promise a new truck will out do an old truck off road. 

Also, Ranch has higher end shocks like Bilstein does and both have bottom of the barrel base shocks for a cheap price, upgrading to a more expensive shock better be an improvement, but that is nothing to jab as the base shocks, it helps keep the price down and does everything they are asked of. I had zero issues with my shocks on my Z71 and all the back country driving they did. Finally replaced them around 50k with the Bilsteins, set them one notch below the highest setting, it does ride rougher but does handle larger bumps better. All in all a wash, not some miracle shock people make them out to be but a small improvement.

Tyler

• Like 1

I've mentioned it on multiple occasions now but my factory Rancho's on my Z71 did great off roading.  They are definitely a softer shock but that's what I want when off road because it keeps the truck from beating the snot out of me.  I have a little over 15k miles on my truck right now and the shocks are getting too soft, but I'll install the Eibachs sitting on the work bench soon enough.  Remember though, a stiff suspension isn't exactly a great thing when off road driving unless you want your fillings to rattle out of your teeth.  Soft and smooth can be a good thing when hitting fire roads and sendero's.

• Like 2