Aftermarket exhaust/intake Options

I have no interest in performing a DPF delete, the poster above made it seem like a DPF-back was providing a change in sound which - for the third time - seems incredibly unlikely. 

If you’re talking about KARNUT, he’s extremely knowledgeable on lots of what OP is asking but as I’ve already stated, these new diesel exhausts have an enormous amount of EPA detail, it’s a very tricky and questionable request only due to today’s restrictions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You clearly don't know what you're talking about.  DPF has completely change the landscape from an exhaust standpoint.  Hence my interest in substantiating any claims for sound improvements or noise level.  

All the way through 2019 there were stand alone sound deadening devices on exhaust systems. Mufflers there’re called and resonators. If they’ve been incorporated into part of the emissions. I’m sure as in the past banks or other performance after market companies will find a way to tune the exhaust. Without deleting emissions if that’s the desire. I’m sure if I craw under my brother new diesel there will be a device called a muffler that can be removed or replaced. If not I’m extremely happy I don’t need a diesel truck any more. But I doubt that’s true.

• Like 1

Yeah, that's why I want a video since the poster claimed the sound was "great".  I am skeptical until proven otherwise. 
I emailed mbrp directly and that was their err response....primarily for looks

Sent from my SM-A705U using Tapatalk

I'm surprised the EPA hasnt cracked down on gas engines, hell I'd love it if they did around my area.  Too many kids that are deleting and easily surpassing 100db sound thresholds when they floor it a mile from my house.  

I've looked at exhausts for my 2020 L5P for one reason, and that reason was to change the direction of the exhaust so it doesnt hit my fifth wheel with regeneration heat.  MBRP has one, and banks will have one soon that will be DPF back and will accomplish that.  But sound wise, they don't make a difference it is cosmetic and redirectional at best.  You would get more engine sound out of your stock L5P by deleting the resonator aka 6.6L Duramax black box under your hood and adding a CAI such as banks or S&B.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/28/2020 at 12:38 PM, KARNUT said:

All the way through 2019 there were stand alone sound deadening devices on exhaust systems. Mufflers there’re called and resonators. If they’ve been incorporated into part of the emissions. I’m sure as in the past banks or other performance after market companies will find a way to tune the exhaust. Without deleting emissions if that’s the desire. I’m sure if I craw under my brother new diesel there will be a device called a muffler that can be removed or replaced. If not I’m extremely happy I don’t need a diesel truck any more. But I doubt that’s true.

On the 3.0 diesels in the 1500, there are no mufflers, no resonators, or any sound control devices past the DPF which is right next to the trans. Past the DPF is a flex connector, followed by a particulate matter sensor (can’t modify exhaust until after this sensor), and then straight pipe out. The DPF is pretty much all the sound deadening modern diesels require. 

On the 3.0 diesels in the 1500, there are no mufflers, no resonators, or any sound control devices past the DPF which is right next to the trans. Past the DPF is a flex connector, followed by a particulate matter sensor (can’t modify exhaust until after this sensor), and then straight pipe out. The DPF is pretty much all the sound deadening modern diesels require. 

I haven’t been a diesel fan since the fuel change. They haven’t done anything since to make me one. Of course there’s little GM has done lately to make me a fan. Luckily there’s plenty of the old reliables still around.

On 9/22/2020 at 10:52 AM, Skididdy said:

I just picked up my 2020 2500HD with the Duramax on Friday.  After 500 miles I feel

compelled to upgrade the sound of the truck.  It is altogether too quiet.  I’m not looking to be the obnoxious attention-seeking jerk, but I do want the truck to make a bit of an impression.  

I’ve never owned a diesel, not have I ever added aftermarket exhaust to a truck.  Do’s or dont’s from personal experience out there?  What does or does not void warranty?

Nothing you can do really.  All of it will void warranty as it would involve the removal of the DPF in order to gain sound.  Gas engines are the last safe haven for making more sound.  

All you can do is change the appearance from the DPF back, and maybe a cold air intake if anyone offers one.  

