Steering unusually tight after replacing balljoints

I replaced all ball joints on my 1999 GMC Sierra Z71 days ago. I ensured they were greased, and they all went in fairly easy. However, I have noticed the steering is noticeably tighter going down the road after this was done to the truck. I would describe the steering as stiff and much less responsive due to this tight feel, and because it is so tight it will not naturally rotate back to center after a turn. It tries to but the steering is just too tight. I figured I probably tightened the upper control arm before I tightened the lower but I went back and reassessed  that. It did help a bit but it still about the same. If my memory serves me right, I can remember before I assembled everything back before I tightened the upper control arm and the tie rod, it moved freely and easily with just the bottom ball joint tightened down but when everything else was on it, it was near impossible to make the wheels turn in and out by hand, even with the wheel unlocked and on jack stands. I been continuously researching about this, and I've seen it to be a common issue but I can't figure out exactly why without everyone contradicting one another on other various forums. I did get both the bottom and upper control arms really tight with a wrench. that might be where I messed up because I know a castle nut isn't exactly meant to be extremely tight but then again, I don't know if that would have any effect on this issue. I'm thinking it might have something to do with the sequence or how I put the upper control arm back down in. Anyone experience this?