Power Tailgate Won’t Open

New 2020 Silverado 2500 with power tailgate. On vacation and went to open and it’s not working. Yes there is a tonneau cover but it’s been on for months and never had a problem before. Got the cover open and tailgate still not working. Doesn’t work with remote, button on the tailgate or button inside truck. When I push button inside cab it says “tailgate release unavailable.”

Anyone have a similar issue and hopefully a solution?

On 9/16/2020 at 1:25 AM, Tyler Jang said:

What about the manual release?

23 hours ago, kylant said:

where?

There is no manual release...not without opening the tonneau (if you've got one) and then opening the tailgate access panel that is at the top inner side of the gate.  

Edited by newdude

Too many engineers and their "bright ideas" working at GM right now LOL.
To be fair, tons of vehicles have electric trunk releases that work just fine. Sure, most of them have manual backups. Having a button only seems like a solution looking for problems.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi, I too am currently having a problem w my tailgate. If I hit the button on the back it will slowly open for about 6 inches and slam down.  If I hit the button inside of the truck it said tailgate unavailable. From the button I can still open but not properly and it will not close with the button.  Exactly the worry when I got it. 

• 1 month later...

Same issue on ‘21 Silverado 3500 HD dually.  Going to try and access it from the access panel and see why there’s no power at all to the tailgate.  Glad I don’t need to pull my 5th wheel right now.  

• 1 year later...

My wife has a 2020 Silverado 1500 and since day one we’ve had to hit the tailgate button twice to get it to open and sometimes in the winter you’ll have to hit it 15-20 times.

Today to took the panel off the inside the tail gate and found that there’s about 1/2” of play on each linkage so there’s almost no pull on the laches, there’s no adjustment so I just bent the rods to shorten them so there’s no play and now the gate opens first tons every time.