Edited by newdude

For those looking for a sound increase without deleting or causing issues, here’s what I have done thus far:

1. Replaced that last 20 or so inches of the factory exhaust tip with Flo-pro ST11070B.  This provides NO sound change, but does look a lot better in my opinion and removes the reduced section of the factory tailpipe just before the vents.  This replacement is vented also, by the way.

https://underdog-diesel.com/products/flo-pro-vented-turn-out-tip-for-2015-2020-lml-l5p-duramax

2. removed factory intake resonator and replaced with WC fab powder coated resonator delete pipe.  This did result in a slight increase in engine/turbo sound within the cab.  It also helped slightly with turbo lag.

3. replaced factory turbo intake horn with WC fab intake horn with PCV reroute.  This resulted in greater reduction in turbo lag and more sound.  The truck does pull better,  no question.  WC fab covers their butts by saying it’s only recommended to do the pcv reroute on a deleted truck but I’ve had several people with 19’s and 20’s tell me that it will not throw codes if you do it on a stock truck.  Mine immediately threw a service engine/transmission code when I hooked everything back up and started the truck.  Dealer cleared it and it has yet to come back but I haven’t driven a lot of miles since it was cleared.  We’ll see how it goes.  

The pcv reroute (no longer having crankcase venting into the turbo inlet) won’t harm the truck at all, it can only help.  But, whether or not GM has the truck programmed to sense that the venting into the turbo isn’t happening is yet to be determined for me.  I hope the light stays off, as I like this mod and don’t want it removed.

I stayed away from the cold air intakes because my dealer told me that most of the L5p’s they see with them have (at some point) a check engine light that is the result of the mass air flow sensor malfunctioning due to the increase in air flow over it.  

23 hours ago, 2011Chevy said:

For those looking for a sound increase without deleting or causing issues, here’s what I have done thus far:

1. Replaced that last 20 or so inches of the factory exhaust tip with Flo-pro ST11070B.  This provides NO sound change, but does look a lot better in my opinion and removes the reduced section of the factory tailpipe just before the vents.  This replacement is vented also, by the way.

https://underdog-diesel.com/products/flo-pro-vented-turn-out-tip-for-2015-2020-lml-l5p-duramax

2. removed factory intake resonator and replaced with WC fab powder coated resonator delete pipe.  This did result in a slight increase in engine/turbo sound within the cab.  It also helped slightly with turbo lag.

3. replaced factory turbo intake horn with WC fab intake horn with PCV reroute.  This resulted in greater reduction in turbo lag and more sound.  The truck does pull better,  no question.  WC fab covers their butts by saying it’s only recommended to do the pcv reroute on a deleted truck but I’ve had several people with 19’s and 20’s tell me that it will not throw codes if you do it on a stock truck.  Mine immediately threw a service engine/transmission code when I hooked everything back up and started the truck.  Dealer cleared it and it has yet to come back but I haven’t driven a lot of miles since it was cleared.  We’ll see how it goes.  

The pcv reroute (no longer having crankcase venting into the turbo inlet) won’t harm the truck at all, it can only help.  But, whether or not GM has the truck programmed to sense that the venting into the turbo isn’t happening is yet to be determined for me.  I hope the light stays off, as I like this mod and don’t want it removed.

I stayed away from the cold air intakes because my dealer told me that most of the L5p’s they see with them have (at some point) a check engine light that is the result of the mass air flow sensor malfunctioning due to the increase in air flow over it.  

Interesting. Sounds like this may be the way to go. Update us with info if you experience any problems with the truck or dealer.

Will do.  I’ve probably only driven 60-70 miles since the service engine light was cleared.  Multiple startups during that time as well with a mix of very aggressive and very laid back driving styles.  Zero issues so far.  My having the entire intake system unhooked (including mass air sensor) for nearly 24hrs during install of the turbo intake horn could have been what generated the check engine light.  Once all was hooked back up and the engine started.......may have temporarily freaked  the computer out.  

1 hour ago, 2011Chevy said:

Will do.  I’ve probably only driven 60-70 miles since the service engine light was cleared.  Multiple startups during that time as well with a mix of very aggressive and very laid back driving styles.  Zero issues so far.  My having the entire intake system unhooked (including mass air sensor) for nearly 24hrs during install of the turbo intake horn could have been what generated the check engine light.  Once all was hooked back up and the engine started.......may have temporarily freaked  the computer out.  

Awesome! It definitely sounds like some mods i'd be interested in doing

On 10/17/2020 at 7:31 PM, 2011Chevy said:

I installed the S&B filter and no light. Very Happy with it. 

Check lights come on if you don't disable the Airfilter life system.